Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small issue, maybe paranoid?

• 29-11-2013 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have UPC in my apartment and a guy moved in next door. He asked could he share the internet, I agreed, big mistake, the UPC kept dropping and one night around 5 am. he knocked on my door, I don't answer my door to anyone I don't know who hasn't rung before calling, so I ignored, every fifteen minutes until I got out of bed at 8 am he would knock quite loud etc.

Finally I got up and there was the neighbour shouting aggressively about not having any access to internet. I ****ed him off out of it and told him that I would change the password and I gave him a tenner back for his problems, all the while he was acting the ape. In the past I would have hit him a clatter and sent him back to bed to nurse his wounds, anyways I am not prone to reacting violently anymore so, this guy believe me was very lucky.

Rang UPC, and they changed the number on the wifi connection and changed the password too. Now, the issue is when I open the network map it is showing up My computer---internet upc
    gateway----and the picture of a globe to indicate im on the internet.

My question is the gateway? what is it? Have I anything to worry about?

Comments

Why did you have to ring upc to change the password?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Im not computer savvy, and it was confusing for me, so I wanted to change the wifi connection number too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

padma wrote: »
    My question is the gateway? what is it? Have I anything to worry about?

That depends on your neighbour :cool:

homer911 wrote: »
    That depends on your neighbour :cool:

can you expand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

The gateway is the modem, once the ssid and wpa keys kave been changed your neighbor will have zero access to the internet through your conection, unless you give it to him again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

What kind of bellend would knock at the door at 5am?

Anyway, you should have Googled this stuff instead of contacting UPC because changing your wireless password is very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The gateway means you are connected to the internet, all 100% normal for Windows.

PS: Neighbour is a prat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

padma wrote: »
    .....I gave him a tenner back for his problems.....

Eh???

You shared your internet then paid him when it stopped working?

he had prepaid a month, and there was two weeks left, so he got his tenner back out of the twenty he had paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

What are the implications for you if he looked up illegal stuff on your account?
    Id be very careful sharing my account with anyone irregardless if they paid me or not

• Advertisement

I don't have to worry about it now anyway, but i'm sure if the guards came knocking I'd be pointing them to him next door.

Advertisement