Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help starting a society (for Current NUIG students)

Options
  • 29-11-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Guys! I'm looking for some volunteers. I am looking to start a Society in the spring: The Academic Writing Society. I guess the idea would be to share tips for writing, academic research, organization, etc. We'd hold a variety of workshops, including basic composition, using tools such as easybib, grammerly, etc, Presi and Powerpoint presentations, etc. Hopefully we could get some interesting speakers in and also go to a conference or two.

I need a few things, and maybe you can help! To get provisional approval, I need to submit a list of 15 students and their ID numbers who support and approve the formation of the society. There is no obligation to actually become involved in the society. If you are willing to do this, can you please PM me with your name as it is on your ID and your ID number so I can add it to the list?

A slightly bigger (but not really) commitment is that for the provisional form, I have to list some possible committee members. The thing is, you don't ACTUALLY have to be a committee member, as this will be voted on at an EGM in January, and I'm hoping to get some new recruits on Socs day (January 15th). If anybody is willing, again, will you PM me with your Name, phone, and email address to put on the form.

Lastly, if you are legitimately interested or have ANY suggestions AT ALL to make, PLEASE message me. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on campus, but any thoughts at all would be VERY MUCH appreciated. I know everyone has loads going on, but anything would be appreciated!

Send me a PM :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/support/academicwritingcentre/

There's a Writers' society, an English society, a Postgraduate Research society, an Education society... could you not sort of squeeze yourself in there somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Barna152

Ficheall wrote: »
    http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/support/academicwritingcentre/

There's a Writers' society, an English society, a Postgraduate Research society, an Education society... could you not sort of squeeze yourself in there somewhere?

Hi Ficheall,
    We've actually already met and talked to some of these societies, and agreed that starting a new society was a better idea for various reasons. We've already got about 25 new members from the groups you've mentioned above, as well as the International Student Society. In addition, the academic writing centre has offered to support us in various ways.

Thanks for the input! I'll have to check in with the education society to see what they are up to!

Advertisement