Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Tnx P,

I'd say if you've kept training since the Fields you're in great shape, what's up next for you.

I'm only 50/50 on Craughwell myself.

TbL

Not really training much due to life issues. Typically 15-20 miles per week. Hoping to up that. Also having a lot of bother from am old shoulder injury.

I'll do a local 5k on Sunday if I can. No long term goal really. I've only 90% ruled out Limerick.

The only positive is I'm getting the occasional track session in with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Today the plan called for 9 miles easy and tomorrow 16 miles steady.

Had hoped to switch the sessions around but Mrs TbL handed me a very long list of jobs that needed doing so I only got a window of an hour at 4pm. Maybe for the best as the body felt very tired and achey and despite the almost perfect running conditions I'd say 16 steady would have killed me.

Got 7 miles in easy at 8.27 pace.

Given that I'd spent half the morning cleaning the BBQ, I decided to put it to use and cooked about half of Dublin Zoo! Yum, yum.

Pity to see PConn quit as a mod, always seemed like a decent/sensible lad, I'm going to confine myself to the training logs section for a while as other parts of this forum are rapidly turning into a quagmire of rancid crap!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Dublin zoo? What on earth was on the menu? :eek:

And now you have to clean it all over again!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Dublin zoo? What on earth was on the menu? :eek:

And now you have to clean it all over again!

Haha Murph, the Connemara butcher counter 2llb special, and plenty of it. You never really know what you're getting but it's always damn tasty when coated in BBQ sauce and flamed. One of the kids said they found a piece of gazelle horn in the meat :)

Well done today.

TbL

Today the plan called for 16 miles steady.

Body still feeling stiff and lethargic and I was in no mood for this. Kept putting it off, even offering to do more jobs around the house, weeding, strimming and I even cleaned the bbq again. Mrs TbL told me around lunch time that if I wasn't gone in 10 mins, that I wouldn't get another chance to get it done!

Ran the same route from the house as the last two steady 16 mile sessions, and while it was cool and dry there was a bit of a breeze blowing. Parts of the main road were much busier than usual probably with all the Connys bringing their Ma's into the town for the day!

Happy enough with the way the run panned out and was comfortable enough for most of it, except the last mile that was mainly up an incline and into the wind. Fastest average pace that I've done for this session, @ 7.17.

Only got in around 60 miles this week but the body is telling me that I've had a tough week!

I'm on cooking duty today, better go looking for the matches for the BBQ :)

Splits:

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Today the plan called for 16 miles steady.

Body still feeling stiff and lethargic and I was in no mood for this. Kept putting it off, even offering to do more jobs around the house, weeding, strimming and I even cleaned the bbq again. Mrs TbL told me around lunch time that if I wasn't gone in 10 mins, that I wouldn't get another chance to get it done!

Ran the same route from the house as the last two steady 16 mile sessions, and while it was cool and dry there was a bit of a breeze blowing. Parts of the main road were much busier than usual probably with all the Connys bringing their Ma's into the town for the day!

Happy enough with the way the run panned out and was comfortable enough for most of it, except the last mile that was mainly up an incline and into the wind. Fastest average pace that I've done for this session, @ 7.17.

Only got in around 60 miles this week but the body is telling me that I've had a tough week!

I'm on cooking duty today, better go looking for the matches for the BBQ :)

Splits:

TbL
    Great session.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

paddybarry wrote: »
    Great session.

Agreed - you're really doing well.

Do you agree TbL??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Agree with Calvin here too. You are in great shape. I believe you will get sub 3 in Boston unless we get weird weather conditions like warm day or strong headwind. Your coach believes it everyone following this thread believes it. Our belief in you doesn't matter a toss. You have to believe in yourself and your ability. Once you do it will happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree, epic session.

Agreed - you're really doing well.

Do you agree TbL??

Tnx CJ, things seem to be finally clicking together. That said I felt I was in great shape last cycle and was really confident of going close to 3 hours and ended up having a complete mare, running a 3.10. On this cycle I'm also finding it harder on the body and the stiffness/niggles are slow to subside (maybe it's winter training). On the other hand I've run and 15 & 16 miler this week at around 7.15 pace and this time last year that was faster than my marathon pace so I'm definitely getting stronger.
    ger664 wrote: »
    Agree with Calvin here too. You are in great shape. I believe you will get sub 3 in Boston unless we get weird weather conditions like warm day or strong headwind. Your coach believes it everyone following this thread believes it. Our belief in you doesn't matter a toss. You have to believe in yourself and your ability. Once you do it will happen.

Tnx Ger, probably my weakest area is my mental strength, still need to work on that, Amsterdam last year was a disaster from that perspective and I was lucky to be able to quickly shake it off with a good run in Valencia. Hopefully another 3 weeks of solid training will have me in really good shape.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Agree, epic session.

Tnx Adrian, well done yourself today
    paddybarry wrote: »
    Great session.

Cheers Paddy and bit to go before I reach your standard.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good going, C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I meant to stick something up on your log last week but well, forgot! Ok, my two cents (having run with you last week).

-Your run in Bohermeen was a better run than Longford (that course was short, I would put all my money on it)
    -Your run with myself and Luke last week proved how strong you are. I don't think you realise how strong you really are. Myself and Luke really REALLY suffered and we didn't run a half a few days previous.
    -Don't worry about times. Keep the head down and train. You are becoming stronger and sharper with each passing day. That's all you can really do. Train, eat well and rest. Just focus in on that. I know you trust the plan so just tick off the runs and things will come together.

Focus on the training, not the race!

(.....I should really listen to my own advice!:D)

I meant to stick something up on your log last week but well, forgot! Ok, my two cents (having run with you last week).

-Your run in Bohermeen was a better run than Longford (that course was short, I would put all my money on it)
    -Your run with myself and Luke last week proved how strong you are. I don't think you realise how strong you really are. Myself and Luke really REALLY suffered and we didn't run a half a few days previous.
    -Don't worry about times. Keep the head down and train. You are becoming stronger and sharper with each passing day. That's all you can really do. Train, eat well and rest. Just focus in on that. I know you trust the plan so just tick off the runs and things will come together.

Focus on the training, not the race!

(.....I should really listen to my own advice!:D)

Tnx A,

Nice to get to get feedback and perspective like that, especially when the head was starting to drop a bit a week or two ago.

I'll have to listen to my acronym from the last cycle... TIT [Trust in Training] :)

Hope your niggle is clearing up

TbL

Yesterday: the plan called for a 4 mile nursing home special. I had to drive to Dublin late on Sunday night and I was in and out of meetings over 16 hours yesterday in a hotel at Dublin airport followed by a drive back to Galway in the small hours of the morning. Not enough minutes in the day to get any running done.

Today: the plan called for 4/8 easy miles an/pm and tomorrow's session was to be 15 miles 6 easy, 5 steady and 4 PMP.

Today ran away from me and it was 8pm before I knew it. The end of this week is also going to be very busy with family events so I cobbled together a session that I thought would be beneficial but in hindsight was probably foolish. I decided to do a long run with 10 easy, 5 steady, 4 at MP and 1 cool down easy. Drove into Barna and parked beside the 12 hotel, headed down Westside, over the quincentennial bridge and down past the RTC before turning and retracing my steps. Felt grand even for the steady miles but the incline back up Westside took it out of me and I couldn't find the MP gear, tried a couple of surges to see if I could tap into it but it wasn't to be. Dialled the pace right back and plodder the 3 miles back to the car. 20 miles done. Not great but no disaster!

Splits:

TbL

Decent long run there C. I stand to be corrected by your coach but I am pretty sure he will tell you that you can mess with the recovery/easy run if you like (have to) but done f8ck with the sessions if you can avoid it as they have been designed with a particular stimulus in mind.....but as I said I stand to be corrected :)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Decent long run there C. I stand be correct by your coach but I am pretty sure he will tell you that you can mess with the recovery/easy run if you like (have to) but done f8ck with the sessions if you can avoid it as they have been designed with a particular stimulus in mind.....but as I said I stand to be corrected :)

Probably right, M, I'd usually run it by him but it was a last minute decision late in the evening, he's away and I didn't want to bother him so tried to kill two birds with one stone, as I won't get a long run in this weekend. I'll text him later and see if I can get the session done another day this week

TbL

Had planned on doing yesterday's 4/8 easy miles double today but another early (and late) day at work put paid to that. Eventually got out just before 8pm and did 10.31 miles around the city and out the prom at @ 8.15.

Legs a bit heavy and I tired over the last two miles.

When I got in from my LR last night I has a smokey bacon crisp sandwich, absofcukin lootly delicious, and crisp sandwiches have been dancing before my eyes all day. Must resist :)

TbL

Today the plan called for 4/8 miles easy double.

I had a family event on today and got a 4 miles in very easy early this morning, I'm just in the door and have zero will to go out again. I'm a bit pissed off with myself but tomorrow is down for a 4 mile recovery run so I'll try and get more miles in tomorrow.

More family stuff over the weekend so I'll struggle with sessions/miles, and frustratingly I've just been told that I've to be in London Mon-Thur next week. Very hard to get any time in when I'm over there never mind routes for a decent session. This feckin work lark is startin to interfere with my running!!

TbL

You and your f***ing crisp sambo's :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

You and your f***ing crisp sambo's :(:(

Did you have them for breakfast ???

kit3 wrote: »
    Did you have them for breakfast ???

No last night after reading here and the reguratated this am on my run :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

No last night after reading here and the reguratated this am on my run :):)

Ugg - lovely first time round but definitely not next morning :)

Today: Made up for yesterday's lost miles.

This morning I got 4 miles in nice and easy in lovely morning sunshine.

Another long day at work and I had to force myself to go out again, did another 8 miles around the UCG pitches in Dangan, @ 8.01 pace. Had hoped to do 10 but it was getting dark almost as fast as I was losing interest! Back on plan mileage wise this week but another family event tomorrow will jeopardise tomorrow's miles.

The canning of the PMP miles from last Tuesday is still irritating me and I'm still clinging to the faint hope that I'll be able to get the Craughwell 10 done in between work and family commitments on Sunday so that I'll have some quality this week.

Total miles today 12

TbL

Yesterday: plan called for 8 miles easy. Had a family function that took up most of the day and night and unfortunately didn't get a run in, I did however get some core work done on a bouncy castle :)

Today: planed for 3 miles easy either side of the Craughwell 10 mile race. Late last night it looked like I wasn't going to get any running done as I had to work for the day. At 11 a gap of a couple of hours opened up as we had to reconvene in the afternoon, luckily I had the gear in the car and I started making my way towards Craughwell. Pulled into the car park and by pure chance Ger64 almost crashed into me as he pulled in alongside :)

Had a good chat with Ger and we made our way up to the hall to collect our numbers and tee shirts. Number collection was very easy and the girl doing the tee shirts, took a quick look at me and said, "large"? I did my usual and feigned disgust and looked a little hurt, "small", I retorted. She did a bit of a double take and opened her mouth, but turned and picked up a small tee. A Jesus I said, give us an x large "I'm only messing". She got a little red and said "you're a gas man" as she handed me the xl. I was a couple of steps away and I could have sworn I hear her say, "stupid auld prick" :)

Walked back to the car with Ger and we both noticed that there was a fair old breeze blowing. The start was about 1k walk away from the registration and as I had to make some phone calls I didn't get much of a warm up.

Nice weather for it but the wind was tough and you were running directly into it for the first 4 miles. Looked at the watch after the first few 100m downhill and it showed 5.44 pace! Applied the breaks a bit and tried to seek shelter in groups from the wind. Ended up surging from group to group until about mile 4 when I ended up running on my own for the rest of the race. Haven't run between groups like that before and I'm not sure that it didn't take more out of me that I benefited.

I crossed through a yellow marking on the ground saying 10k in a smidgen under 40 mins.

The last 2.5 miles were a bit peculiar and I had thought that I'd make up a bit of time here, the road surface on mile 9 was a little rough and mile 10 was mainly uphill, I had planned on attempting a sub 6 last mile but the hill put paid to that. Pleased that no one passed me from mile 4, but vaguely disappointed with the finishing miles. Finished with a chip time of 64.25, had a quick chat with Ger, couldn't do a warm down with him as if to go back to work and as a result I also missed the legendary after race spread.

Chip time 64.25

Splits:

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great result, I'd imagine that would have you right back on sub 3 shape by McMillan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Yesterday: plan called for 8 miles easy. Had a family function that took up most of the day and night and unfortunately didn't get a run in, I did however get some core work done on a bouncy castle :)

Today: planed for 3 miles easy either side of the Craughwell 10 mile race. Late last night it looked like I wasn't going to get any running done as I had to work for the day. At 11 a gap of a couple of hours opened up as we had to reconvene in the afternoon, luckily I had the gear in the car and I started making my way towards Craughwell. Pulled into the car park and by pure chance Ger64 almost crashed into me as he pulled in alongside :)

Had a good chat with Ger and we made our way up to the hall to collect our numbers and tee shirts. Number collection was very easy and the girl doing the tee shirts, took a quick look at me and said, "large"? I did my usual and feigned disgust and looked a little hurt, "small", I retorted. She did a bit of a double take and opened her mouth, but turned and picked up a small tee. A Jesus I said, give us an x large "I'm only messing". She got a little red and said "you're a gas man" as she handed me the xl. I was a couple of steps away and I could have sworn I hear her say, "stupid auld prick" :)

Walked back to the car with Ger and we both noticed that there was a fair old breeze blowing. The start was about 1k walk away from the registration and as I had to make some phone calls I didn't get much of a warm up.

Nice weather for it but the wind was tough and you were running directly into it for the first 4 miles. Looked at the watch after the first few 100m downhill and it showed 5.44 pace! Applied the breaks a bit and tried to seek shelter in groups from the wind. Ended up surging from group to group until about mile 4 when I ended up running on my own for the rest of the race. Haven't run between groups like that before and I'm not sure that it didn't take more out of me that I benefited.

I crossed through a yellow marking on the ground saying 10k in a smidgen under 40 mins.

The last 2.5 miles were a bit peculiar and I had thought that I'd make up a bit of time here, the road surface on mile 9 was a little rough and mile 10 was mainly uphill, I had planned on attempting a sub 6 last mile but the hill put paid to that. Pleased that no one passed me from mile 4, but vaguely disappointed with the finishing miles. Finished with a chip time of 64.25, had a quick chat with Ger, couldn't do a warm down with him as if to go back to work and as a result I also missed the legendary after race spread.

Chip time 64.25

Splits:

TbL
    You're flying at the moment, keep it up.

Nice one, C. Good solid splits there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Good work. Was a beautiful day for running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Late last night it looked like I wasn't going to get any running done as I had to work for the day.

Nice racing today and things are coming together nicely but working on a Sunday TbL, what are you like? Didn't the Lord himself give us the day off so we can watch the hurling. :P.

as a result I also missed the legendary after race spread.

It was hard going but I ate your share as well :eek:

• Advertisement

Nice racing today and things are coming together nicely but working on a Sunday TbL, what are you like? Didn't the Lord himself give us the day off so we can watch the hurling. :P.

Tnx KU, work getting in the way of my running is one thing, but I didn't get to see a minute of any sport all weekend, things gotta change!!
    It was hard going but I ate your share as well :eek:

I didn't see any smokey bacon sambos there Ger, we'll run today, I'm sure TE is pissed :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running TbL, coming into good form at the right time.

+1 Nice running and just as well to stay away from the cake. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Murph_D wrote: »
    +1 Nice running and just as well to stay away from the cake. Well done.

The cake probably sticks to his false teeth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done today.
    Looking good for the sub 3.

p.s. You ran a race in Galway but work got in the way, yet you can fly to Dubai, Jordan, NYC, London etc. without it affecting your training.
    Explain please.....:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great result, I'd imagine that would have you right back on sub 3 shape by McMillan?

Not quite Meno, just checked it there, it has me in AuldmanKing territory, 3.00:49, and I'm a lot older :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not quite Meno, just checked it there, it has me in AuldmanKing territory, 3.00:49, and I'm a lot older :)

TbL

That's FBOT01 territory.
    Auldmanking ran 2:59:96 :cool:

TbL

This calculator gives you 2:59:34. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

yaboya1 wrote: »
    That's FBOT01 territory.
    Auldmanking ran 2:59:96 :cool:

ouch, i'm sure FBOT will appreciate that reminder...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

That's a really nice run there TbL - I'd say it got warm enough out there too? Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

TbL

Once there's no snipers, it's yours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

TbL

Fwiw a friend of mine ran 3:00:01 in DCM last year. You beat him by 10 seconds yesterday. You're there!

Well done btw. Savage running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Only catching up now. Congrats on yesterday - another fantastic run!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Remember, McMillan assumed you train for that distance and that you fully tapered, neither assumptions are correct in your case.

I think you're looking very good for a sub3, you're a minute faster over 10 miles than I was at the same stage when I ran mine.

snailsong wrote: »
    Fwiw a friend of mine ran 3:00:01 in DCM last year. You beat him by 10 seconds yesterday. You're there!

Tnx P,

I was keeping an eye out for you but assume you couldn't make it?

TbL

Remember, McMillan assumed you train for that distance and that you fully tapered, neither assumptions are correct in your case.

I think you're looking very good for a sub3, you're a minute faster over 10 miles than I was at the same stage when I ran mine.

Thanks.

That's really interesting Toblerone, I've read a couple of your race reports and you're a fair bit quicker than me, do you mind telling me where you ran yours, what times were you doing the half in, off what sort of mileage. (I've checked before but I don't think you've a log?)

TbL

Plan today called for the 4 mile nursing home special. Was up at 4.30 this morning as I'm in Redhill for the next 3 nights. Opportunities to run will be scare so gotta take whatever comes my way! At least I'm not in that chicken coop hotel at Gatwick airport this time, there is no natural air in the rooms and you're probably breathing in the fumes from thousands of pairs of socks and jocks mingled with the sweaty vapors of the great unwashed. The hotel in Nutfield near Redhill at least has windows that you can open and it has a decent gym and pool.

Got into the gym just before last admittance at 9.30 and got 6.4k done on the treadmill in 39.34.

Legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday.

TbL

McMillan can't take into account the undulations of Craughwell and the stiff breeze for the first four Miles yesterday. Boston is no walk in the park either but you ran a good race on a tough course yesterday, so it will stand to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Once there's no snipers, it's yours :)
    snailsong wrote: »

I'm taking back what I said.

Its not yours and you are not there yet. Plenty of more work to do.
    One of the complexities of this forum is the good nature of "giving support" that eventually comes across as "creating an expectation".

When I ran 3:00:36 I was so upset - I mean wtf - I had just ran the race of a lifetime.
    Support for you TBL is great and its a fantastic tool to use when things are getting tough out there, but caution on the expectation that you'll place on yourself - it can be crippling afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I'm taking back what I said.

Its not yours and you are not there yet. Plenty of more work to do.
    One of the complexities of this forum is the good nature of "giving support" that eventually comes across as "creating an expectation".

When I ran 3:00:36 I was so upset - I mean wtf - I had just ran the race of a lifetime.
    Support for you TBL is great and its a fantastic tool to use when things are getting tough out there, but caution on the expectation that you'll place on yourself - it can be crippling afterwards.
    Just wait till d fockerz start a takin bets on u...

Advertisement