Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many raw fed dogs cats have we here ? :)

• 28-11-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Just curious, just starting out that way now with my 3.. 2 doggies and 1 cat :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

6 dogs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

3 dogs, one is fully raw fed and the two yorkies are half raw and half dry.

Any questions just shout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

4 dogs - 3 on fully raw for last three weeks and 1 on mix of raw soaked in boiling water for a few minutes plus carbs - as advised by Tom Farrington - as he had a liver shunt OP 10 weeks ago and his immune system needs minding for now.

Delighted with the results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

3 dogs, 3 cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

2 dogs fully on raw for over a year and a half. I tried the cats on raw but it didn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

One dog since he was 4 months old- 21 months now- one ancient tabby cat who eats raw about 40 percent of the time but still insists on sachets of rank smelling junk/cat food. He looks good for his age though, so maybe he knows something I don't and so far two out of our three cats lived into their twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Mine get the odd raw treat, dog gets chicken wings and legs, fish heads, liver and butcher scraps. Cat gets chicken breast and quail. Cat's too fussy to feed her a completely raw diet and don't have the time and freezer space to raw feed the dog. Have started buying natures menu and prize choice ready made raw nuggets and minces for the dog as the odd meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Six cats on a mix of raw and dry for up to seven years. Three and a half year old dog on raw his whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Awesome, this is my 3rd day with them and tonight I added chicken gizzards into the mix.

Found a butcher in town who was really helpful and is going to put away chicken backs and freeze them for me to collect on Saturdays and also will do some kind of deal on beef hearts etc.

Im also going to try and source some venison/rabbit.

Anyone here from Kerry?

Im hoping to go about 60/70 raw to start and possibly 100% not so long into the future :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Once a week I try the raw stuff with my lads. They seem to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Hi, my dog isn't raw fed, but it's something I'd like to look into, as no matter what, he refuses to eat dry food, but does love raw meat, what kind of a diet would a raw fed dog have and how much would it cost on average per week? thank you.

Hi, my dog isn't raw fed, but it's something I'd like to look into, as no matter what, he refuses to eat dry food, but does love raw meat, what kind of a diet would a raw fed dog have and how much would it cost on average per week? thank you.

Try and get a copy of Honey’s Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs (http://honeysrealdogfood.com/book.php). I found it to be a simple, easy guide which answered most of my questions.

I lent my copy to my sister and she is now thinking of switching her 3 to raw much to the delight of her vet.

Raw for my four works out at around 4 euro a day but it is dependent on size of dogs. As a rough guide the two 5 kg JRTS get 1/4 lb meat while the two 10kg JRTS would get 1/2 lb. I was all worried about cost etc until it dawned on me that that is basically 6 quarter pounders which can be got cheaply enough in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have two raw fed dogs here for almost a year and I found this thread to be a great help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80681796

The amount to feed depends on the weight/size of your dog and their metabolism. Both my dogs are the same weight but one gets 100g more than the other as she's older, spayed and more prone to weight gain.

Lots of info on http://dogsfirst.ie/ too, plenty of research articles, practical tips weights/measures, dos and don'ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

2 cats on partial raw, just 1 chicken wing or drumstick daily but omg do they love it. I saw packaged frozen raw food for dogs in my local pet store- would this be suitable for moggies too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

lubie76 wrote: »
    2 cats on partial raw, just 1 chicken wing or drumstick daily but omg do they love it. I saw packaged frozen raw food for dogs in my local pet store- would this be suitable for moggies too?

I doubt it due to the lower levels of taurine. Have been looking at raw feeding for cats, but haven't been brave enough to chance it yet. At the moment my guys get two chicken necks each a day and the dogs are back on the raw diet that my housemate puts together. All doing great so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Is it ok to give cats chicken with bones in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If it's this stuff http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/ the blocks of plain minced meat could be given as an added extra to cats. The nuggets have veggies and stuff in them so doubt they'd be too gone on those. There's specific cat versions too on the website but I'v only seen shops stocking the dog versions yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Tried the cat nuggets for our cat who's not fussy at all and has been known to eat veg and rice and she didn't like them! She did eat them eventually when there was nothing else to eat. I've 3 full time raw fed dogs 1 half and half kibble and one cat half raw half kibble fed gonna switch her when kibble is gone.

The attached photo shows what they had for dinner the last 2/3 nights, they had a mix of chicken gizzards + Chicken Backs, lots of crunching and their teeth seem whiter already :)

last night was slightly different, they had drumsticks/legs.

The only thing is I am going to up their veggies I think, well to be fair they haven't had any for the last 72 hours but im going to include, I normally give veggies as treats/chews, they love apples (minus seeds) + Carrots and Bananas and the odd celery stick. and other veggies cooked and mixed in through their food cabbage/swede etc

oops never uploaded last time :)

• Advertisement

Consignment of raw green tripe arrived this morning - sweetest divine it stinks!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Hey just a question.

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to feed a Springer Spaniel roughly 20kg on raw food for a week?

I'm talking butcher's scraps, fish heads, the works.

Many thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hmmm, it costs me about €15 per week to feed my 40kg GSD... that's 3 chickens' worth of grub :P (but she's not a huge eater).
    So, you can about half that for your Springer, and drop it even a little more if you can get good value from a butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Hi

We've fed our cat on 50% raw food since we got her at four months. She gets a scoop of Hills cat nuts in the morning, and then roughly chopped turkey breast or chicken breast from Tesco in the evening. (She prefers turkey but must try her on chicken wings!) I have to say, only last night she was on my lap and I was telling her how amazing she looks - her coat is literally glistening with health. Highly recommend it, and good for her to have to take her time chomping through it as well.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Asked my vet who is really into feeding raw to both cats and dogs and she told me the only thing from a chicken you shouldn't give the cat is the breast as it not great nutritionally. A lot of the goodness is in the bone and marrow apparently. My two boys will eat the chicken and bones but girl refuses unless I pick off the meat off and serve it more or less like breast meat.

Vet really recommended whole skinned rabbit if you can source that from butcher. Personally I have guilt issues about feeding bunnies to cats but that's just me. She also advised me to remove kibble completely and fast all the cats for 24 hours on a regular basis. I know it sounds mad and extreme but she has done a lot of research into it and her own cats are about 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

. I know it sounds mad and extreme but she has done a lot of research into it and her own cats are about 20.

I skimmed thru that and read it as she had about 20 cats!
    1 fully raw 4 year old and half and half 6 month puppy - both retrievers. The pup needed so much food early on I started to bulk it out with good quality wet food - Nature Diet/Rocco but I plan on increasing the meat and cutting down the wet food.

My vet is half and half about it I think - she says they can't advocate it because of the "risks" (I suppose of somebody doing it wrong)...but at the same time won't deny the positive affects!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Consignment of raw green tripe arrived this morning - sweetest divine it stinks!!! :eek:

Where did you order the tripe off?
    DBB wrote: »
    Hmmm, it costs me about €15 per week to feed my 40kg GSD... that's 3 chickens' worth of grub :P (but she's not a huge eater).
    So, you can about half that for your Springer, and drop it even a little more if you can get good value from a butcher.

Wow thats less then I would have put for a GSD, but saying that feeding on burns it worked out around €8 to feed my springer + Jack Russell, with Raw so far it seems to be around €10.. thats including the cat too. for the €15 can U ask is it from butchers/shops etc or a mix?

Stressica wrote: »
    Where did you order the tripe off?

PM sent as unsure if it is ok to link to a commercial enterprise.
    If ok with Mods will post link here.

Edit to add: I have no connection with the business in question.

Stressica wrote: »
    Wow thats less then I would have put for a GSD, but saying that feeding on burns it worked out around €8 to feed my springer + Jack Russell, with Raw so far it seems to be around €10.. thats including the cat too. for the €15 can U ask is it from butchers/shops etc or a mix?

In fairness, she's at the lower end of the scale for her weight in terms of the amount of food she needs... If I go over an average of 700-800g of meat per day, she puts on weight!
    I buy chickens that are about to go out of date in Tesco, and I bulk it all out with a good quality wet food which I buy when on offer on zooplus, the likes of Naturediet, Rocco, Lukullus etc. I am very careful to feed muscle meat and mind the fat content... Some of the raw food suppliers do minced products in bulk which are off the scale in fat content, but don't reveal this on their website.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    PM sent as unsure if it is ok to link to a commercial enterprise.
    If ok with Mods will post link here.

Edit to add: I have no connection with the business in question.

I don't see any problem with this :-)

Advertisement