Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving Tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Ok guys thank you all for the advice. I have several cards to play with these tenants and one of them happens to be that they have a family member in the social welfare. This person was in their local office until a couple of months back and when they moved to another office the tenant immediately stopped paying rent altogether ! Also I have not received one of the letters regarding if the rent is up to date from social welfare for about 3 years the same time that the tenants started falling a bit behind on rent every few months. I made an appointment to meet a prominent TD for today to pass on some "other" information I have that I can not divulge here yet and after a 100 mile trek to Dublin City centre this person skipped off just before our meeting and left me waiting for ages before a security guard made some calls and informed me I had wasted my journey. What is going on in the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Big Davey wrote: »
    Ok guys thank you all for the advice. I have several cards to play with these tenants and one of them happens to be that they have a family member in the social welfare. This person was in their local office until a couple of months back and when they moved to another office the tenant immediately stopped paying rent altogether ! Also I have not received one of the letters regarding if the rent is up to date from social welfare for about 3 years the same time that the tenants started falling a bit behind on rent every few months. I made an appointment to meet a prominent TD for today to pass on some "other" information I have that I can not divulge here yet and after a 100 mile trek to Dublin City centre this person skipped off just before our meeting and left me waiting for ages before a security guard made some calls and informed me I had wasted my journey. What is going on in the country ?

Why are you talking to a TD? Just go through the correct legal process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How long does that take?

(Multiple by rent to estimate loss to LL)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Because sometimes, as the OP clearly knows, local relationships can be leveraged to make the problem someone else's.

OP ... think very, very strategically here. Why would the TD not want your information? Who else might be able to use it?

Because sometimes, as the OP clearly knows, local relationships can be leveraged to make the problem someone else's.

OP ... think very, very strategically here. Why would the TD not want your information? Who else might be able to use it?
    I hear you !

• Advertisement

Well, it seemed it worked out well didn't it? TDs are a great bunch of lads alright :pac:

If the OP has evidence of fraud and the sw office are not listening then the next port of call is a formal complaint or the ombudsman. Not a TD who doesn't want the hassle.

A TD sees a vote. They want that hassle. I've never found the SW the slightest bit interested in dealing with the LL on issues. I tried to find out how long there backlog was in paying RA. Wouldn't tell me. Reported a tenant, I assume it was stopped. Bit I got zero feedback. My attitude is, if they are not interested, there's no incentive for me to be interested in their schemes either.

beauf wrote: »
    A TD sees a vote. They want that hassle. I've never found the SW the slightest bit interested in dealing with the LL on issues. I tried to find out how long there backlog was in paying RA. Wouldn't tell me. Reported a tenant, I assume it was stopped. Bit I got zero feedback. My attitude is, if they are not interested, there's no incentive for me to be interested in their schemes either.
    I made an appointment to meet a prominent TD for today to pass on some "other" information I have that I can not divulge here yet and after a 100 mile trek to Dublin City centre this person skipped off just before our meeting?

Doesn't look that interested to me. You need something with a paper trail.

Doesn't look that interested to me. You need something with a paper trail.

Usually you go to your local TD. I'm not so well versed on secret missions to a TD 100 miles away.

Usually you go to your local TD. I'm not so well versed on secret missions to a TD 100 miles away.

Why would you go to your local td to report welfare fraud though?

• Advertisement

Why would you go to your local td to report welfare fraud though?

It wouldn't be the only place I'd report it.

But the TD could raise a political question on such an issue for the minister, who would have to get it checked out. Which might prompt some action down the chain of apathy to the people who should be looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Just report it yourself directly here:

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

It wouldn't be the only place I'd report it.

But the TD could raise a political question on such an issue for the minister, who would have to get it checked out. Which might prompt some action down the chain of apathy to the people who should be looking at it.

You have more faith than I do I guess :)

You have more faith than I do I guess :)

Not faith. Theres always a paper chain of denaibilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sometimes TD's from smaller parties can be more, umm, ... effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

You really thought a TD would seriously touch this issue. This is a bad news story no matter how it turns out. If you get what you want the story is poor Tenant evicted, if you don't get what you want the story is political creation PRTB is a failure.

The Dail created the PRTB and stopped you being able to go straight to the Circuit Court, the PRTB takes a year to register a tenancy seriously how long to get the order. If I was you I would be telling your TD that the PRTB is a disaster.

The only time a TD wants to get involved in housing is when he can write to a person saying my letters got a LA house for you.

I will have interesting news in the new year just can't share it right now but watch this space.

What if the TD was also a MINISTER ?

infosys wrote: »
    You really thought a TD would seriously touch this issue. This is a bad news story no matter how it turns out. If you get what you want the story is poor Tenant evicted, if you don't get what you want the story is political creation PRTB is a failure.

The Dail created the PRTB and stopped you being able to go straight to the Circuit Court, the PRTB takes a year to register a tenancy seriously how long to get the order. If I was you I would be telling your TD that the PRTB is a disaster.

The only time a TD wants to get involved in housing is when he can write to a person saying my letters got a LA house for you.

So far I have found the PRTB to be both helpful and efficient.

I'd guess they are unlikely to rock their own boat.

• Advertisement

I'd guess they are unlikely to rock their own boat.
    Exactly !

So far I have found the PRTB to be both helpful and efficient.

And a year difference between you and your property.

O FFS. He has ignored you once take his ministry and shove it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A TD will not get involved in a housing dispute. Do we not remember the guy who wrote to his constituants about the traveller family? The TD has no upside on this and plenty of downside.
    Glad you have found the PRTB to be efficient. They must really have improved dramatically over the last 12 months.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A TD will not get involved in a housing dispute. Do we not remember the guy who wrote to his constituants about the traveller family? The TD has no upside on this and plenty of downside.
    Glad you have found the PRTB to be efficient. They must really have improved dramatically over the last 12 months.

So far they have been efficient and helpful with me but that could all change who knows. It's not quite a housing dispute and more just some unusual movements with a certain social welfare office that this particular tenant has a high ranking and we'll respected family member in.
    On a separate note if a tenant gives "almost" a months notice and thenmoves out "mid" the next month would it ever be considered to give a part of the months rent back or one it is into the next month is the full month owed ? The rent is charged monthly.
    I am starting to realise that although I have been renting out houses for many many years now I have actually had a very easy ride and compared to people here had no problems at all just the odd bit of damage etc etc so I am on a bit of a learning curve at the moment.

And a year difference between you and your property.
    A year really ? Please explain your experiences with us.

O FFS. He has ignored you once take his ministry and shove it.
    If I want a meeting with him in the new year I will get it. I pay his wages and will NOT be ignored. This persons dept made a very big announcement on the day I was to meet him so if he could not make that particular meeting sxxt happens.

A year really ? Please explain your experiences with us.

It takes a number of months for a determination to issue, then there is an appeal, at the last appeal I was at I was told by the appeal board, that they would make a decision but it would be at least 3 months to be notified that was over 2 months ago. The landlord in that case issued proceedings in excess of a year ago now. If both landlord and Tenant are fighting it takes in excess of 12 months to get a determination. Then and only then can the landlord go to the courts to enforce the order.

I also know for a fact that PRTB have taken in excess of 12 months to register a tenancy, in many cases the tenancy has ended before its even registered.

In the following example from getting PRTB order landlord himself had tennant evicted in 4 months, PRTB who tried to do the same in excess of 10 months and no joy.

"We recently came across a case in which it took the PRTB over ten months from the date of the Order being made by the PRTB to obtain a Circuit Court Order enforcing the Determination Order, all the while the tenant remained in illegal occupation of the landlord’s property. This ten month period does not take into account the actual enforcement of the Circuit Court Order, for example through the Sheriff, and even six months after obtaining the Circuit Court Order there was little progress as regards execution of the Circuit Court Order through the Sheriff.

In comparison we came across a case where the landlord initiated her own civil proceedings, independently of the PRTB, and it took only two months from the receipt of the PRTB Determination Order to obtain a Circuit Court Order enforcing the PRTB Order. The landlord then obtained an Execution Order directed to the Sheriff in less than one month of the Circuit Court Order being made and recovered possession of their property within another month. The landlord successfully recovered possession in less than four months from the date of receipt of the PRTB Determination Order. In this case the landlord took the case herself and had to pay a solicitor and a barrister.

The message is that if you want quick enforcement (for example if your tenant is overholding) and you can afford to do it, then you should instruct your own solicitor to take enforcement proceedings."

http://www.propertyrock.ie/news-and-advice/court-ordered-enforcement-of-prtb-orders-by-the-prtb/

That does not take into account the time to get PRTB determination.

https://www.housing.ie/Our-Publications/Private-Rented-Sector/PRTB_Analysis-of-Determination-Orders-and-Disputes.aspx

Page 27.

If I want a meeting with him in the new year I will get it. I pay his wages and will NOT be ignored. This persons dept made a very big announcement on the day I was to meet him so if he could not make that particular meeting sxxt happens.

And what is he going to do, if you have evidence of fraud go to AGS. Why do people in this country go to TD's about personal legal issues. The very fact that people think its not only ok but also a real option, to go to a national politician and minister about a personal criminal matter says all that is wrong in our political system.

Make a complaint to the correct people.

• Advertisement

And what is he going to do, if you have evidence of fraud go to AGS. Why do people in this country go to TD's about personal legal issues. The very fact that people think its not only ok but also a real option, to go to a national politician and minister about a personal criminal matter says all that is wrong in our political system.

Make a complaint to the correct people.
    It's not a personal criminal matter it's a suspected fraud against the state of Ireland. A TD is my representative to the government in this matter as I am a tax payer and that's what they are there for to listen to me if they are not interested they are not doing their job. Just remember all I want is the money owed to me and yes sometimes if you are enough of a pain and press the right buttons things just go away that's the country we live in.

Advertisement