Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Plans for Under 5 year old

Options
  • 28-11-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I was just wondering what is the cheapest policy for an under 5 year old at the moment. Just looking for the basic really. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I was just wondering what is the cheapest policy for an under 5 year old at the moment. Just looking for the basic really. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

My understanding is there is no point getting health insurance for children as there is no private children's hospitals ? could someone confirm this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

My understanding is there is no point getting health insurance for children as there is no private children's hospitals ? could someone confirm this ?

I've heard that argument before, but it's not the full story.

For example, if a child needs a non-emergency procedure (small operation for example), you either go on a public waiting list or go privately and usually get seen much quicker. If you are covered by health insurance, the insurance provider will then pick up the tab (presuming it's covered under your policy, etc.). Of course you could always pay to go privately yourself, but you'd be talking in the €thousands for a simple day-case procedure.

Once you're a private patient it doesn't matter whether the procedure is carried out in a public or private hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SOn had 2 operations this year privately in the hermitage and tallaght. Cost was 6 k covered by insurance. Surgeon is seeing him in the public clinic for regular follow ups.
    We are still waiting for an initial public consultation 12 months on.:(

Advertisement