Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hope that gets sorted quickly, TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

annapr wrote: »
    Hope that gets sorted quickly, TbL

Ditto or else I'll be the only fool on the Dry Sunday Night:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hope it sorts itself out for you TbL & things are good for Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

All the work is in the bank now, and boy have you banked some work...just do as you're told and stay calm :) (actually you can pop over to this stupid thread in the main forum and let off some steam there....ooooh, I see :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    All the work is in the bank now, and boy have you banked some work...just do as you're told and stay calm :) (actually you can pop over to this stupid thread in the main forum and let off some steam there....ooooh, I see :D )

Haha, DG, some badly needed venting!

The family have moved into a tent in the garden :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hope the strain/tweak is nothing sinister TbL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Hope the strain/tweak is nothing sinister TbL.

+ 1 to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope that sorts out for you. Work is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hoping to run for an hour easy tomorrow.

Take the weekend off. I know, it'll drive you crazy, but you want whatever it is to recover completely before the race. No point going to Boston with an extra two hours of easy runs under your belt but also a lingering strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and wise words from jebuz on his blog
    jebuz wrote: »
    if I look at the bigger picture I've been training for this marathon since early November. Looking back on my log I've got some solid work done with good consistent milage not to mention the gains from the last marathon block. Overall I'm confident and if everything goes my way on Sunday there's no reason I can't be coming back here with a healthy new PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

can't say I know a whole pile about good marathon training TbL but when I read through your log over the past few months there's a hell of a lot of really strong work in there, not sure there's a whole lot to be gained at this stage other than getting healthy for the start line

Best of luck with the niggle, sure we all need a bit of luck along the way !

Jesus this no running lark is head melting.

I've probably seen my masseuse more than my wife in the last week and she's had her hands on me more than Mrs TbL has had this year :)

Did more odd jobs around the house this weekend than a jamboree of Boy Scouts on "bob a job" week!

Decided to test the foot with a
    short run today. Did 2 miles very easy and while there has been a big improvement it's still not right.
    Not sure what to do at this stage, if I rest it for the week it'll be two weeks with virtually no running. I'll have a word with Coach later and decide.

Frustrating!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

very frustrating. When are you flying out ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    very frustrating. When are you flying out ?

In London tomorrow and Tuesday with work PC, and flying from Shannon on Friday so not much scope for much running anyway. Frustrating is an understatement!

TbL

as other have said, the work is done. You would've been just ticking over this week anyway. Think of it as an extended rest day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hows the head today. Any clearer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck TBL - you have such an amount of work done I really hope you are able to give it everything on the day. Fingers crossed for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Not sure what to do at this stage, if I rest it for the week it'll be two weeks with virtually no running. I'll have a word with Coach later and decide.

Frustrating!

TbL

As previous posters has said, you've a lot of miles in the bank. Important thing at this stage is to be disciplined and not to do anything stupid out of frustration.

I really should start to listen to some of my own advice. :rolleyes:

The very best of luck TBL, lots of people with fingers crossed it goes well for you on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

As previous posters has said, you've a lot of miles in the bank. Important thing at this stage is to be disciplined and not to do anything stupid out of frustration.

I really should start to listen to some of my own advice. :rolleyes:

Do as I say and not as I do. The best advice that anyone can give someone about giving advice:D

I agree with everyone else TbL. Making it to the startline and giving yourself a chance should be the main aim now. You don't want to aggravate the injury and not make it, you would regret that far more. I've been very impressed with your training if that means anything and you put yourself in a position to seriously challenge your goal. Don't mess it up by trying to push now when there is no need to.

Get yourself to the line and give yourself the best chance to execute. All the best, gwan the lemon!:)

• Advertisement

Best of luck in Boston TbL, i hope it all works out for you and you get to the start line healthy. You can assess how you feel then, if its not there its not there(i hope it will be), there is plenty other marathons about to achieve your goal. Enjoy the experience either way.

Thanks for messages of support, much appreciated.

Was in London yesterday and today and another two days without a run. Foot felt better this morning but after spending most of the day on my feet and dashing around airports it flared up again. The more alarming thing was that I was out of breath after a short sprint from one terminal to the other in Gatwick. :)

Decided that to give myself the best chance of succes next Monday that I won't run again till at least the weekend.

Over and out till Boston!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Good luck TBL - give it a solid effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Best of luck man.....

Bon voyage and wishing you the very best, you have earned it...and some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Dfiu....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

I wonder what the record number of thanks for a post on A/R/T is.

Good luck tbl, sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.

Hard to come on here tonight and type this.

There's fist marks on my steering wheel and steering wheel marks on my forehead after leaving Merlin Imaging Clinic this evening.

My last sentence here said "over and out till Boston", unfortunately it's now out and over for me for Boston!!!

Last two days have been a roller coaster, yesterday I hopped from masseuse to physio to GP.

The masseuse was concerned that most of the stiffness had returned accompanied by a reappearance of swelling, she needled and cupped me (not the time for puerile jokes :) ) with only some success. A quick visit to a recommended physio (works with runners and Tri heads), really had me concerned as she couldn't rule out a stress fracture to the metatarsal head! She said that I'd be crazy to run and if it was a fracture I could do serious damage. She recommended an MRI, only problem was that it was after 6 and getting and appointment that quickly was going to be a challenge. To cut a long story short I got a scan at 5pm this evening, the Scottish lad doing it was telling me about his Ma and how she had run the Dundee marathon in the eighties, I was nodding and smiling but just wanted to shout "just scan me fcuking foot Jock".

Took about 30 mins and once done I asked him what the story was, He said he didn't know as the radiologist needed to do that. Typically with the way my luck has been panning out there was no one around to read it and it'll be done tomorrow at the earliest!!!!

Have to say that the one solid stable constant in all this has been my coach Ecoli, called him from the car and given that I was due to fly tomorrow morning and not having the scan results we talked it through before deciding the only real option was to pull out. He's been very good through all this.

The foot feels better today but still not quite right although I'm skeptical that I have a stress fracture I can't take the chance of damaging my foot for a hobby (even one that I take so seriously)

Best of luck to the lads running Boston.

Hopefully I'll be back very soon to regale ye all with gripping accounts of my Nursing Home Specials :)

Ps. Meno ya nordy knob try and post a decent target in London for me to beat over the summer :)

Pps. Thanks for all the pm' sand messages of support it at times like that the support aspect of this community really makes a difference.

I'll be back, TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

My god, all the marathoners are cursed around here! That sucks TBL, but you're being clever and there will be other races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

very sorry to hear that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ah jesus, that's terrible.
    I would have thought you'd go over to Boston anyway even if not running it, just to not waste the flights and hotels.
    Unless you have some sort of Insurance scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

feck, hard luck but there will be other marathons hopefully. Best to call the plug if there is the chance of long term injury. Just so hard when it's this close to race day when you've put all the work in.

I hope DrQ is reading this and taking note of your sensible approach!

Speedy recovery and hopefully it's not too too serious an injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Jaysus. Not what I was expecting to read! That sucks :(

Ah for guck sake, that's terrible news tbl, I'm gutted for you.

Really ****ty luck TbL, no doubt the sensible approach is the correct one, plenty of marathons left this year to run your time.

Absolutely gutted for you...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ah jesus, that's terrible.
    I would have thought you'd go over to Boston anyway even if not running it, just to not waste the flights and hotels.
    Unless you have some sort of Insurance scheme?

Nah Meno,

Bit the bullet on the cost, I'd hate to be in the middle of that and not running, I'd be insufferable and ****e company.

Q, was really decent and offered to have me royally looked after for the weekend, I was tempted (thanks Q much appreciated) but my heart wouldn't be in it.

I'm putting it behind me and once I get the results I'll be planning my next assault on your PB :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

That's crap TBL. Hope it turns out to be less serious & you're back motoring soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Gutted for you tbl, speedy recovery!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Really gutted for you TbL but you are right to take the sensible approach. Will make the next marathon all the sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nah Meno,

Bit the bullet on the cost, I'd hate to be in the middle of that and not running, I'd be insufferable and ****e company.

Q, was really decent and offered to have me royally looked after for the weekend, I was tempted (thanks Q much appreciated) but my heart wouldn't be in it.

I'm putting it behind me and once I get the results I'll be planning my next assault on your PB :)

TbL

Yeah you are probably right, though you could have sold your number for a small fortune :p

Anyway I wouldn't have counted your PB from it given that it's a downhill point to point ;) Better to set your PB on a legit course like London!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tough break - the miles are still in the bank, be sensible with the recovery and come back stronger.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well that' pissed me right off, cant imagine how you feel. As they say no training is wasted but that is a real sickener. Is there a chance your scan could come back negative?

Hopefully you get back out there soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Looking on the bright side I will have 2 wheelchairs one for each leg on the flight home. As said before you still have a good training block in the legs ready to cash in on.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well that' pissed me right off, cant imagine how you feel. As they say no training is wasted but that is a real sickener. Is there a chance your scan could come back negative?

Hopefully you get back out there soon enough!

Tnx Adrian (and everyone else),

Yes it could come back negative and if I was a betting man I'd say I don't have a stress fracture, but the foot isn't right and the physio said that if wasn't a stress fracture we could arrange to have some injection (steroid I think) done to bring down the inflammation. Tbh I didn't really like the sound of that and Coach said he wouldn't be in favour of it either, and in any event I'd have had to get another flight as I won't get the results before I was due to depart.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You made the right call, TBL. Really bummed for you after all the hard work. Rest that foot and speedy recovery!

That just sucks, majorly, but you did make the right call, gutted for you too, couldn't believe what I was reading. Recover well and we'll be here still when you knock out your next marathon pb..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah jaysus. Still, you can join FBOT, yaboya and me in Boston next year. :)

Still crap though. Sorry to hear. D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Can't believe I've 3 nights in that bleedin hotel on me own now - I'll have all sorts chatting me up on the hotel bar without me partner beside me ;)

Catch up with you soon chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

There's always Limerick in less than 3 week if everything magically clears up scan! :pac:

Hope everything goes well, sounds like you made a good decision. Sorry to hear it all the same...

• Advertisement
Advertisement