Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walsh Park and GAA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

;)

The fact is that Waterford has historically been a garrison town largely unsympathetic to nationalist and by natural proression GAA ideals. When the first soldiers marched into Waterford after the withdrawal of the Devonshires they were spat upon and jeered by crowds of local people. Waterford was regarded as a hotbed of recruitment in the 1st world war and was regarded as only second to Belfast in loyalty to the crown. Generations of loyalty to the King OR Queen .The great Dan Fraher a staunch republican was the oldest internee in Ballykinlar Co Down and it would be a great tribute to him to establish the ground in the heart of the county. As for my title it is meant to be ironic...;)

You're a sad lad! But if you think such should determine the location of the county ground maybe you should go to your local library and investigate who Walsh Park honours! Or maybe google it like you have above! Your using of the above to justify the locating of a hurling stadium reinforces the folly of your argument as is embarrassing to most Western Gaels I should think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

;)

The fact is that Waterford has historically been a garrison town largely unsympathetic to nationalist and by natural proression GAA ideals. When the first soldiers marched into Waterford after the withdrawal of the Devonshires they were spat upon and jeered by crowds of local people. Waterford was regarded as a hotbed of recruitment in the 1st world war and was regarded as only second to Belfast in loyalty to the crown. Generations of loyalty to the King OR Queen .The great Dan Fraher a staunch republican was the oldest internee in Ballykinlar Co Down and it would be a great tribute to him to establish the ground in the heart of the county. As for my title it is meant to be ironic...;)
    So you'd base your spending of 20 million plus on some historical titbit, are you Michael Fingelton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

wellboytoo wrote: »
    So you'd base your spending of 20 million plus on some historical titbit, are you Michael Fingelton ?

Actually I was responding to the hysterical cry of a previous post . My basis for spending the money is based on logic , something sadly lacking in your argument

You're a sad lad! But if you think such should determine the location of the county ground maybe you should go to your local library and investigate who Walsh Park honours! Or maybe google it like you have above! Your using of the above to justify the locating of a hurling stadium reinforces the folly of your argument as is embarrassing to most Western Gaels I should think!

I am aware who he is , a successor of the great Dan . He was a minor enough County chairman but Fraher, who was Walsh’s immediate predecessor as Waterford County Board chairman, was also GAA trustee for many years, and, as guarantor, was mainly responsible for the purchase of ‘the Jones Road Field’, now Páirc an Chrócaigh, in 1913. Dónal Ó Fearachair from Touraneena was famous for his athletic and administrative feats (not to mention refereeing two All-Ireland finals on the same day in 1892) ever before he leased the Shandon lands from Captain Richard Curran and family. Is this enough for you? Fraher, with all due respect to Walsh who did play a relatively important part in the early to mid history of the GAA, was the political and sporting heavyweight..............

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

I am aware who he is , a successor of the great Dan . He was a minor enough County chairman but Fraher, who was Walsh’s immediate predecessor as Waterford County Board chairman, was also GAA trustee for many years, and, as guarantor, was mainly responsible for the purchase of ‘the Jones Road Field’, now Páirc an Chrócaigh, in 1913. Dónal Ó Fearachair from Touraneena was famous for his athletic and administrative feats (not to mention refereeing two All-Ireland finals on the same day in 1892) ever before he leased the Shandon lands from Captain Richard Curran and family. Is this enough for you? Fraher, with all due respect to Walsh who did play a relatively important part in the early to mid history of the GAA, was the political and sporting heavyweight..............[/QUOTE

As an "ironic revisionist" thought maybe you might be interested in his republican credentials since they seem to form the basis for your arguments! So maybe dig a little deeper!

Funny too you should mention Croke Park-by your twisted logic the stadium shouldn't be located on Jones' Road in Dublin-would be far better away from the Pale and the city of such imperialistic and aristocratic loyalties in our history! Population base and economic arguments must be irrelevant, let's examine it's history! "Shoneen" indeed!

• Advertisement

Actually I was responding to the hysterical cry of a previous post . My basis for spending the money is based on logic , something sadly lacking in your argument

You and your ilk are the reason this country is so fu ked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

You want it near the""main population"" What does that exactly mean ? It should be central full stop not located at the eastern most part of the county in a shoneen heartland.

With a comment such as this, you prove you have no interest in discussing more viable options other then dungarvan.

As for West been the GAA heartland of the county, three city and one county (10minutes from the city) teams contested the county championship semi finals this year. Also both mount sion and de la salle won football championships this year!

So I really can't see your argument there. They are great people and clubs in the West, and I do believe faher field should be kept as a smaller ground for West fixtures, county championship, inter county league games etc...

I think your problem is how closed minded you are, a massive problem which has split this county in half and has always fueled the West V East issue, and while people have your attitude the County will never progress.

Base a 30/40k stadium in a town with a population of 10k as opposed to a city with nearly 50k with another 20k surrounding it, surely then Croke Park should of been sold and built in Athlone, central to the county???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

;)

a new level of rubbish posted on here. not many facts.
    + its hard to imagine people even thinking this rubbish in this day. One point, you elude to fighting in WW1 as being some sort of traitor or non-nationalist if you did so, even though a lot of those done so for various reasons including feeding their families, those fortunate to return often went straight into republican groups, they were badly needed with their military training and even brought back a few guns from the battlefield. silly! This is not a debate on irrelevant historical hangups troglodytes may have but reasons why we dont have a proper stadium in the city and why action isnt being taken to remedy that.

For anyone into history it is not hidden that Waterford had a strong brittish connection but I do not understand what that has to do with the development of a GAA ground.

In that case should we cease all GAA activity in Northern Ireland as large areas are non republican?

Thankfully people's thoughts have evolved in this day and age in Ireland and thankfully most people aren't as closed minded as yourself.

I would much rather see you debate the issue as to what dungarvan has to offer for a developed ground rather then on childish historic terms (I'm more nationalist then you because I'm from dungarvan and thats why we should have a gaa ground).

On waterford citys front the pros are...

Large population,
    Accessibility (train station, airport)
    Regular bus services
    Road network (motorway, new city bypass)
    Possibilty of linking up with WIT where the national hurling & camogie development centre is based.
    Services provided to travelling supporters (more hotels, guesthouses, b&b's etc...)
    Large car parking areas for park and ride facilities.
    Regional hospital located near by
    Larger variety of sports in the city. (For a 30/40k stadium to be sustainable in county Waterford it can not soley depend on just GAA, it would have to look at also possibly holding, rugby, soccer etc which also have large followings in Waterford.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The_Shotz wrote: »

On waterford citys front the pros are...

Large population, the majority of which have never and will never go to a match. When was the last time you saw a full Walsh Park?
    Accessibility (train station, airport)irrelevant for the majority of people living in County Waterford
    Regular bus services
    Road network (motorway, new city bypass) Relevant for those living in Kilmeadan
    Possibilty of linking up with WIT where the national hurling & camogie development centre is based. I fear they've missed the boat on this one
    Services provided to travelling supporters (more hotels, guesthouses, b&b's etc...)don't know how relevant this is nowadays
    Large car parking areas for park and ride facilities large cost implications for this I would think
    Regional hospital located near by OK
    Larger variety of sports in the city. (For a 30/40k stadium to be sustainable in county Waterford it can not soley depend on just GAA, it would have to look at also possibly holding, rugby, soccer etc which also have large followings in Waterford.)
    I don't think a 30k/40k stadium would ever be sustainable

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    I don't think a 30k/40k stadium would ever be sustainable

Your most likely right. Waterford probably just needs 20/25k that way we can then look at home and way in the munster championship.

Which thankfully brings it back to the topic either invest in walsh park/faher field or explore the possibility of a new venue.

I think the work currently going on in Walsh Park at the moment will bring it to 18/19k while meeting health & safety standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Bit of a fantasy statement here, I think if the GAA ever did have a big coffer of money to spend in Waterford and sold Walsh park and dungarvan then the perfect location to build a new stadium would be the gas works site in the city.

Centre of town and might ignite a bit of life into the place on matchdays and when concerts are held etc.

[quotit="Gardner;87830260"]Bit of a fantasy statement here, I think if the GAA ever did have a big coffer of money to spend in Waterford and sold Walsh park and dungarvan then the perfect location to build a new stadium would be the gas works site in the city.

Centre of town and might ignite a bit of life into the place on matchdays and when concerts are held etc.[/quote]

Love It, i suggested that on an old post here before, i reckon it would involved buy johnstown business park as well.

Most peoples grips with it was parking and thats where a park and ride facility would come into place.

Never happen though....

Another I thought of in the centre would be the old brooks site opposite the peoples park, would also involved buying out the petrol station and units there.

City centre stadiums do work, for anyone that has been to Newcastle would know that, St James Park (50k+) is bang smack in the centre of Newcastle it would be like putting a ground beside city square in waterford.

All those ideas are just dreams I'm afraid could never see any of those happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Only have a passing interest in the GAA, but, having read this, it's like the old Germany. East vs West. Until they move past that they are at nothing. They could have sold both grounds during the boom and made a killing. A new stadium could have been built around Kilmac or somewhere.

They couldn't even agree on that. And now it's too late.

You want it near the""main population"" What does that exactly mean ? It should be central full stop not located at the eastern most part of the county in a shoneen heartland.

Ah, WTF. Seriously.

7upfree wrote: »
    Ah, WTF. Seriously.
    ;););););););)

7upfree wrote: »
    Only have a passing interest in the GAA, but, having read this, it's like the old Germany. East vs West. Until they move past that they are at nothing. They could have sold both grounds during the boom and made a killing. A new stadium could have been built around Kilmac or somewhere.

They couldn't even agree on that. And now it's too late.

Waterford is extreme east and Knockanore (shamrocks ) to the west. Dungarvan smack in the middle.....SIMPLES

.SIMPLES
    AH right Ted.

[quote="
    upfree;87833590"]Ah, WTF. Seriously.[/quote]

Got a good laugh out of that one .
    Good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Is the county board not running a massive deficept ,how are they to pay for this???

• Advertisement

Ye I beileve they are tom,

Maxpowers original point was asking, is there a plan in place to hopefully develop a ground in the future?

All the other talk was plans and ideas people would like to see.

Originally the Deise Draw was set up to fund the grounds but like all things I reckon that is servicing amd debt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

You want it near the""main population"" What does that exactly mean ? .
    This guy is obviously a troll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Going to pain the people of watreford city:p,
    but AFAIK the GAA headquarters only wanted fraher field developed and would not give the grant to the co board to install floodlights that time in fraher field as it is more central/neutral venue for munster U21 matches,
    that being said how much would it cost to even concrete the terraces:confused:

I believe your right tom, Martin Cullen gave a grant of 2.5 million I think to city funds for Walsh Park for flood lights and terracing I think and the County board refused to accept it as they wanted the funds split 50/50 between dungarvan and waterford so waterford lost out on the funding as it was only a city based project!!!

The_Shotz wrote: »
    I believe your right tom, Martin Cullen gave a grant of 2.5 million I think to city funds for Walsh Park for flood lights and terracing I think and the County board refused to accept it as they wanted the funds split 50/50 between dungarvan and waterford so waterford lost out on the funding as it was only a city based project!!!

Sweet Jesus.:rolleyes:

Speaking of redevelopment of GAA grounds, casement park got the go ahead to redevelopment the ground which will bring it a 38k fully seated stadium.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=206640

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I heard a rumour before that Carriganore was to be developed into a joint GAA stadium with use for Football/Rugby etc, a 30k all seater stadium but it never got passed planning stages or something like that anyway, would be good there as has good access

Advertisement