Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do best for a young beginner

Options
  • 29-11-2013 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

If a young beginner has an innate talent how important is it that he have a good teacher in order to develop as he could/should?

My seven-year old has had 2 hours (4 weeks) tuition to date. He never sat at a piano before this. He finds everything put to him (beginner pieces) easy, and after 3 or 4 readings knows the piece by heart. I gave him pieces on top of his practice pieces and he plays these without the sheets, about 12 pieces in total. He also plays excerpts of classical pieces by ear. It all sounds very good to me, but it is quite possible that I am biased is assessing this initial progess, given that it is my son. Also, honestly I would not know enough to know if this is good, bad or indifferent progress.

As I say, it's early days, but I have been advised, by a friend who knows his teacher well, that I should look for a better teacher as my friend would be of the opinion that the teacher would be weak in certain aspects of teaching.

Would this be good advice? Is it too soon to be of concern?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Way too soon. You may have a prodigy on your hands. More likely though, is that you have a child who is enjoying the game of playing the instrument and making progress. Many children do very well at the start, and this is often because of the attitude of the teacher, and not from any particular qualification, experience, or technical brilliance. From the tone of your post, it seems that this teacher is getting results. Why not just let them at it? You'll all know when its time to move on.

I have at least one parent each year who, and with all due respect to yourself ;), get waaaaay too involved and in some cases undermine the process entirely. The teacher's job is to teach. The parent's is to support the learning experience. You know your child. The teacher knows their job. Your friend has an opinion. And that opinion is sabotaging a teacher who, by your own account, is doing a good job.

There will always be a 'better' teacher out there. What your child has is 'one that's working'.

FWIW, the best teacher I ever had was an elderly neighbour who only played for fun and taught for pin money. I owe her a lot, but outgrew her after a couple of years. We're still friends. The worst? In college I was 'taught' by an internationally acclaimed concert performer, from whom I learned nothing so much as how not to teach.

My 2c...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I agree with what endacl said: unless your son tells you of his own accord that he is unhappy with his teacher I would certainly leave him at it for at least a year and see how he progresses. If he makes a lot of progress then that might be the time to discuss with his teacher the possibility of sending him to the DIT or the RIAM or wherever, but certainly keep him going as he is for now if he keeps making progress. I'd also advise getting him to do something else musical (but also fun!) after a while to complement his learning the piano--perhaps get him singing in a good choir (he's the perfect age to start). That sort of exposure is the best education for musically talented children, and also creates a social aspect that children who learn the piano often miss out on compared to those who learn other instruments and can play in groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Doshea3 wrote: »
    I agree with what endacl said: unless your son tells you of his own accord that he is unhappy with his teacher I would certainly leave him at it for at least a year and see how he progresses. If he makes a lot of progress then that might be the time to discuss with his teacher the possibility of sending him to the DIT or the RIAM or wherever, but certainly keep him going as he is for now if he keeps making progress. I'd also advise getting him to do something else musical (but also fun!) after a while to complement his learning the piano--perhaps get him singing in a good choir (he's the perfect age to start). That sort of exposure is the best education for musically talented children, and also creates a social aspect that children who learn the piano often miss out on compared to those who learn other instruments and can play in groups.

Aye piano can be a lonely road alright, so I'd say by the sounds of things he has the musicality and ear for other things also. The piano is a very visual instrument as there are 2 musical lines for the eye to follow with a bunch of keys under the nose.. Unlike the violin which practically sits in your ear with little visual sight of the instrument. Also the response and feedback from hitting a piano key is not as direct as say a wind or string instrument where you are more connected to the sound produced. So maybe work on these areas by exploring group options like choir or group instrumental lessons...(with gentle persuasion it might sound 'more appealing' coming as a suggestion from his teacher).

As regards teachers I'd say if it aint broke don;t fix it. Although getting a good posture and technique from the start is crucial..(my back is goosed!) singing and choir classes will teach this too. Again i'd echo the stories of students with brilliant teachers who were too busy flying around the world to actually give the classes. Maybe talk to the piano teacher about your son's musicality in general and ways of developing his musical talents. Take your time though as heaping too much pressure too soon could turn a kid off, but depends on the kid I suppose.

Advertisement