Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today's petrol/diesel prices in Limerick mod warning post#30

• 29-11-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well start a new thread so folk can put up petrol and diesel prices. Might be handy for folks looking to get the best value for their money.

Unleaded

148.8 in the filling station on the left between Croagh and Newcastle West.

167.9 :eek: in the Topaz in Dooradoyle beside the Hospital (surely must be close to being the most expensive in the country, and not even close to being in line with the average city/county price)

And for those who shop at Tesco, they are currently offering 15c off a litre at their pumps when you spend €100 or more instore. Some terms & conditions may apply in terms of what makes up the €100+ spend, so best check instore beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Garvey's SuperValu in Newcastle West have an offer that when you spend 60 euro or more in store they give you 20c off per litre of fuel. Their fuel was cheapish already at 141.9 for diesel last time i got some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DBIreland wrote: »
    Garvey's SuperValu in Newcastle West have an offer that when you spend 60 euro or more in store they give you 20c off per litre of fuel. Their fuel was cheapish already at 141.9 for diesel last time i got some.

Even without the offer, they are usually one of the best priced stations in the city or county. They normally 3 or 4 cent a litre cheaper than the cheapest city based filling station.

Them, the station just above them on the right, the station on the left as you drive towards Newcastle West from Limerick, and the old Esso on the right driving towards NCW, along with the station at Rourkes Cross on the Cork road as generally the cheapest stations in the entire county for unleaded, and are pretty damn consistent in keeping their prices a good bit lower than the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Kess73 wrote: »
    Might as well start a new thread so folk can put up petrol and diesel prices. Might be handy for folks looking to get the best value for their money.

Unleaded

148.8 in the filling station on the left between Croagh and Newcastle West.

167.9 :eek: in the Topaz in Dooradoyle beside the Hospital (surely must be close to being the most expensive in the country, and not even close to being in line with the average city/county price)

And for those who shop at Tesco, they are currently offering 15c off a litre at their pumps when you spend €100 or more instore. Some terms & conditions may apply in terms of what makes up the €100+ spend, so best check instore beforehand.

i've often wondered about this. Do you think maybe they're doing it to get people who come a long way to the hospital so they'll get it there because of their lack of knowledge of the are. It infuriates me seeing that price.

Thanks for the advice on the croagh area because i'm off to Kilarney so tomorrow so i'll fill up there on the way down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I cant get over that price in dooradoyle 2 mins up is a lot cheaper I often wonder do they want to sell petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,311 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are probably making their living from the shop, selling stuff to people visiting the hospital, etc. They may also be making it from people who are not paying for their own fuel.

• Advertisement

I cant get over that price in dooradoyle 2 mins up is a lot cheaper I often wonder do they want to sell petrol?

For as long as there are folk unwilling to shop around for better prices, there will be places more than willing to charge them higher prices.

A lot of people still pull into filling stations and pay no heed to the per litre price of fuel. They just pop in their €40 or whatever at a go and toddle along. Probably the same sort of people that then cannot figure out why their €40 worth of fuel gives them such a poor return in terms of distance travelled on it.

Also a lot of the stations in other parts of Ireland that charge far more at the pumps than the national average are being used by branches of the public service (one ex Statoil on the Quays in Dublin springs to mind as a station that got some media attention over this) and it would seem that getting value for money is a secondary consideration for some of the sectors that have state money to waste use. Now I am of course not saying anything about the Limerick station beside the Hospital, just that some of the other stations in Ireland with unusually high prices have state agencies using them for fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

150.8 for rhe good stuff 143.8 for the tractor option - applegreen, corbally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Topaz beside the hospital (formerly known as 'The Ambassador') is always the dearest fuel retailer in Limerick....apart from Pat Keogh's Nissan Dealer moment of madness;).
    It would appear that he does not want to sell fuel and is quite happy with his turnover in the shop itself. In fact, sometimes there are 'out of order' covers on most of the pumps.
    I can only assume that the shop planning conditions rely on the 'garage' aspect of the business, as it was an Esso fuel retailer long before they also added a shop.
    Also be warned that using the parking behind the premises while visiting the hospital results in Clamping.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The Topaz beside the hospital (formerly known as 'The Ambassador') is always the dearest fuel retailer in Limerick....apart from Pat Keogh's Nissan Dealer moment of madness;).
    It would appear that he does not want to sell fuel and is quite happy with his turnover in the shop itself. In fact, sometimes there are 'out of order' covers on most of the pumps.
    I can only assume that the shop planning conditions rely on the 'garage' aspect of the business, as it was an Esso fuel retailer long before they also added a shop.
    Also be warned that using the parking behind the premises while visiting the hospital results in Clamping.

Are you talking back to when that site was know as the Ambassador? If so then there was a different owner at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac4328

I am quite sick of reading the never ending number of threads on here of people who have no clue how petrol stations work and come on here accusing "greedy robbing petrol station owners" of ripping people off.

Firstly the profit off 1 litre of petrol or diesel is 3.5 cent. No matter what price be it 165.9 or 1.09 the profit will always be 3.5c. So the more the price goes up the less money you actually make becose less litres will invariably be sold.

Secondly every time someone pays with a debit card the garage is charged between 18 and 20 cent depending on which bank they do their business with. So the profit off €20 worth of petrol selling at 1.51 will only be between 26 -28c if using debit card. Credit cards take a percentage of the total transaction so the profit is practically wiped out there.

Thirdly, garages have no say in when the price of fuel rises. Literally you go onto the fuel supplier website and it'll say that between this date and this certain date you will be charged this certain price per litre. That is it and you have no choice. Either pay it or you get no fuel. And contrary to what people think about buying in thousands and thousands of litres of fuel weeks in advance at a low price and then upping the price once prices rise and rip people off...garages order in thousands of litres every 3 or 4 days..you cannot keep thousands of litres in stock for weeks..it makes absolute no sense whatsoever.

Sorry for the rant but my family have owned a petrol station for years and have had to put up with ignorant assholes coming in and screaming and roarimg and abusing us over the price of fuel. People dont seem to realise that a garage is a business and not a charity. The profit off fuel is pittance so please think about this the next you go on a boards forum and start abusing and bad mouthing a garage. A business which has to pay wages for employees and also make a living for the owner and their family who has to work 7 days a week..rant over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Please explain so how it is 1.67 in topaz Dooradoyle and 1.49 I think in newcastlewest? Surely that's evidence of greediness if they're all paying the same price for the stuff.

padma wrote: »
    Please explain so how it is 1.67 in topaz Dooradoyle and 1.49 I think in newcastlewest? Surely that's evidence of greediness if they're all paying the same price for the stuff.

Everyone isn't paying the same price..like I said its the fuel supplier that decides on the price they sell it to you at. They can sell to us at a certain price and then sell to another garage at a lower or higher price. We've had instances where we actually sell petrol at a cheaper price than a same brand garage nearby buys it at. The supplier knows around how much you sell each week. So they might up the price 2c but sales might only decrease a couple hundred of litres a day so they will make more money from that extra 2 cent even when the amount of litres sold decreases. Do you get where I'm coming from. Nobody in their right mind wants to sell expensive fuel. The supplier ups the price and makes more profit but the garage sales go down and as I've said before no matter what the price the garage only makes 3.5c per litre. The fuel supplier has no sympathy whatsoever for the petrol station. They just look to maximise profits

I have my doubts about what you are saying being true as I can't see how there could possibly be such a discrepancy in pricing.

padma wrote: »
    I have my doubts about what you are saying being true as I can't see how there could possibly be such a discrepancy in pricing.

Well why would I go through all this for nothing. But I couldn't really care less if you have doubts. What I'm saying is the truth. All you have to do ask every single garage owner you can find and they'll tell you the same thing. You don't even have to do that.. its not like its some kind of big inside secret or anything. Its one of the smallest margin business' around yet everyone seems to think garages are run by greedy millionaires and "cartels" which is just some of the outlandish crap I've read on these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

mac4328 wrote: »
    Well why would I go through all this for nothing. But I couldn't really care less if you have doubts. What I'm saying is the truth. All you have to do ask every single garage owner you can find and they'll tell you the same thing. You don't even have to do that.. its not like its some kind of big inside secret or anything. Its one of the smallest margin business' around yet everyone seems to think garages are run by greedy millionaires and "cartels" which is just some of the outlandish crap I've read on these boards.

Pop outside and take a deep breath, so much rage for someone with so few posts.

Pop outside and take a deep breath, so much rage for someone with so few posts.

Haha sorry about the rants :P but I really get annoyed with people who don't have a clue what their talking about writing utter nonsense on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

For as long as there are folk unwilling to shop around for better prices, there will be places more than willing to charge them higher prices.

A lot of people still pull into filling stations and pay no heed to the per litre price of fuel. They just pop in their €40 or whatever at a go and toddle along. Probably the same sort of people that then cannot figure out why their €40 worth of fuel gives them such a poor return in terms of distance travelled on it.

Also a lot of the stations in other parts of Ireland that charge far more at the pumps than the national average are being used by branches of the public service (one ex Statoil on the Quays in Dublin springs to mind as a station that got some media attention over this) and it would seem that getting value for money is a secondary consideration for some of the sectors that have state money to waste use. Now I am of course not saying anything about the Limerick station beside the Hospital, just that some of the other stations in Ireland with unusually high prices have state agencies using them for fuel.

The same station was at one stage charging 150% of the going rate. I believe the price there peaked at about about 179.9c . Think there was a change of ownership at some stage very competitive prices for Dublin now. That place offering 20c off for a litre with a €60 shop sounds savage assuming price in store is decent. I am lucky that my nearest garage is one of the cheapest I know. Another esso 3km away is about 11c dearer per litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I do not understand why someone would get mad at a retailer anyway. If someone doesnt like the prices being offered, nobody is forcing them to purchase there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nice to see the owner of the most expensive topaz making an appearance on the thread! There is absolutely no justification for the price of fuel at that Topaz station! Whenever i see people filling up there, I make it my business to tell them to shop elsewhere to get more bang for their buck.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Nice to see the owner of the most expensive topaz making an appearance on the thread! There is absolutely no justification for the price of fuel at that Topaz station! Whenever i see people filling up there, I make it my business to tell them to shop elsewhere to get more bang for their buck.

Yeah and your the typical Irish begrudger with a chip on your shoulder. You don't want to hear the truth you just want to give out stink even after you've heard the facts. Typical of the ignorant miserable people in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Yeah and your the typical Irish begrudger with a chip on your shoulder. You don't want to hear the truth you just want to give out stink even after you've heard the facts. Typical of the ignorant miserable people in this country.

Why not get a different supplier?

Begrudger? Because I want to help the ordinary irish customer to find a better deal and get more mileage for their hard earned money??

Why not get rid of the station if you arent making money from it?! Everyone knows there is very little money from it, and that food/deli & other products is where the real money is.

I have sympathy for what Mac4328 is saying. The margin is very low. That's why garages have started to disappear - the owners were making no money on them.

Also, it's true that if you've competeing garages close by you'll likely get a better deal than if you go to a garage that's isolated. That's why I'll support both my nearby garages (there's usually only .1 of a cent between them, but if the more expensive garage closed the other garage's price would shoot up - so makes sense in the long run to support both.

Not so sure if every garage is sticking bang on a 3.5c margin, but there's no point blaming the individual garage or their staff.

And a thread like this is still useful or should that be usefuel :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Begrudger? Because I want to help the ordinary irish customer to find a better deal and get more mileage for their hard earned money??

Why not get rid of the station if you arent making money from it?! Everyone knows there is very little money from it, and that food/deli & other products is where the real money is.

And stop taking advantage of people who don't know the area while they are visiting sick and dying family members and friends? Sure that would be madness.

smcgiff wrote: »
    I have sympathy for what Mac4328 is saying. The margin is very low. That's why garages have started to disappear - the owners were making no money on them.

Also, it's true that if you've competeing garages close by you'll likely get a better deal than if you go to a garage that's isolated. That's why I'll support both my nearby garages (there's usually only .1 of a cent between them, but if the more expensive garage closed the other garage's price would shoot up - so makes sense in the long run to support both.

Not so sure if every garage is sticking bang on a 3.5c margin, but there's no point blaming the individual garage or their staff.

In that case both garages would close? If customers shop with their feet.

Applegreen on the Ennis road selling unleaded for 148.8 this morning. Cheapest within the city limits now methinks

The margins are low, but exactly 3.5c for every station is total rubbish. But might be best that we keep the thread for highlighting prices so that folks can make up their own minds as to what represents good value for them.

Mod Post: Don't post in this thread again. You could have made your point without resorting to abusive comments

• Advertisement

In that case both garages would close? If customers shop with their feet.

I don't follow - it's in the consumers interest for as much competition as possible. If you share the love they can both stay open. If there's only one then there's a lot less incentive to keep prices down.

I don't follow - it's in the consumers interest for as much competition as possible. If you share the love they can both stay open. If there's only one then there's a lot less incentive to keep prices down.

yeah but there is competition and their prices are still the highest in the county

yeah but there is competition and their prices are still the highest in the county

Ah, you're talking about the one near the hospital...

I'm not. I'm talking about the two stations near me, which are both very good value in comparison to other stations. I'm hoping that will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

143.9 in Jimmy Naughtons underneath bridge in Annacotty always fill up there always a few pence cheaper

It was 154.9 in the topaz roxboro last night.

Applegreen on the Ennis road selling unleaded for 148.8 this morning. Cheapest within the city limits now methinks

Is that the one down from the Gaelic Grounds? If so then I'm not sure they are Applegreen anymore, last time I passed they didn't have any branding on display, just the old green coloured fittings around the forecourt and roof. That made me very sceptical about their low prices.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is that the one down from the Gaelic Grounds? If so then I'm not sure they are Applegreen anymore, last time I passed they didn't have any branding on display, just the old green coloured fittings around the forecourt and roof. That made me very sceptical about their low prices.

Their signage had Applegreen on it early this morning.

Noticed that the canopy is now up on the site being worked on on the Dock road as well ( Where the Texaco station used to be on the right hand side before reaching the Cement factory roundabout.) Seems to be some work done on foundations to the side of the canopy also, so there may be a filling station back in operation there sooner rather than later.

Noticed that the canopy is now up on the site being worked on on the Dock road as well ( Where the Texaco station used to be on the right hand side before reaching the Cement factory roundabout.) Seems to be some work done on foundations to the side of the canopy also, so there may be a filling station back in operation there sooner rather than later.

I noticed that during the week alright, It could do with a maxol or texaco, but from the canopy earlier this week, it looked like an independent type one, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Their canopy was always non-branded, but it's an Applegreen alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Looks like the "Sheikh" (Tara Oil) is going back into the retail fuel business

dont know about today, but t'was 153.9 yesterday in topaz roxboro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

148.8 for petrol in apple green shannon banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    148.8 for petrol in apple green shannon banks

Thereabouts in NCW too.

150.9 maxol parkway

Applegreen out on the Ennis Road:

Unleaded - 148.9
    Diesel - 142.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Applegreen out on the Ennis Road:

Unleaded - 148.9
    Diesel - 142.9

Where abouts on the Ennis road is Applegreen

where the xtravision is, which used to be video city beside the bowling alley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

apc wrote: »
    Where abouts on the Ennis road is Applegreen

Beside the shamrock

I'd be staying away from buying petrol down the dock rd for a while, after the floods today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pumps.ie is down (again!) :(

anyone got latest prices around town?? please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fryup wrote: »
    pumps.ie is down (again!) :(

anyone got latest prices around town?? please

Inver Ballinacurra was 143.9 for petrol earlier on today. Not sure about diesel. Around 1.30 I THINK, but couldn't swear on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement