Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

I'm taking back what I said.

Its not yours and you are not there yet. Plenty of more work to do.
    One of the complexities of this forum is the good nature of "giving support" that eventually comes across as "creating an expectation".

When I ran 3:00:36 I was so upset - I mean wtf - I had just ran the race of a lifetime.
    Support for you TBL is great and its a fantastic tool to use when things are getting tough out there, but caution on the expectation that you'll place on yourself - it can be crippling afterwards.
    +1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Tnx P,

I was keeping an eye out for you but assume you couldn't make it?

TbL

Unfortunately not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Thanks.

That's really interesting Toblerone, I've read a couple of your race reports and you're a fair bit quicker than me, do you mind telling me where you ran yours, what times were you doing the half in, off what sort of mileage. (I've checked before but I don't think you've a log?)

TbL

No, I don't a log (I find it hard enough to write up a race report once in a while, never mind a log!). But I can confirm that I definitely wasn't running quicker than your times before I did the sub-3.

I ran my half about 6 wks before DCM. I came in at 1.25.10, which I was very happy which at the time, as it was the only race that indicated I was somewhat on target. It was Athlone 1/2 marathon which is fairly flat and they had 85 mins pacers - who personally paced me for the last 3 miles (all other runners went on a head or dropped off)! A race I would highly suggest for anyone running DCM.

Initially I was working off the 50 P&D plan but with about 10 wks ago, I realised from talking to a friend and reading the sub-3 support thread that this kinda mileage was probably not going to cut it so I increased moved over to the 70 mile P&D plan over a 3 wkd period. I really did wonder some times if the plan was effective for me. I don't know much about running and I just felt therer was a lot of "slow" miles in it. But the Athlone race showed I was on the right path.

There are more experience and betters runners who can give better advice than me about running a marathon. You seem to be similar to me in that you have your heart set on sub-3 - my suggestion is to have no Plan B and know that in advance of the race so that when it hurts, you're not even going to entertain the thought of it when the devil on the shoulder start whispering you could slow down and still get a PB.

As AMK said, still a lot of work to do, but you're committed and I doubt it that your complacent. Just get yourself to the starting line in one piece!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

my suggestion is to have no Plan B

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Yesterday the plan called for 4/9 miles easy double and today's run was to be 10 miles easy. Very long day yesterday with work and by the time I got back to the hotel the gym was shut, hit the scratcher and conked out for the night. No running. Very frustrating at this stage of the plan to be leaking miles.

Today: got up just after 5am so I'd have a hour to get some running done. Was surprised by how bright it was but it was also baltic out with heavy frozen dew on the grass and the cars were iced over. Paths were fine though which was the main thing.

Ran from the hotel through Nutfield and Bletchingly villages and to the outskirts of Godstone before turning and heading back to the hotel. Nice enough run through small typical English villages along fields and hedgerows but the paths were poor and very narrow in places and I was been buzzed by angry grey squirrels and the cars that flashed by. Got 7.12 miles done @ 8.22.

Another evening getting back late to the hotel, barely made it into the gym and towards the end they were hustling me out the door. Got just over 6 miles done on the treadmill very easy.

Total for the day, just over 13.

I'm supposed to have a session tomorrow but I've to stay here later than expected so won't get it done tomorrow and will try and jig it into Friday. I'll be lucky to get a couple of easy miles in tomorrow. Grrrrrr

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

With a general election looming, now is the time to get our prospective candidates to canvass on a 'marathon leave' ticket ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    With a general election looming, now is the time to get our prospective candidates to canvass on a 'marathon leave' ticket ;)

Haha, DG, "marathonity leave" :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

If its of any guidance re sub 3 times, I ran 2:58:30 in Amsterdam last year (went out at 2:56 pace), 7 weeks prior I did a half in 1:23:33 and 5 weeks prior I did a 10 miler in 1:02:13. Post marathon I did a 5K in 17:43 and a 10K in 37:18.

Thursday: plan called for a session. Another long day that ended up with no running culminating in the ignominy of me having the hole sniffed off me by the customs drugs dog as I came through Shannon airport last night!!

Today: plan called for 6 miles easy but I decided to try and get yesterday's session done instead. 3 miles wu/cd with 6 x 1 mile @ 6.10 pace off two half mins recovery.

Met a friend of mine for lunch today. He told me that he had coffee with two lads that I know (but not that well and wouldn't have seen them in a couple of years). He relayed an excerpt of the conversation that they had:

Lad A: "think I saw TBL last Sunday at the Craughwell 10"

My buddy: "yea I think he ran sub 65 mins"

Lad B: "Jesus, the fat fcuker ran 65 mins?"

Lad A: "he's lost a fair bit of weight"

Lad B: "yea but has he still got that ****ty running style?"

Lad A: "yep, still runs like a camel!"

Lad B: " a feckin constipated camel"

Anyway the camel hit the pitches around UCG around 5pm, was tight for time so only did 2.5 mile warm up.

decided to do 1610 metres on the track for the mile reps.

This was an awful lot harder than I expected.

Shoe lace opened on the last rep but I was tiring by then anyway. Hated this session and wanted to can it after every mile but sucked it up and finished. Only half mile cool down.

The missus booked a surprise few days away in Ballyhoura for the next 4 days, surprise is right, I'll really struggle to run now and I'm starting to feel the sub 3 is inexorably slipping away before my eyes.

Really really frustrated!

Splits:

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Thursday: plan called for a session. Another long day that ended up with no running culminating in the ignominy of me having the hole sniffed off me by the customs drugs dog as I came through Shannon airport last night!!

Today: plan called for 6 miles easy but I decided to try and get yesterday's session done instead. 3 miles wu/cd with 6 x 1 mile @ 6.10 pace off two half mins recovery.

Met a friend of mine for lunch today. He told me that he had coffee with two lads that I know (but not that well and wouldn't have seen them in a couple of years). He relayed an excerpt of the conversation that they had:

Lad A: "think I saw TBL last Sunday at the Craughwell 10"

My buddy: "yea I think he ran sub 65 mins"

Lad B: "Jesus, the fat fcuker ran 65 mins?"

Lad A: "he's lost a fair bit of weight"

Lad B: "yea but has he still got that ****ty running style?"

Lad A: "yep, still runs like a camel!"

Lad B: " a feckin constipated camel"

Anyway the camel hit the pitches around UCG around 5pm, was tight for time so only did 2.5 mile warm up.

decided to do 1610 metres on the track for the mile reps.

This was an awful lot harder than I expected.

Shoe lace opened on the last rep but I was tiring by then anyway. Hated this session and wanted to can it after every mile but sucked it up and finished. Only half mile cool down.

The missus booked a surprise few days away in Ballyhoura for the next 4 days, surprise is right, I'll really struggle to run now and I'm starting to feel the sub 3 is inexorably slipping away before my eyes.

Really really frustrated!

Splits:

TbL
    Great session, you are in fantastic shape. I bet you wouldn't have thought that session was possible this time last year.

• Advertisement

paddybarry wrote: »
    Great session, you are in fantastic shape. I bet you wouldn't have thought that session was possible this time last year.

Tnx Paddy,

Mileage leakage has been horrendous the last 3 weeks, and this Sundays LR with MP segments is is jeopardy as I'll be away with the clan. With just over 3 weeks to go it's far from ideal, and the thought of having to run 26 miles at 6.45 Garmin pace seems like a huge ask!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Why are you panicking? Your session went well, your training overall is going well, you have lost weight and unless the Missus intends tying you to the bed I'm sure you can get your runs in! I think you are thinking too much, stop thinking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Stop acting like a big moany auld blouse and trying to talk yourself out of the sub 3. You have the hard work done, go out and execute the race like you know you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Forget about the sub 3 for a couple of days. There are some nice running trails down there bring the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

ger664 wrote: »
    Forget about the sub 3 for a couple of days. There are some nice running trails down there bring the runners.

That's what I was thinking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

tang1 wrote: »
    Stop acting like a big moany auld blouse and trying to talk yourself out of the sub 3. You have the hard work done, go out and execute the race like you know you can.

+1

No need to put pressure on yourself, but equally don't be talking like you can't achieve your goal. A couple of days missed here and there won't change the fact that you've put in a great block of training. I have always felt you managed to talk yourself out of running well in Seville last year in similar circumstances (correct me if I'm wrong), letting an average week get the better of you mentally when your training had been good. Don't make the same mistake again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Keep the faith, TbL... What will you be like when you start tapering....???? :eek:

Thanks folks.

Appreciate the support and grounding.

Got a call from Salmon Eile and fair play to him he spent a good bit of time going through it with me.

Sanity restored.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

In fairness, tBL, some of the sessions you've done in this block have been massive, both physically and mentally - for example, 20-odd miles off the plane from Mexico. Those are what sill stand to you on the day, not the few piddly runs you've missed.

Believe in your coach and your training and just go do it...

Yesterday: no running again, quality family time trumped running. I can't remember the last time I've had 3 days no running in a week!

Today: the plan called for 3 miles wu/cd with 3 x 4 miles @ 6.45 pace off 1k steady. Knew I wouldn't get the time to do this today so agreed with coach to push it out to next week.

Decided to ditch the Garmin today and just head off with the stopwatch when I got an opportunity. Eventually got going around 5.30 and hit a combination of trail, forest paths and tarred roads. All of them had hills and more hills!!!
    Some lovely scenic areas and if I was more of a crusty I'd be raving about it been good for your soul :)

The hills around Ballyhoura are savage and if you were training on them regularly you'd build up some strength base.

Got 114 mins done at varying paces, depending on what part of the hill I was on :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds perfect. Good call.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sounds perfect. Good call.

Tnx Murph,

Not much phone signal around here, so I'm hanging off the top of a tree trying to catch up on some logs while the kids are watching a Dvd!

Hope you had a good run yesterday.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Radio silence is good for the soul. Ditch the smartphone for a few hours. ;)

Today: plan called for a 4 mile nursing home special. Got back to base at 7pm and hit the roads after a quick change into the gear. Headed towards the village of Glenroe, (no sign of Biddy or Miley though!), it was fierce windy and I had to contend with some nice hills. A feckin bird crapped on me, must have some aim to hit me in that wind and it must have had a dodgy vindaloo, the size of it!!!!!

With the stretch in the evening managed to get 6 miles in @ 8.19.

With thanks to CM for the route suggestions.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good luck a bird pooping on you, the winged kind now TbL not the two legged kind!!

Yesterday: plan called for 10 miles easy. Spent the day in Fota Wildlife Park with the clan and afterwards Mrs TbL wanted to see Cobh. Late and dark when I got back to base, no run!

Today: plan called for 3m wu/cd, 3 x 4 miles @ 6.45 pace off 1k steady.

Drove up from Ballyhoura mid morning and when we got to the outskirts of Spiddal, I got changed and ran home via Rossaveal. Was hoping that this session would be a confidence booster but it wasn't to be. There was a very strong wind blowing and I had it directly in my face for 90% of the miles, almost decided to just do an easy 20, trying to justify it to myself, long drive, have a head cold, to wet, too windy yada yada! In the end I decided to try and run the MPM around 7 min pace as I reckoned with the weather that might be in or around MP effort. Decided to do half mile steady after each rep rather than the planned kilometre so that I'd be able to manage the watch better.

Conditions were awful out there but typically it stopped raining just as I finished the reps!

Found this a struggle tbh and the last mile was a killer into the wind and up a decent hill. I posted on Overpronators log that he should ignore a "failed" session and plough on and I think I need to take my own advice.

I am where I am!

Total miles 18.73

Rep splits:

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I swear young ecoli is cogging.

Last night I had 3 x 5k at 6:45!!!
    I also failed to hit the target

menoscemo wrote: »
    I swear young ecoli is cogging.

Last night I had 3 x 5k at 6:45!!!
    I also failed to hit the target

Good to see I'm in illustrious company so Meno!

I think I now know what's happening with the training plans:

Ecoli is actually coaching the Turd and he's giving you his seconds :)

TbL

Lads yesterdays wind was brutal. I had 7 miles @ mp -10 down to do. Did a 3.5 out and back Into the wind I only hit MP +15 was leaking 25 secs a mile at the same effort. Just pray we get that wind tucking up behind us in Boston TBL

Ger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lads yesterdays wind was brutal.

Agreed, but TbL did his today :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    Agreed, but TbL did his today :p

Just back in from it its still as bad or a least thats my excuse

Just back in from it its still as bad or a least thats my excuse

It was still pretty gusty earlier here too.

Phone weather app has the winds down here at 40kph!

TbL

Phone weather app has the winds down here at 40kph!

TbL

Sure that's not even 25mph.......:pac:

Plan today called for a 4 mile nursing home special. Got this shuffle done nice and easy and nice and early. Legs felt grand and as I'm taking the young lad to the "theatre of dreams" (yawn :)) to see Villa on Saturday and won't get to run, I decided to do another few miles after work.

Did another 6.3 miles around the UCG pitches in miserable drizzle.

Did a few auld man stretches to Groove Armadas "I see you baby, shakin that ass", don't know what that's all about, my auld man ass randomly shakes and wobbles of its own volition all the time :)

Total miles 10.3

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Did a few auld man stretches to Groove Armadas "I see you baby, shakin that ass", don't know what that's all about, my auld man ass randomly shakes and wobbles of its own volition all the time :)

Total miles 10.3

TbL

:D Think that kind of spontaneity and freedom can only come with age & maturity :cool:

kit3 wrote: »
    :D Think that kind of spontaneity and freedom can only come with age & maturity :cool:

Hey Kit,

And a serious lack of collagen ;)

TbL

Today called for a 4/8 easy mile double.

Still trying to shake off a head cold so took it nice and handy, weather was a bit better but I wanted to stay warm so I put on long sleeve skins for the first time this year.

Did 5 miles easy on a local loop taking in the sea foreshore.

Finished work around 3pm and headed over to the UCG pitches. Got 10 miles done in lovely sunshine.

Total for day 15.

Down in Shannon now as heading to Manchester early in the morning, flying back into Dublin tomorrow night so tomorrow will be an enforced rest day.

Just over 2 weeks to go to Boston, it's getting real now!!!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I hope ecoli has cleared his calendar for the next two weeks to be available for panicky calls :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm very jealous of all the boardsies who are running a spring marathon, now just a case of looking after yourself and going out and reaping the benefits of a great training cycle.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    I hope ecoli has cleared his calendar for the next two weeks to be available for panicky calls :)

I'm thinking of moving in with him Anna ;)

TBL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'm thinking of moving in with him Anna ;)

TBL

And I'd say that is on Mrs TbL's suggestion :)

Today: 21.4 miles easy.

TbL

Today: 21.4 miles easy.

TbL

Going for a more UM1-style entry there I see. Nice run. How are you feeling now about the big day ?

Today: 25 mins recovery around the UCG pitches.

TbL

Took a late lunch, did 35 mins easy around the UCG pitches that were bathed in glorious sunshine.

Real slog, didn't feel the love at all.

10 days to go, to Boston.

One things for sure, I won't be overtrained!

TbL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When are you heading over to Boston? I'd say you can't wait anyway!

Today: 25 mins recovery around the UCG pitches.

TbL

Are you following the RayCun training plan? :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    When are you heading over to Boston? I'd say you can't wait anyway!

Tnx Adrian,

Heading tomorrow week, I'm definitely looking forward to the experience. Watched a video of the course filmed by someone who cycled the route and it's fairly downhill alright.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Are you following the RayCun training plan? :)

I wish I was at this stage P.

Picked up an strain/injury from don't know where (and no, not from some part of my taper madness brain) and I'm finding it very difficult to run with it. Mondays LR ended up with me walking for the first time in ages on a training run. Have had 3 hours massage on it over the last 3 days and it's improving slowly but TBH it's pissing me off as running with it is very uncomfortable.

Hoping to run for an hour easy tomorrow.

TbL

:(

I think any of you's running Boston seem to be carrying some sort of niggle. Hopefully you'll be alright on Monday week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement