Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 First Impressions

Options
  • 29-11-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking to know what you guys think of the PS4 so far? The good and the bad please. Is it everything you thought it would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Picking up mine after work.
    It is all things to all men. The alpha and the omega. The beginning and the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

I like that everything is very fast with UI, going in and out of the game etc... What really impressed me the most is the controller, the sticks are very small, but not in a bad way, triggers feels great and the speaker is very clear the controller itself is very surprisingly light as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

it looks good in the box! 2hrs 35 mins to home time!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

mines laying on my bed waiting for me to finish work. Iv got her unwrapped as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

mines laying on my bed waiting for me to finish work. Iv got her unwrapped as well....

Raunchy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Loving all this ambient music!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Stop teasing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Loving all this ambient music!

You can turn that off, started to annoy me after while.

Something I did notice is that Killzone is cheaper to buy on PSN than any walk in shop in Ireland at €59.99. Fair play to Sony. The game installs very quick and is ready to play in a minute or two. The PS4 Orbis OS uses up a good bit of HDD space, the PS4 has 409Gb free space with the formatting and OS allocation.

Really like this more than the Xbox One interface which to me seems all over the place and some options hidden away that should not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mileslow

Can you buy Fifa/NFS on the PSN? If so, how much are they?

• Advertisement

mileslow wrote: »
    Can you buy Fifa/NFS on the PSN? If so, how much are they?

Yep, both €69.99 thanks to EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

i think they are 69.99 on PSN

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mileslow

Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I really feel like SOny are missing a serious trick there. If they charged 40 say as atandard for games on PSN I'd never bother buying disks again. Charging 70 quid for something I can get for 45 in an actual shop is a bit stupid. This is on PS3 mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Loving it so far. Had only seen the console previously in its display case in Argos.
    The controller for me is the best part. Really fits well in the hands.
    Uploaded some screenshots onto Facebook earlier and quality is really good. Looking forward to some Killzone tonight with other Boards members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I really feel like SOny are missing a serious trick there. If they charged 40 say as atandard for games on PSN I'd never bother buying disks again. Charging 70 quid for something I can get for 45 in an actual shop is a bit stupid. This is on PS3 mind.

Online games have to be cheaper. Hardcopies hold better their value IMO. There are several advantages but the main two will be, resell price (Im not sure if you can resell online games once you have downloaded them) and also that you can play the game in other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Make a US account and buy the games on their store? It's like 45 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Any one else having problems signing in ????
    Keep getting sever error

And as soon as I post this .... I get in

And I am kicked out again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Any one else having problems signing in ????
    Keep getting sever error

Ya the network is down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Servers buckling under strain of loads of kids logging in after school? That's not a good sign. Hopefully will be stable when I get off work in an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I collected at 11am this morning. I got the mega bundle with a red and a blue DS4 and BF4 .

After all the updating and PS+ games I'm having a ball. The whole family are loving the camera and its features. Kicking the little bot bastads around the room is great fun . Air hockey is great aswell . Contrast is a bit mehh . BF4 looks great ,Warframe cant be played because the network is down .Resogun is cool looking with great sound . I hav'nt even put KZ into the console yet.

The sound through my Onkyo amp is rocking the gaff ,and the picture is sweet on my Samy plasma.

Its a good day to die ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Got mine last night.

Very happy with it.

Few points though...

I was in Smyths before picking up my PS4. I had a go of the Xbox ONE for the first time... The ONE controller is far better than the DS4 imo. Dare I say even the 360 controller is actually better. Still, the DS4 is nice and a huge improvement over the older controllers which were pieces of crap. Just an observation and to bring a bit of balance as everyone seems to be swooning over the DS4 (obviously only people that never had a 360).

Graphics are great from next gen, not as mindblowing though as the transition through previous gen's.

The console is sleek enough (i was actually surprised at how quiet and small ot is) especially for the first "type" or model. Definitely nicer than the ONE, but i think out of all consoles so far the Xbox 360 Elite Slim was the nicest looking.

And a very minor criticism is the consoles light bar. I was expecting it to be Blue when running, it would've looked better and more "Playstation-esque" than White.

Overall though, i'm delighted with my purchase. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

After using the xbox controller for the past few years, I actually prefer the ds4. It just feels great in the hand, the triggers are excellent, the sticks are so much tighter and more responsive and I love the fact you can stick headphones in it. Loving the console so far, but cannot sign in online!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lets see;

Console: Looks good, feels well made.

Controller: I love it. It's like it was made especially for my hands. The "Options" button will take getting used to however. It feels good in my hands, the trigger buttons, analog sticks and d-pads are a massive step up.

Interface: Very simple and clean. Just the way an interface should be.

Install times seems good, load times are fine so yeah very satisfied. PSN issues are unfortunate but these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

It's definitely a big improvement over the PS3. I'm very happy with it. The DS4 is such an improvement in gameplay - I don't make mistakes in the game anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Ohh...and my console is whisper quite .

ps. I got rid of a 360 to buy the PS3 because I thought the controllers on the 360 where crap and the game selection was far too mature orientated with very little choice for family fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Ohh...and my console is whisper quite .

ps. I got rid of a 360 to buy the PS3 because I thought the controllers on the 360 where crap and the game selection was far too mature orientated with very little choice for family fun.

lol

I was the opposite. The main reason why I play on my xbox 360 and not my PS3 was the controller, too small and flimsy for me. I even bought one of those scuff controllers with some extra buttons and PS3 like thumbsticks.

I can't wait to get my hands on the new one, only then I will be able to give my opinion, the XBOX one controller is fantastic, exactly what I want, I dont miss my scuff at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

i sold my ps3 for the ps4.....what impresses me is the background downloading, the UI is clean and functional....very fast. the double tap to go from game to home screen, or voice command is all fluid.

the UI is a massive improvement....and its very early days, i doubt in 2 years the UI will look anything like what we have now. they have masses of ram and resources to add endless features over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The bad, mine is very loud and irritating. Took ages to get it going online but all's great now. Having more problems getting killzone to work.

The good, UI so fast as well as the store. Brilliant. Killzone (the amount I played it at least) was great.

Said I'd keep my PS3 around... after this I just couldn't go back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Overall I'm very happy with it so far. A few teething problems such as online not working for a while and Battlefield being in Spanish but that was all forgotten about when I won a few games in FIFA, shot a few people dead in bf4, and kicked a few robots around with the camera

Advertisement