Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

mileslow wrote: »
    Can you buy Fifa/NFS on the PSN? If so, how much are they?

You can set up an American account, buy the PSN cards off Amazon. Com and you'll get them for 45 euro.. Also nfs and fifa have been my favourite titles so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 party12

I got a PS4 at the midnight launch. I was very excited until I turned the console on. If you only want the console for games then its a good investment.

What I dont like about the console is simply the Playstation Network is awful. Its slow and doesnt even have youtube etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

party12 wrote: »
    I got a PS4 at the midnight launch. I was very excited until I turned the console on. If you only want the console for games then its a good investment.

What I dont like about the console is simply the Playstation Network is awful. Its slow and doesnt even have youtube etc etc etc.

Well Sony have clearly positioned the machine as a games console pure and simple. Things like YouTube are far less important but will come in time. Anyway I'm sure nearly everyone has multiple ways of watching YouTube, Netflix etc...

As for PSN being slow, I haven't noticed that myself. Has been faster than ever for me. Although that's not saying much after how slow it was on my PS3. But a few teething problems are to be expected when launching in so many countries simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

party12 wrote: »

PSN is under a lot of stress at the moment .I've not really had issues (except for yesterday,same for everyone) . The Youtube ,RTE player etc apps will come in the next while with updates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Underwhelmed so far.............putting it down to build up burn out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Happy with my purchase, serious upgrade from PS3 and the best is still yet to come on the PS4. We are only dipping our toes in the water this launch weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Don't know how anyone can say PSN is slow on PS4, I'm guessing it's your connection that's the issue because it's lightening fast for me.

Hoping for some updates for the browser soon. It won't play the video from the sport subscription service that worked so well for me on the PS3.
    Also, if you find any video sites that do happen to play, it won't switch to full screen and you can't zoom in to fit the screen either.
    I'd like to see the YouTube app back too, works better than the one in my TV.

On the gaming side, I couldn't be happier. Everything just looks so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, my first impressions.

As elitist prick pc master race member I honestly saying - ps4 is freaking amazing. Specially when you count in that this machine costs only 399eu, small and looks more beautiful then got it self.

Machine it self is very beautiful and I don't want to put it somewhere deep to hide it. It is up front so everyone could see it. Very silent 99% of time. Only when you put in brand new game it makes some sounds and dies out as soon as it got its basic installation.
    UI is very good. Very simple and efficient. Everything where it should be. If you have even basic knowledge of ps3 UI - you know ps4 UI.
    Background downloading and installation - God sent. Set to download and play sosomething, then get notification that it is ready and go pew pew pew.
    Games are a lot of fun. I am really shocked how good they run on such spec. On top of that those are launch titles. Who ever says that difference is very small is blind. It's very hard for me to go to ps3 after 1080p and decent settings.
    Controller - I like almost everything about it, though for some reason I noticed some discomfort in my left hand after longer session. It looks like due to me pushing L3 to run all the time. I don't like R3 and L3, they feel a bit too hard to push. It's grand when you don't need to push them much, but in fps you need to use it a lot.

Overall it is a fantastic machine. On top of that you got some fantastic free to play games. If you are a gamer then ps4 is a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Impressed with the PS4. I gave the Vita remote play a go, and its works for the most part. I do see some issues on the ground floor, when I am playing via the router. If I am near the PS4 and connecting via the console, it runs great. The rear touch pad is an ok solution for the Vita not having as many buttons as the DS4.

Games installed fast, and I was ready to play very quickly. The whole process seemed to be a lot faster than the Xbox One in that regards.

I have Assassins Creed 4 and Killzone, and they both look and play great.

Overall very happy with the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rioner

Controller - I like almost everything about it, though for some reason I noticed some discomfort in my left hand after longer session. It looks like due to me pushing L3 to run all the time. I don't like R3 and L3, they feel a bit too hard to push. It's grand when you don't need to push them much, but in fps you need to use it a lot.

Loved the controller at first but after just a few games of Fifa my left thumb is in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Im very Impressed so far ,the machine is quiet except for when it starts installing but after about 10-30mins it dies down, The background downloading when the machine is off and controller charging when it is off is fantastic

Killzone honestly is probably the best looking game I've ever seen not the best game to play but as a technical showcase its mighty encouraging that this can be pulled off.

Since I have a pc too I can compare like for like on my copy of Assassins Creed 4 The ps4 runs it at 1080p @30fps with no drops in framerate whatsoever and has TXAA applied which is actually fairly taxing and its very impressive that it can run so smoothly with it on

My PC (GTX 660,i7 3.5ghz) Can get an extra 10 fps while playing I get 35-40fps most of the time with the same settings as the ps4 considering the pc cost €1000 the ps4s value cant be understated at all its very impressive

And then theres resogun tbh its fantastic and the fact that its free on plus is even better :)

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Im very Impressed so far ,the machine is quiet except for when it starts installing but after about 10-30mins it dies down, The background downloading when the machine is off and controller charging when it is off is fantastic

Killzone honestly is probably the best looking game I've ever seen not the best game to play but as a technical showcase its mighty encouraging that this can be pulled off.

Since I have a pc too I can compare like for like on my copy of Assassins Creed 4 The ps4 runs it at 1080p @30fps with no drops in framerate whatsoever and has TXAA applied which is actually fairly taxing and its very impressive that it can run so smoothly with it on

My PC (GTX 660,i7 3.5ghz) Can get an extra 10 fps while playing I get 35-40fps most of the time with the same settings as the ps4 considering the pc cost €1000 the ps4s value cant be understated at all its very impressive

And then theres resogun tbh its fantastic and the fact that its free on plus is even better :)

Just to note: AC4 is horribly optimised for pc. Something that Ubisoft had said: no point in optimising games for pc, they cam just go and buy new gpus. I **** you not. A total prick and asshole.

Something llike bf4 would be better comparison m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I had ACIV on both so I thought Id test it :) The PS4 Version is great really enjoying playing it after playing through the last few on ps3 @20fps with tearing >.< It feels great to be able to play Assassins Creed with a decent framerate

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Slick beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I love the way I can charge the DS4's with mobile ph chargers.

AWSOME...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

After 3 days now with the PS4 i am loving it :D

Played a few hours of assassin's creed 4 and my god its a playable assassin's creed :O after the shocker that was number 3 on the PS3 witch i gave up on as the fact is the game never worked right and the story was shocking !!!

Need For Speed what a epic racing game just fun to play as like its so simple but yet so much fun to be had in the game. With the great DS 4 my hand does not hurt after playing for a hour

Killzone looks epic, plays great but my good the game is boring as hell have played 6 captors so far and like its so boring.

Resogun something else if you loved super star dust like myself you would love this game fact. Just words cant say how much fun this game is

The new DS 4 is great fells great everything on the screen re acts with in a ms of pressing it on the controller. Buttons are so nice to press.

Use of Twitch TV is great was pissing of my friends on facebook by linking them me playing games LoL

So far after 9 months of waiting for the PS4 i will say i loving every bit of it. Just cant wait to more and more games come out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

lads I picked up the bundle pack but promised the wife I would keep it till Christmas day, as I am a big baby when it comes to Christmas time :D

Kinda regretting it now, the wife says I will never last out till then, but I want to spite her and last, what should one do, rip it open and play it or big the bigger man and keep it till Christmas :D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

djsim101 wrote: »
    lads I picked up the bundle pack but promised the wife I would keep it till Christmas day, as I am a big baby when it comes to Christmas time :D

Kinda regretting it now, the wife says I will never last out till then, but I want to spite her and last, what should one do, rip it open and play it or big the bigger man and keep it till Christmas :D:D

Life is too short to deny yourself.
    It takes a bigger man to admit that the wife is right.
    Take one #fortheplayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

This is taking me all the way back to the parents buying me a C64, I saw the Da putting up in the attic till Christmas and promising the mother I would keep it...parents go out the next day....by god I took it down gave it a try, I nearly got one game loaded before they arrived back as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

You should really set it up and update it , download a few game and test the system just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Mate if you're gonna do that stay off this thread :pac: you're gonna love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so many positives to mention. ill just mention the few negatives.

light bar is ridicilous at night
    no notification of friends coming online..seriously sony?
    only way to eject disc is to press options > eject disc. a button on console would be far more usefull(well i cant find no button at least)
    cant pause downloads
    cant see % on downloads
    cant see how fast downloads are downloading

they are all just my personal opinion but if it was my choice, id change everything i mentioned above. anyone else annoyed by the negatives i said?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

MarkY91 wrote: »

only way to eject disc is to press options > eject disc. a button on console would be far more usefull(well i cant find no button at least)
    cant pause downloads
    cant see % on downloads

they are all just my personal opinion but if it was my choice, id change everything i mentioned above. anyone else annoyed by the negatives i said?

Eject button is under the Power button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

MarkY91 wrote: »

cant pause downloads
    cant see % on downloads

Thats some BS right there. It shows how rushed the OS was.
    But you can be sure all these little features that are missing will start to pop up with each firmware update they roll out.

It'l be interesting to see how the OS and features evolve over the next couple years though. I seen in a interview how they reserved like a gig ram (from the 8g) for adding new features over the consoles life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Razleavy wrote: »
    Eject button is under the Power button :)
    ive been pressing there and nothing would ever happen..until today after i posted this lol
    Thats some BS right there. It shows how rushed the OS was.
    But you can be sure all these little features that are missing will start to pop up with each firmware update they roll out.

It'l be interesting to see how the OS and features evolve over the next couple years though. I seen in a interview how they reserved like a gig ram (from the 8g) for adding new features over the consoles life span.

i have no doubt that everything i mentioned will be added soon enough. compare ps3 when it first came out until now. we couldnt even go to our friends list and send a message without having to quit out of a game. so im very excited to see what changes will be made :)

one more negative i have.....not being able to see when your friends last logged in. again..im sure it will be added though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can see downloads, pause them and see how fast they are downloading and % complete. It's all in the notifications icon. You download more than one thing at a time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

What about the crappy glossy plastic ? Some users on IGN complaining about how there are all these 'swirl marks' on the shiny drive cover (new out of the box) and they suspect their PS4's might have been used as demo's and then repackaged after been given a wipe to get rid of the fingerprints. Sure looks like a dust/fingerprint magnet like the PS4 phat. I guess you don't look at the thing when playing it, and it's only noticeable under a bright light so it doesn't matter. Still, would have preferred if it was an all matt finish though.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ps4-swirl-marks-on-shiny-black-plastic.453520883/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Controller - I like almost everything about it, though for some reason I noticed some discomfort in my left hand after longer session. It looks like due to me pushing L3 to run all the time.

Let me guess, warframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

very annoyed that my wireless headset isnt being recognized by the ps4. had to pull out my old trittons and something is really, really wrong with the sound. some are suggesting that the compatability issues will be solved with the next update. its incredibly annoying, because i just cant play an fps without a quality headset/mic. also the mic included with the console is pathetic to say the least. this, on top of the other issues mentioned is a real buzz-kill. graphics are awesome and the interface is nice enough to use. controller is fine -nothing special really. I know the best is yet to come from this console, but...am I the only one thinking that its not that much better than the ps3? - like 400Euro unnecessarily spent?

• Advertisement

TomCo wrote: »
    Let me guess, warframe?

I havent played much warframe on PS4 ( outside of my PC 297h according to steam :pac: ), I am waiting for merge thing available for us. No way I am getting all that stuff on PS4 too!

My thumb issue comes from Ghost. Always press L3 to run. So after good while it becomes a bit soar.

Advertisement