Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my attenuation so high

• 29-11-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am about 1.4km via the road network from the Eircom cabinets - ADSL and VDSL. The cabinets are connected to the NewtownMountKennedy exchange which is Fibre enabled.

My modem is showing a download attenuation figure of 123 which suggests I am about 9-10km from the cabinet. I am getting about 2.5Mb download on ADSL at best.

Can anyone explain how my attenuation could be so high when I am relatively close to the cabinet ? I have connected the modem directly to the main drop point with nothing else connected. As it stands the max speed I can obtain is 7Mb.

Is there anything I can do ? Can I get Eircom out to check the line ?

Thanks,

-P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

patrickpc wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am about 1.4km via the road network from the Eircom cabinets - ADSL and VDSL. The cabinets are connected to the NewtownMountKennedy exchange which is Fibre enabled.

My modem is showing a download attenuation figure of 123 which suggests I am about 9-10km from the cabinet. I am getting about 2.5Mb download on ADSL at best.

Can anyone explain how my attenuation could be so high when I am relatively close to the cabinet ? I have connected the modem directly to the main drop point with nothing else connected. As it stands the max speed I can obtain is 7Mb.

Is there anything I can do ? Can I get Eircom out to check the line ?

Thanks,

-P

That 123 attenuation figure is without doubt a false. You won't get DSL sync over ~65db and with that you'd struggle to get 1 meg speeds.

If you're still on ADSL which you suggest, then your distance from the cabinet is irrelevant. It's the distance from the exchange that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That 123 attenuation figure is without doubt a false. You won't get DSL sync over ~65db and with that you'd struggle to get 1 meg speeds.

If you're still on ADSL which you suggest, then your distance from the cabinet is irrelevant. It's the distance from the exchange that's important.

OK - thanks.

Has anyone else on here had issue with high attenuation figures ?

I have ordered eFibre so hopefully this won't be an issue once installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Who are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're line is faulting or your modem is f'cked if its reading 123dB.

kaizersoze wrote: »

logik wrote: »
    Who are you with?

I am with Vodafone. I am getting a constant download rate of between 2.5-2.6 Mbs and upload of about 0.3Mbs.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You're line is faulting or your modem is f'cked if its reading 123dB.

The modem seems to be working Ok - I rarely have to reboot it. I think that the neighbours are all getting around the same download rates so could it be a fault on the line to the cabinet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

It sounds like your profile is set to 3072Kb/384Kb download/upload (3meg) and as the other poster has said your modem is probably f**ked:)
    my downstream attenuation is 57dB (4Km from exchange)and I can manage to connect at the above profile & my actual speeds are exactly as you describe(2.5 down/.03 up)

seaniefr wrote: »
    It sounds like your profile is set to 3072Kb/384Kb download/upload (3meg) and as the other poster has said your modem is probably f**ked:)
    my downstream attenuation is 57dB (4Km from exchange)and I can manage to connect at the above profile & my actual speeds are exactly as you describe(2.5 down/.03 up)

I upgraded the firmware on my modem Belkin Surf+ and the attenuation is now reading 56db which is more like it as I reckon I am about 4km from the exchange, via the cabinet about 1.5km away.

Am I right to think that my attenuation should drop to about 20 or so once I am upgraded to fibre via the cabinet 1.5km away? According to this site http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php I should be getting upto 20Mb if this is true.

Anything would be better than the 2.5Mb I'm on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

I upgraded the firmware on my modem Belkin Surf+ and the attenuation is now reading 56db which is more like it as I reckon I am about 4km from the exchange, via the cabinet about 1.5km away.

Am I right to think that my attenuation should drop to about 20 or so once I am upgraded to fibre via the cabinet 1.5km away? According to this site http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php I should be getting upto 20Mb if this is true.

That unfortunately depends on Eircom am afraid. I would guess that you will be in the same boat as me but I hope not (no date on when the exchange will get fibre and all the promises in the world when I rang Eircom cancellations) I am changing to a fixed wireless provider in December getting (hopefully) 6Meg down 2 meg up as Eircom don't give a flying F**K about people like us around 4km from the exchange:cool: & I have had it up to here paying for a phone line that I don't use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

How is the distance from the cabinet worked out using the line attenuation figure ?

Edit : ah ok found this

Less than 1km = 24Mbit
    1.0km = 13.81dB = 23Mbit
    1.5km = 20.7dB = 21Mbit
    2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit
    2.5km = 34.5dB = 13Mbit
    3.0km = 41.4dB = 8Mbit
    3.5km = 48.3dB = 6Mbit
    4.0km = 56dB = 4Mbit
    4.5km = 62.1dB = 3Mbit
    5.0km = 69dB = 2Mbit

• Advertisement

These are the extended reach profiles.....

15M_3M_R 15 3 1400m
    12M_1M_R 12 1 1700m
    7M_1M_R 7 1 2000m

You'll be put on one to suit your line. There are also Rate Adaptive (RA) versions of the profiles.

Lennyzip wrote: »
    How is the distance from the cabinet worked out using the line attenuation figure ?

Edit : ah ok found this

Less than 1km = 24Mbit
    1.0km = 13.81dB = 23Mbit
    1.5km = 20.7dB = 21Mbit
    2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit
    2.5km = 34.5dB = 13Mbit
    3.0km = 41.4dB = 8Mbit
    3.5km = 48.3dB = 6Mbit
    4.0km = 56dB = 4Mbit
    4.5km = 62.1dB = 3Mbit
    5.0km = 69dB = 2Mbit

They are ADSL2/2+ figures and not 'real world'. You wouldn't get 2 meg at 69dB in a month of Sundays. You'd even struggle to get sync.

This site is a tad more realistic and gives VDSL output as well.
    Still not real world but a bit closer.

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think eircom themselves get confused over attenuation figures. I was once quoted 78dB for my family's phone but it can support 3072/384 and at 55dB attenuation. The line is 6k long from house to exchange, almost as the crow flies. I can't honestly explain it! (the VDSL rollout didn't change those figures)

Advertisement