Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soldado.. or is it rebrov?

Options
  • 28-11-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

okay, the title may be a bit confusing but the last time I felt like this was when little Sergi was our star signing. Im now at the stage of feeling sorry for Soldado. Every time we score im hoping that its soldado that gets it... which is seldom these days. I looked at him tonight as much as i could and I honestly think he received one playable ball in or around the box all night, not even a goal scoring chance mind. You can see he's getting pissed off with not getting the ball, id say he balls Townsend out of it after every game.. I just really hope he gets more chances to get some goals as the longer it goes the more likely he is to be another rebrov :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

He can`t be judged playing in this system. I`d judge him after a run of games with someone up front with him in a 4-4-2 with wingers playing in their right position. Doesn`t look like we`ll be able to judge him anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

The thing is, he's always been a lone striker, he's just not being fed

BaL-pzNIAAA2sjM.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The problem is supply, Townsend, Chadli, Lennon, Lamela all crossing/passing very poorly. Townsend almost always passes as a last resort. Lennon and Chadli are inconsistent and Lamela needs time. Soldado is prolific when facing the goal, sadly against Everton he had one touch inside the box. Most of our games he's playing with his back to goal. Nobody in the middle to feed him either, needs somebody else in the box to create space.

He found the net 24 times in La Liga last season, which was the fifth-highest total behind Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Radamel Falcao and Alvaro Negredo. All 24 of Soldado's goals came from within the penalty box.
    ScreenShot2013-08-02at02.06.24_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

He's no chump, just a frustrated lone figure. He has no support from midfield. That's down to the manager. A few players lashed out when it was still 0 - 0. Bet he never thought he'd be playing on a Thursday night in Norway when he signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    He's no chump, just a frustrated lone figure. He has no support from midfield. That's down to the manager. A few players lashed out when it was still 0 - 0. Bet he never thought he'd be playing on a Thursday night in Norway when he signed.

Yeah you could see his frustration with that sliding tackle he got booked for. Valencia played in Swansea last night.

• Advertisement

Yeah you could see his frustration with that sliding tackle he got booked for. Valencia played in Swansea last night.

Not exactly glamorous, but warmer than the Arctic circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Soldado everyday, rebrov looked good playing alongside chevchenko, no comparison between the 2, as illustrated in previous post soldado is a box player.
    He needs supply to score. Create from midfield and soldado will score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

curraghyid wrote: »
    Soldado everyday, rebrov looked good playing alongside chevchenko, no comparison between the 2, as illustrated in previous post soldado is a box player.
    He needs supply to score. Create from midfield and soldado will score.

I concur, my comparison is more to do with the fact that anytime we score I hope its soldado in the same way I did previously with rebrov. I really hope that he starts getting the chances but there was a time last night when townsend was nearly at the byline in the box on the left and he chose to shoot with soldado unmarked in front of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I concur, my comparison is more to do with the fact that anytime we score I hope its soldado in the same way I did previously with rebrov. I really hope that he starts getting the chances but there was a time last night when townsend was nearly at the byline in the box on the left and he chose to shoot with soldado unmarked in front of goal.

that's because townsend only thinks of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Townsend passes a lot more than people give him credit for.

4-4-2 isn't necessarily the solution, we do need to get the full backs and wide men getting behind the defence inside the box, from the little I've seen of Soldado b4 he came to us, he thrives on pull backs and balls across the 6 yard box, also simple thru balls behind the defence.. Bale used to put in some great balls across the 6 yard box last season that none of our strikers were in tune with, they woulsd be perfect for him.

We have given him one clear cut chance in the league this season and he buried it. He is notthe problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

GS11 wrote: »
    Townsend passes a lot more than people give him credit for.

In relative terms, compared to other wingers, Townsend passes very seldom. Also, his quality of pass is very poor. The inverted winger is a thinkers position, someone with a bit of guile. Townsend is neither of these. He needs to be played on the left so he can beat his defender and whip a cross in without thinking - I believe he is very very good at this. He's exciting.

In relative terms, compared to other wingers, Townsend passes very seldom. Also, his quality of pass is very poor. The inverted winger is a thinkers position, someone with a bit of guile. Townsend is neither of these. He needs to be played on the left so he can beat his defender and whip a cross in without thinking - I believe he is very very good at this. He's exciting.

Bingo, that's all is required, save the showboating for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

This is the only Soldado thread I could find.

Anyway, I think he comes across really well in this article....

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tottenham-star-soldado-reveals-reasons-behind-villas-boas-failure-1438908

Like me, I can sense that a lot of people hope he does well. But it's more than the obvious.... Something like, we've been crying out for a 'proven' goal scorer for years, now we have one.... so I guess we feel that if this clicks it will all finally click for us. Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It irritates me seeing 'the 26 million pound signing from Valencia' line being used in every article.

He didn't cost 26 million pound.

13m + 13m based on clauses. I can hazard a guess that with how his season is going so far, he hasn't hit those clauses yet.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2915/europa-league/2014/10/02/5148058/-?

Good article on Soldado.
    Presume he'll start this evening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He has to start tonight. If he doesn't, than Poch must have absolutely no faith in him.

Needs to return to Spain in the summer where he was smashing them in for fun. I still like him, and want him to succeed, but just not here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i agree. Very likable guy, and he works his ass off in every game, but it's just not going to work for him. It'll be better for everyone if he leaves in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

"Good players don't just turn bad overnight"

Ian Rush, 1996

Record Pre 1996. 333 games, 240 goals
    Record Post 1996. 74 games, 6 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

"Good players don't just turn bad overnight"

Ian Rush, 1996

Record Pre 1996. 333 games, 240 goals
    Record Post 1996. 74 games, 6 goals

Ian Rush was 35 years old in 1996, how was he supposed to maintain that scoring record?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

^^^ Well that post was meant to be tongue in cheek as the 'quote' is totally fictitious.

... but my point was that even great players like Ian Rush can lose their goal scoring touch almost overnight

I take your point that he was 36 but if you look at the 95/96 season ...He was 35 y.o. and still banging them in. Then the goals just dried up.

Even at Leeds he was still getting lots of game time and finding himself in all the right positions, getting on the end of balls but he couldn't finish them to save his life.

Advertisement