Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A chain that can't be cut by boltcutters?

• 28-11-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Thought i'd better ask in here as i often see motorbikes chained up through the front wheel when they are parked...

i need around 2 meters of chain and a lock that are pretty much attack proof from a bolt cutters. could anyone recommend a brand or what to look for/ where to buy etc?

someone said before about wrapping a normal chain in plastic piping but i don't really see how this works?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

As said above mate the almax is the only chain i would go for tbh

I got this from them a while back

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=73&CAT_ID=73&P_ID=129&btnProduct=More+Details

Think it was €260 including delivery, great company to deal with aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Almax. The better bike thieves know them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Make sure you keep the chain suspended mid air rather than lying on the ground, if they can't use the ground as leverage with the bolt cutters they will do even less damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yep, almax all the way. Deffo not cheap but you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yup...Almax. I have a Series IV and it will actually break bolt cutters. Beast of a chain.

It's heavy...and expensive. But you ain't getting through it without spending a few mins with an angle grinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another vote for Almax

My series IV defeated some thieving scum already as I had to park my bike outside a terraced house.

I also bought another chain which my dad uses to lock gates to his farmyard

Expensive but worth it. Nice crowd to deal with too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

nsfw - contains images of a fat man exerting himself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Gonna ask a stupid question ? What's to stop a thief breaking/unbolting what the bikes chained to ? Or just unbolting the front wheel and manhandling bike up a ramp ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Markcheese wrote: »
    Gonna ask a stupid question ? What's to stop a thief breaking/unbolting what the bikes chained to ? Or just unbolting the front wheel and manhandling bike up a ramp ??

There is pretty much nothing you can do that will stop them if they really want the bike (Including if it's parked in a garage). But thieves are looking for easy targets so if they see a bike with a very strong chain they will most likely move on to the next target that's less secured and takes less time to steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

A good chain will just focus them on the lock, they top ones use bottle jacks not bolt cutters.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

in my circumstance i have devised a ground anchor inside a garage and welded an eyelet onto the chassis of the car and wish to chain the car to the floor as it goes through extended periods of non usage in an unattended area. i know its not a perfect solution, it just nice to have a physical defence encase someone handy with electronics can bypass the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Im in the process of buying my first bike, im going to get a ninja 250r. It doesnt look like there is much room to store a lock in the back, certainly not for one of these heavy chains. Is a disk lock the best option and are there any of those that are very hard to remove? Im guessing thieves would be able to move it into a van with a disk lock on easily though anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd consider a xena alarmed one - but yep, if its not secured to anything, it can be lifted handily enough

if you park the bike in the same spot all the time, you could consider just leaving a chain there, instead of always carrying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I got 3 almax chains, 5 meters in total. Could barely lift the bag it came in! But they're top quality, and I remember at the time that some brand name chains were more expensive but lower quality.
    rowanh wrote: »
    Im in the process of buying my first bike, im going to get a ninja 250r. It doesnt look like there is much room to store a lock in the back, certainly not for one of these heavy chains. Is a disk lock the best option and are there any of those that are very hard to remove? Im guessing thieves would be able to move it into a van with a disk lock on easily though anyway?
    If you park in the same place every day, you could leave the chain there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Get some crane chain. It cant be cut with bolt cutters and will only cost ya 30 euro.

Stainless steel slide lock. 90 euro.

120 in total and wont be cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on the Almax though I would say that they are very heavy chains so I wouldn't like to be carrying one in a backpack about everyday. I use mine at home and then a disc lock when out and about in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

A heavy bike and fully comp is yer only man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

KTRIC wrote: »

Especially when the bike breaks down every few miles :p

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Especially when the bike breaks down every few miles :p

Forgot to add that the bike also has to be an undesirable hunk of metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

I'm gonna start stealing those chains, at those prices I could make a few bob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Mech1 wrote: »
    I'm gonna start stealing those chains, at those prices I could make a few bob!

aye, just use an angle grinder to cut through the bikes frame, or wheels etc to free up the precious chains for redistribution :p

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Get some crane chain. It cant be cut with bolt cutters and will only cost ya 30 euro.

Stainless steel slide lock. 90 euro.

120 in total and wont be cut.

Where would you get this? I already have an Almax wouldn't Mind another, I priced grade 80 16mm chain at 40euro per Meter.

Is there anyone here that could source a fair few meters of crane chain for a group buy ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^
    How would we cut it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

^^^^

Just get the local scumbag, they'll get through it easily.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

KTRIC wrote: »

In fairness yes. Get fully comp and no claims discount protection, I got it on mine for very little extra. You can never totally protect yourself from your bike getting nicked, but at least you can protect yourself again loss of money if it is. If my bike is lifted I get to go shopping for a new one and lose almost nothing! Obviously I have a lock too but its additional peace of mind

^^^^

Oh :pac:

^^^^

oxy acetylene or a con saw.

• Advertisement

Big-Mac wrote: »
    Where would you get this? I already have an Almax wouldn't Mind another, I priced grade 80 16mm chain at 40euro per Meter.

This is the place I was chatting to http://www.chainandrope.ie/products/chains group buy?

Only thing is what lock would you use?

Advertisement