Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish times top 50 games of all time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm sorry a top games list of all time without one single Zelda game in it? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Lol, probably the worst "Top" list ever.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To be honest Goldeneye ain't so hot anymore.

Hey ! Its better than ****ing angry birds anyway ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't bother with these Top whatever game lists really since they're so subjective but that was a miserable list consisting more so of titles that are well-known to the casual gamer.

I mean, out of all Street Fighters the 4th is picked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Top 50 games of all time. 29 of them from 2008 onward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Insulting the guy because you disagree with his list seems very over the top, no? I've never agreed with any 'top XXX games/movies/books' list I've ever seen, but wouldn't think to call the compiler an idiot or mong! "Just a poor film and games writer" is probably the worst insult of all :) (I'm an inhouse copywriter myself and being called a 'poor writer' would be just about the worst thing I could be told in terms of my job!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thanks guys, due to your comments about Joe, I now have to put my work hat on and edit the hell out of a lot of your comments because you're defaming him.

If you could all keep your criticism's to the list itself and stop saying things that might get us sued, that'd be just great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭jmcc

No Doom? The game that changed everything online? Well it is the Irish Times - its "technology" section is even more of a joke than its games section.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm outraged, someone likes different games from me and to add insult to injury they put the ones I do like in a slightly different order in an arbitrary list.

But seriously no Super Mario 3 wtf ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Why Deus Ex:Human Revelations over Deus Ex? Like, it's a good game but nowhere near as good as Deus Ex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Shiminay wrote: »
    Thanks guys, due to your comments about Joe, I now have to put my work hat on and edit the hell out of a lot of your comments because you're defaming him.

If you could all keep your criticism's to the list itself and stop saying things that might get us sued, that'd be just great.

OK, I've deleted and edited a lot of content here I need you to understand why.

The moment Boards.ie is officially made aware or becomes aware of something that has potential legal ramifications, we *MUST* act on it - we can't let it slide. So, because I, even with my personal account, read this thread and it's defamatory content in the office on a company machine, I have had to switch over to the official account and start editing. I have absolutely no choice in this matter unless I want to see Boards.ie shut down because our *only* defence against being sued into oblivion by any number of people who may or may not have been defamed etc on this site is that we take immediate action on these issues when we're made aware of them.

Nobody associated with this site outside of the company (Members, Mods, CMods, Admins) gets a say in this, all legal issues have to run through the office. It's far from ideal, but it's the law.

This is the reason I have to be very careful about what I read on the site when I'm in work.

So I'm sorry for having to come down all hard and heavy on this, but the comments made by a lot of you left me no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Even if they don't 'do' games, is research dead?

Composed by a goat no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ionapaul wrote: »
    Insulting the guy because you disagree with his list seems very over the top, no? I've never agreed with any 'top XXX games/movies/books' list I've ever seen, but wouldn't think to call the compiler an idiot or mong! "Just a poor film and games writer" is probably the worst insult of all :) (I'm an inhouse copywriter myself and being called a 'poor writer' would be just about the worst thing I could be told in terms of my job!)

Nothing like a top 50 list to bring out the butthurt gamer :pac:

Lists proclaiming things are the best ever are ultimately pointless anyway, favourite games? Yeah, since it's entirely subjective. There's things I'd put on my favourite games of all time that don't belong on a best of, but who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i disagree with list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

krudler wrote: »
    Nothing like a top 50 list to bring out the butthurt gamer :pac:

I'm going to make my own list ......with hookers and beer.

Are we allowed make the point that a list like this appearing in whats meant to be the preeminent national paper is incredibly lazy journalism?

Just my opinion btw if that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

No Fallout? No Pokemon? No Age of Empires? Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Where's Shenmue eh? EEHHHH?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Could we start a thread where boardsies nominate 10 games each. No chat. Give it a start date and an end date. Someone collate the dat.....

...sounds like a lot of work. I'm off.

/honestly though would be interested. Some people around here have taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Funkfield wrote: »
    Could we start a thread where boardsies nominate 10 games each. No chat. Give it a start date and an end date. Someone collate the dat.....

...sounds like a lot of work. I'm off.

/honestly though would be interested. Some people around here have taste.
    I actually wouldn't mind something like this! It would be pretty cool, the boardsies 50 best games of all time! I actually just might do it if people are interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Not sure that's relevant since it's allegedly "of all time".
    Anyway, woeful list for obvious reasons. Rock band, Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds? FFS. Wrote it off when I saw neither Souls game mentioned.

Whatever about that, but if you're going to include casual games, PvZ and Angry Birds but no Peggle?

Don't really remember Mirror's Edge as being a "relentless first-person combat game".

No Wolfenstein or Doom?

And worst of all, no Atari 2600 ET!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good games don't age. That's how I look at things. Just like a good film or book will never age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭jmcc

Good games don't age. That's how I look at things. Just like a good film or book will never age.
    Some of the Half Life mods have been around for twelve years or more and still have people playing them online.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

No Abe's Oddysee, what a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

At the time it was though and redefined a market

Aspects of them may, like graphics will be bettered, but long as the gameplay stays fun that's all that counts. I think 2D games age better than 3D myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »
    Aspects of them may, like graphics will be bettered, but long as the gameplay stays fun that's all that counts. I think 2D games age better than 3D myself.

Have to agree totally. In the case of Goldeneye the framerate just makes it unplayable in this day and age. It barely gets to 20 FPS.

Have to agree totally. In the case of Goldeneye the framerate just makes it unplayable in this day and age. It barely gets to 20 FPS.

I agree but in cases like this surely the playability from when it originally was released counts, back then it was a ****ing amazing and when putting a list together of all time greatest games it really should be a case of judging games by the standards of when they were released rather than comparing them to the technology we are used to now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wot, Not Space Invaders or Pac Man?

VinLieger wrote: »
    I agree but in cases like this surely the playability from when it originally was released counts, back then it was a ****ing amazing and when putting a list together of all time greatest games it really should be a case of judging games by the standards of when they were released rather than comparing them to the technology we are used to now

OK going to leave this as my last post on the subject because I've dragged plenty of threads off track completely with this before. I just think that if a game really is that good then it should hold up. Yes it might have been pioneering in many ways but has since been surpassed and stuff like the terrible framerate really do affect the playability immensely. It has been surpassed and because we didn't have more modern FPS games to judge it against then we didn't know better.

On the opposite end of the spectrum there's stuff like Mario 3 which are still immensely playable to this day and arguably haven't been bettered. A FPS comparison would be Doom which despite being older than Goldeneye is a much better game. It doesn't have framerate problems and it's super fast no nonsense shooting mechanics have not aged a bit in the 20 years it's been out.

• Advertisement

Whereas something like I dunno, Mario World, or Super Metroid, still look like they did the day they came out.

Advertisement