Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lightcovers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you use LED's then you don't need them. Progress... :D

In the old days, flowerpots were just as good...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

nothing to do with me but a very usefull

http://lightcovers.ie/

used one today very handy

Very handy for air tightness, I've bought the sealed insulated down lights in the past, they made a big difference, but these could be retro fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Could it be used to change a 4" fan to a 6" without changing e ducting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

Steve wrote: »
    If you use LED's then you don't need them. Progress... :D

In the old days, flowerpots were just as good...

you do if you want to insulate around and over the led lights

how much did you pay for them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    you do if you want to insulate around and over the led lights

for what reason are you saying? bulb life ,hazard?

it will depend on type of fitting anyhow..some fittings can be covered directly afaik

for what reason are you saying? bulb life ,hazard?

it will depend on type of fitting anyhow..some fittings can be covered directly afaik

bulb life dissipate heat and also to allow insulation to cover around and over bulb . some people have old type downlight fittings where the actual bulb is exposed up in the ceiling void so it could come in direct contact with insulation . this light cover prevents that and give the bulb some space to dissipate heat while still allowing for full insulation in the ceiling or attic above .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

bulb life dissipate heat and also to allow insulation to cover around and over bulb . some people have old type downlight fittings where the actual bulb is exposed up in the ceiling void so it could come in direct contact with insulation . this light cover prevents that and give the bulb some space to dissipate heat while still allowing for full insulation in the ceiling or attic above .
    LEDs dont dissipate any heat though. If all the electrical connections are contained on an obo box or similar I see no reason why they couldn't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i think it may affect led bulb life on certain fittings

don't think it will be a hazard though

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    LEDs dont dissipate any heat though. If all the electrical connections are contained on an obo box or similar I see no reason why they couldn't be covered.

well id rather use these covers than none at all and have peace of mind . some led light bulbs do get warm nothing like an old style 50w bulb but they still get a tiny bit warm when held or placed on the hand . so a bit of an air gap with the downlight cover give the light some space to dissipate its small amount of heat , and you can still cover over with insulation to keep the warmth in the room below the down light . so you get long bulb life and still retain insulation and heat in the room below .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The whole deal with led's are that they are led's. They produce light, not heat. So, you don't have to worry about heat like you do with incandescent GU10s.

Steve wrote: »
    The whole deal with led's are that they are led's. They produce light, not heat. So, you don't have to worry about heat like you do with incandescent GU10s.

so you would place insulation directly ontop of an old style downlight fitting where the bulb itself is just sitting there in the ceiling void . you would have absolutely no problem with that then ?

id rather have the cover installed to give an air gap and better heat dissipation between the bulb itself and the insulation around and over the bulb , so longer life for the led bulb and still good insulation value

so you would place insulation directly ontop of an old style downlight fitting where the bulb itself is just sitting there in the ceiling void . you would have absolutely no problem with that then ?

Did we read the same post I don't think he mentioned anything about placing insulation over old style fittings. LEDs have little to no heat being emitted. I've yet to come across one that you can't touch with your hand. Clearly there is a massive difference between gu10s and LEDs.

It seems as though you've a vested interest in these covers??

Did we read the same post I don't think he mentioned anything about placing insulation over old style fittings. LEDs have little to no heat being emitted. I've yet to come across one that you can't touch with your hand. Clearly there is a massive difference between gu10s and LEDs.

It seems as though you've a vested interest in these covers??

eh i asked someone else how much they paid for the cover as im thinking of getting them myself .
    ive old style downlight fittings in my ceiling where the actual bulb is exposed in the ceiling void and the wires are in an obo box . the insulatiion is 200mm away from the light fitting . i replaced the old incandesent gu10 bulbs with gu10 led bulbs a month ago.
    even when the led gu10s are on they still give off a very small amount of heat they feel slightly warm when you place your hand around them .
    if i fitted a downlight cover i would have an airgap between the led gu10 bulb and the insulation that im placing around and above them . so i will create an air space for good heat dissipation and longer led bulb life and i also get to keep the ceiling void fully insulated over the light cover. thats what i was trying to say earlier on .

LEDs produce heat, some have a tiny fan in them.
    The fitting I have can have insulation placed around them but only to max of 11Watts per lamp.

Stoner wrote: »
    The fitting I have can have insulation placed around them but only to max of 11Watts per lamp.

nice one , so im not the only 1 that says led down light bulbs produce heat , heat rises too so thats why im wanting an airgap between led bulb and insulation that will be rolled over them and light cover in ceiling void.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Where can you buy these..?
    Have tried 5/6 times through the email on the site but have never even got a reply.

Its a poor enough website for ordering (unless its been updated in the last month or so.)

Stoner wrote: »

Yes a minimal heat no one is disputing that. Enough to make insulation spontaneously combust I dont think so.

An 11watt led is the equivalent of a 50w gu10 so what is your point? you're only confrming what Ibwas saying. I dont know of anyone using greater than 50w gu10 lamps in down lights.

nice one , so im not the only 1 that says led down light bulbs produce heat , heat rises too so thats why im wanting an airgap between led bulb and insulation that will be rolled over them and light cover in ceiling void.

Nice one????

He just contradicted everything you said about covering led fittings. Its perfectly safe up to an 11w led lamp. I doubt anyone uses a higher rated lamp.

Nice one????

He just contradicted everything you said about covering led fittings. Its perfectly safe up to an 11w led lamp. I doubt anyone uses a higher rated lamp.

funny that i was told here by another poster that leds dont give off heat they only give light .and you agreed with that and thanked that post .
    so you now agree that leds do give off heat , also mr stoner said that he has specal insulated and sealed led units in his ceiling . see post 3 for that .

if you would read my posts you would see that i have old style fittings where the bulb is directly exposed in the ceiling void , i replaced the incandesant bulbs to led bulbs last month and thay are still exposed in the ceiling void . now im not going to place insulation direcetly up close to the led bulbs or directly cover them over in insulation . led bulbs give off a little heat as i allready said and thats one of the reasons for wanting to install a light cover to give the bulb some air and space to dissipare the heat and also to allow me to cover over the top of the ceiling coid with insulation .
    you cant just slap insulation roll over an exposed led downlight bulb and think it it will be fine . the led bulb needs some air and space to breath and get rids of the small amount of heat and have a long lifespan . i want to cover in and around my downlights so thats why i want to fit some sort of protective cover and also fully insulate ithe ceiling void around and over the downlights

• Advertisement

koppy wrote: »
    Where can you buy these..?
    Have tried 5/6 times through the email on the site but have never even got a reply.

Its a poor enough website for ordering (unless its been updated in the last month or so.)

id like to know too and also price, it would be nice to pick up 6 or 7 of them today and tackle this by the weekend.
    anyone know if any electrical wholesalers sell these ?

funny that i was told here by another poster that leds dont give off heat they only give light .and you agreed with that and thanked that post .
    so you now agree that leds do give off heat , also mr stoner said that he has specal insulated and sealed led units in his ceiling . see post 3 for that .

if you would read my posts you would see that i have old style fittings where the bulb is directly exposed in the ceiling void , i replaced the incandesant bulbs to led bulbs last month and thay are still exposed in the ceiling void . now im not going to place insulation direcetly up close to the led bulbs or directly cover them over in insulation . led bulbs give off a little heat as i allready said and thats one of the reasons for wanting to install a light cover to give the bulb some air and space to dissipare the heat and also to allow me to cover over the top of the ceiling coid with insulation .
    you cant just slap insulation roll over an exposed led downlight bulb and think it it will be fine . the led bulb needs some air and space to breath and get rids of the small amount of heat and have a long lifespan . i want to cover in and around my downlights so thats why i want to fit some sort of protective cover and also fully insulate ithe ceiling void around and over the downlights

Sure they do because all those leds in electrical components have plenty of space also.

You carry on as you want. No point going around in circles.

I wont even bother correcting your earlier comments regarding heat.

Take care now.

Sure they do because all those leds in electrical components have plenty of space also.

You carry on as you want. No point going around in circles.

I wont even bother correcting your earlier comments regarding heat.

Take care now.

you have a good morning too im heading off to ikea for some free led lightbulbs .

Yes a minimal heat no one is disputing that. Enough to make insulation spontaneously combust I dont think so.

An 11watt led is the equivalent of a 50w gu10 so what is your point? you're only confrming what Ibwas saying. I dont know of anyone using greater than 50w gu10 lamps in down lights.

Well you've asked for my point. I've made a two. One was that they are handy for air tightness, I never mentioned spontaneous combustion.

The second was that LEDS do give off heat. I didn't quote you, I simply pointed out LEDS do produce heat, to prolong the life of some lamps Philips added tiny fans to some of their lamps.

Also since you said I confirmed what you said, which one of your points was I confirming from this thread?
    LEDs dont dissipate any heat

or
    LEDs have little to no heat being emitted

or
    Yes a minimal heat no one is disputing that.

Also

The max wattage rating of the fittings I'm talking about is limited to 11 Watts, as we all know the "brightness/ intensity" of a lamp is not measured in watts.
    The equivalence in light output between two lamps has nothing to do with the max lamp wattage that a fitting can safely be used with.

I don't usually go down this road with multiple quotes but this was just a post about a product made by a regular poster. The usefulness of these covers goes beyond a fire hazard IMHO and I don't see much wrong with them. Also they will work if someone comes along afterwards and pops in a 50Watt lamp this is not something you'd want to happen if insulation was pulled around the fitting, and yes there is a warning sticker inside the fitting warning a lamp changer not to exceed 11Watt lamps.

Advertisement