Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting old pc to new laptop

Options
  • 29-11-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure about this, but I have and old pc which has software on it with loads of data on it which I use but I cant use it to print off as pc is from 1999!! and any new printer wont work on it.

Can I connect the pc to the laptop and view/print the data that's on the pc on the laptop??

If it can be done, how would one go about doing it and what new leads etc. would I need.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

the best way would be via a Lan connection using a switch or your home router. you might have to install a Lan card in your old PC to enable it.

second option would be to remove the hard drive and use a IDE (im assuming its ide for 1999) and then you can use the drive as an external drive

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

the best way would be via a Lan connection using a switch or your home router. you might have to install a Lan card in your old PC to enable it.

second option would be to remove the hard drive and use a IDE (im assuming its ide for 1999) and then you can use the drive as an external drive

Thanks for that

Ill try the Lan idea and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Another option is install a virtual printer on the old machine, that will generate a PDF file, that can print out from the newer PC, or another. E.g. http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Worth checking if the cd-drive on the PC is a burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

email the files to yourself then download and print on your laptop

or use a shared dropbox ac or google drive ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you're talking about photos and personal files and the old PC has an internet connection (broadband) then upload the files to something like Dropbox or Copy (www.copy.com) and print them from your laptop.

Advertisement