Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin service

Options
  • 29-11-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, i currently pay 193 for annual bins with Ozo collecing every 2 weeks. I dont need it collect that much so does anyone know any other providers who are cheaper than this please? That include recycling as well?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wayne_M

We're paying €25 p/m with Greenstar, which is €300+ per year - including recycling - I might move to your crowd :)

Interested to see how this thread evolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we're with Ozo also collected fortnightly and its 275 (+ an extra 25 for glass) - not sure where you got that deal for 193 from, that's very cheap and I doubt you'll get anything for less than that even if you are willing to reduce the frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Wayne M - i left that crowd 2 years ago as their prices are crazy!
    Loyatemu - here's the link to the price i got last Feb. Its 198 for the year. Dont pay for the glass.... http://www.ozo.ie/app/index.php?task=product&cat_type_id=4&territory_id=2

Its the 140 litre bin as opposed to the 240 litre.
    I am willing to reduce the frequency as i'm not availing of it every 2 weeks. Does anyone know anything about pay as you go service? Or does it exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Wud u not think of using bags, then u only need to put them out whenever they are full ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Wayne_M

Cranipea wrote: »
    Wayne M - i left that crowd 2 years ago as their prices are crazy!
    Loyatemu - here's the link to the price i got last Feb. Its 198 for the year. Dont pay for the glass.... http://www.ozo.ie/app/index.php?task=product&cat_type_id=4&territory_id=2

I'm assuming from this that Glass requires a 3rd bin - that it's not allowed in the Recycle bin? That would be a pain. It's already an eyesore having 2 bins outside our 2-bed TH.

bido, who provides a bag service? Not sure i'm keen on the idea though as have nowhere to "store" the rubbish then?
    Wayne - yes a third bin is required for glass but its a tiny bin. Only a box size thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Eurowaste were €200 this year for 13 lifts of the 240 litre bin - I haggled to €180. I put the bin out once a month. If only the year was another month longer then I'd be getting value for money.

Edit: Eurowaste were taken over by Thorntons.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Off the top off my head, Thorntons charged me 50 euro sign up fee last April. For that I got a 280 litre bin and same size recycling bin with 2 rubbish lifts and as many recycling lifts as necessary.

I then pay 10 euro per rubbish lift with the recycling obviously free. To date it's has cost me 50 plus 3 lifts, so 80 euro.

At that rate il get to April with 3 more lifts, 4 max so total for the year will be 110 or 120.

The 50 will be due again in April to start the year again.

The downside is glass isn't collected in the recycling and the recycling is collected every 2nd week. However this is more than adequate with the 280 bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

you can buy greenstar(purple) bags at the shop. I get them at supervalu. they currently cost around 57 euro (56 and change) for ten. We live next door to the in- laws and do a lot of our own recycling. Between 2 households (4 adults) we put out one full bag every two weeks. Like I said we gather all the bottles,cans,paper, cardboard and take that into the recycling center in bray, We have are own plastic bin that we keep the bag in outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cranipea wrote: »

OK - we have the larger bin, hence the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Having been with Euro waste prior to their take over, we shopped around and found that over all, if your life is worth more to you than having to constantly wade through your refuse to sort it into what can go to recycling and what can't ... Remembering to schedule the trip to the recycling centre and the inconvenience of storing your recycling if you don't make it to the centre .....for us OZO beat the others hands down (plus they're very pleasant to deal with when you call them) We're two busy professionals and involved in a lot of community and family activities outside of our working hours, so the convenience of having all our recyclable and landfill rubbish collected at a reasonable price is definitely worth it ( and the glass collection is a godsend)

You'll be hard pressed to do better than them. We looked at all the contenders.

Hope this helps.

Ok, so Thornton's sent through their pricing for this year:

Option A: €50 flat fee with €10 per lift of normal waste bin (top up method), recycling free eg. 12 lifts a year, total €170.
    Option B: €285 for bi-weekly (26 Lifts), recycling free

These are for the normal 240litre bins. Anyone else got anything cheaper from the other service providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Do Thorntons do a small bin? I'm always worried that if I get a big one it will start stinking due not to being emptied very often

Don't think they do. Bins stink regardless. Keep meaning to wash mine out when it's been emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

zanador wrote: »
    Do Thorntons do a small bin? I'm always worried that if I get a big one it will start stinking due not to being emptied very often

Yes. I have one.

Thanks for that FirstIn, I don't see it as an option on their website.

Incidentally, my green bin got collected today (Monday) by Thorntons - here's their new calendar. Charlesland is listed for Monday, Greystones for Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ok, so Thornton's sent through their pricing for this year:

Option A: €50 flat fee with €10 per lift of normal waste bin (top up method), recycling free eg. 12 lifts a year, total €170.
    Option B: €285 for bi-weekly (26 Lifts), recycling free

These are for the normal 240litre bins. Anyone else got anything cheaper from the other service providers?
    Am with OZO since Jan 2010. Left Greenstar as price increases were getting quite high. Started with 240 litre bin + recycling costing €245 per annum. Dropped to smaller bin in 2012 (26 lifts + recycling), costing €219 per annum for 2014. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

astrofluff wrote: »
    Thanks for that FirstIn, I don't see it as an option on their website.

Incidentally, my green bin got collected today (Monday) by Thorntons - here's their new calendar. Charlesland is listed for Monday, Greystones for Thursdays.

Jeez, they could have let customers know they were changing the day for collection. They sent me an invoice for the year without any other details, like, would they even collect before I paid up. When I tried to ring to find out, couldn't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

We just changed to green star as they've a €50 charge for the recycling (which includes glass) for the year and a €10 (I think) per non-recycling lift change on top of that. That makes 13 lifts just €180 for the year. Thorntons offer same price but don't do glass. I don't understand why their annual charge for non pay-as-you go is more expensive for the same thing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

sso wrote: »
    We just changed to green star as they've a €50 charge for the recycling (which includes glass) for the year and a €10 (I think) per non-recycling lift change on top of that. That makes 13 lifts just €180 for the year. Thorntons offer same price but don't do glass. I don't understand why their annual charge for non pay-as-you go is more expensive for the same thing???

Because you can get as many lifts as you want? - so you could get 52, which would be €570 for the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

zanador wrote: »
    Because you can get as many lifts as you want? - so you could get 52, which would be €570 for the whole year.

I know that. But they also have a 13 lift option which is €198! That's what I was comparing with.

Advertisement