Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving Tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Maybe if you had acted as a proper landlord should early in this tenancy you wouldn't need to be going around trying to get Social Welfare and the Tax man to do your work.
    Can you please explain this statement ?

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Maybe if you had acted as a proper landlord should early in this tenancy you wouldn't need to be going around trying to get Social Welfare and the Tax man to do your work.
    If I did anything wrong it was just to be too easy going and too decent to this scumbag that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What happens if the PRTB award you 7-8k, you go to court to enforce it and the tenant has no money to pay it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

.. or they agree to a payment schedule then don't do it ...

... can't get blood from a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Social welfare can be garnished at source even if its just a fiver a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Thargor wrote: »

You'd be a long time dead by the time you had paid 7k off a fiver at a fiver a week!

Does this actually happen in this type of situation though? Genuinely asking as I'm not sure of the process. I know they would do it for to recoup an overpayment of benefits but on a private debt?

There always some hardship (genuine or not) that can be claimed to dilute any of that.

You also have to find the tenant. The DSP isn't going to help he LL (a third party) in pursuing a tenant.

beauf wrote: »
    There always some hardship (genuine or not) that can be claimed to dilute any of that.

You also have to find the tenant. The DSP isn't going to help he LL (a third party) in pursuing a tenant.
    I have no problem finding the Tenants I know where both sets of parents live and where the kids go to school the problem is it may cost me 2k in solicitors fees to get awarded €10 a week I will just wait and see. I don't intend to walk away so we will just see how it goes.
    If the Tenant appeals the PRTB decision what happens then ? We do it all over again I suppose ? Is there any deterrent to stop people appealing or surely everybody appeals ? Another drain on tax payers money. I don't know if the towrag even paid the SW back the rent allowance he spent and now he is demanding to be HOUSED ! Lol

I was making a general point about all LL exposure in similar situations.

• Advertisement

.. or they agree to a payment schedule then don't do it ...

... can't get blood from a stone.
    This family have got plenty of payment schedules of me and never honoured one of them I don't see them changing now.

I was making a general point about all LL exposure in similar situations.
    Ok sorry.

Big Davey wrote: »
    This family have got plenty of payment schedules of me and never honoured one of them I don't see them changing now.

If they won't honour a payment schedule and they don't have the money to pay back 7 grand of debt, why are you hellbent on chasing them for it? I know it's the principle of the matter, but it seems like it's only going to cost you more money again with no return.

A quick search on www.courts.ie and I have found plenty of instances where the PRTB are actively bringing people to court to secure judgements also their website would lead me to believe that they do follow through on cases any opinions guys ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A quick search on www.courts.ie and I have found plenty of instances where the PRTB are actively bringing people to court to secure judgements also their website would lead me to believe that they do follow through on cases any opinions guys ?

Oh they will bring them to court eventually but they have no real power. The court are the ones that enforce the orders and where the tenant can't or won't pay there is not much comeback for the landlord.

What happens after that though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sherrif gets involved, Goes to their house, Says they have no property of worth. They may get a conviction for it which will involve going to Mountjoy for half an hour.
    The court may garnish income at a few euro per week eventually.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sherrif gets involved, Goes to their house, Says they have no property of worth. They may get a conviction for it which will involve going to Mountjoy for half an hour.
    The court may garnish income at a few euro per week eventually.

At a fiver a week, you'd get barely over the rate of interest that 7-8k would get sitting in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Can this type of debt be sold on - I know there are companies that buy commercial debt.

Maybe if the landlord sold the debt on - even for 10c in the euro they'd get money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Can this type of debt be sold on - I know there are companies that buy commercial debt.

Maybe if the landlord sold the debt on - even for 10c in the euro they'd get money back.

Im not sure what happens once the PRTB have ruled. I know that before they have their ruling the landlord cannot do anything to pervert the legal process for chasing tenants in arrears (ie sell the debt on), but once the case has been heard and a ruling has been handed out Im not sure what might happen from there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Id say you have a snowballs chance in hell getting your money back. The only time Ive heard of social welfare deducting money is when they overpaid social welfare.
    The way it will be seen is the man has the very minimum they will threaten him, make orders eventually jail him for 20 minutes then send him on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

jane82 wrote: »
    Id say you have a snowballs chance in hell getting your money back. The only time Ive heard of social welfare deducting money is when they overpaid social welfare.
    The way it will be seen is the man has the very minimum they will threaten him, make orders eventually jail him for 20 minutes then send him on his way.

This. Social Welfare are not going to refund you because someone didn't pay their debts. You'll have to bear the cost I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Davey, a judgment means F all if someone has no assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

can you show where this has ever happened? Afaik this is not possible on basic social welfare payments.

It is done in other countries but not here.

I hope no dodgy Tenants are reading this as they will be encouraged no end to rip off decent law abiding tax paying landlords like myself. I have no problem following this through to the bitter end if not just for entertainment but to see what happens. For me it's a no loose situation at this moment I don't have any justice or money from the former tenant.
    30 mins in mountjoy is better than 0 mins in mountjoy.
    €5 per week is better than €0 per week
    I think things need to change regarding these problems and quick.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    can you show where this has ever happened? Afaik this is not possible on basic social welfare payments.

The partner has a job ! (Part time) and AFAIK the family are on some type of FIS with rent allowance so I am still hopeful that they may see sense and get a personal loan or something to pay me some or all of what's owed. Wishful thinking I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

It is possible and actually very common. Usually fathers who wont pay support and people who get overpaid. i.e not paying rent when claiming rent allowance or claiming while working then being back on the dole again.

If Davey proved they didnt pay rent while receiving a supplement to do so they will likely have to pay the dole back every cent. Likely 10 euro a week for the next few years.

Info Here

Cracked down heavy on this since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Yes, pay DSP back, not pay Big Davey. And Big Davey cannot take a case on behalf of DSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is possible and actually very common. Usually fathers who wont pay support and people who get overpaid. i.e not paying rent when claiming rent allowance or claiming while working then being back on the dole again.
    In cases you mention it can only be done with the agreement of the social welfare recipient, also if father's don't pay maintenance it is a different issue as they are failing to obey a court order so will be jailed for non payment.
    If Davey proved they didnt pay rent while receiving a supplement to do so they will likely have to pay the dole back every cent. Likely 10 euro a week for the next few years.

Info Here

Cracked down heavy on this since 2013.
    Whether they have to repay anything and the amount they must repay is between the department and the recipient and we can't say what action may or may not be taken but again taking any amount directly from a social welfare payment can only be done with the agreement of the recipient. The department will usually not take further action against people who facilitate recovery of overpayments.

A persons basic social welfare payment can not be touched by anyone not even the social welfare! and no private company or individual can garnish the payment in any way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Something similar happened to me ( although maybe deducations from welfare on your payslip are different)

Was on social welfare for like 4-5 months while out of work. During that timeframe I never received a penny. Walked int othe office one Friday afternoon and told them I'd secured a job, and and asked what the procedure now was. They said to provide a bank account and they'd transfer over the outstanding funds : /

Scrapped like a scrounge for 4 months, then get a lump sum? Odd system we have.

Anyway in work for about 60 days and I get a letter from the social welfare advising I had been provided welfare accidentally, and that the sum paid would be taken from my payslip per month until fully repaid.
    No explanation, no lines for appeal, no nothing.

After receiving nothing but poor assistance it took me having to launch legal proceedings before it got sorted then rapidly. It turns out there was some overpayment made years ago, and they somehow felt I was overpaid. Got it all paid back to me, again, in a lump.

Advertisement