Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Home ISO

Options
  • 29-11-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Is there any legit place to get an ISO of XP Home? I have the legit key.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What version is it? SP1, SP2, SP3? What OEM provider is it or is it a generic OEM key? XP is a pain trying to find a working disc although someone may be able to help you out. Finding a version that will take your key might be a challenge though!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's an old Dell Demension 8300 Nick and I just want to do a clean install using the legit key from the COA sticker on the machine.

I wonder if Win 7 would run on it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It's an old Dell Demension 8300 Nick and I just want to do a clean install using the legit key from the COA sticker on the machine.

I wonder if Win 7 would run on it?

Possibly would depending on the age. Would Linux be an option? That's probably what I'd go for in this situation. XP being end of life next year and all that.
    The COA sticker should say the service pack version the key is for, if any (e.g: Windows XP Home SPX Dell, X being 1, 1a, 2 or 3). This does not mean that any SPX disc will work with this XP install though.

Nick

No mention of SP on sticker or anywhere else. It was manufactured in 2004 and Linux isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

No mention of SP on sticker or anywhere else. It was manufactured in 2004 and Linux isn't an option.

Why isn't Linux an option? Certainly going to run better.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Why isn't Linux an option? Certainly going to run better.

I know it would Nick, but the end users would have no hope I'm afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I know it would Nick, but the end users would have no hope I'm afraid :)
    Install Linux and give it a Windows skin. Invariably, the end users who couldn't not use Windows are also the ones who wouldn't notice if you replaced it with Linux and changed the background to the Bliss image.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Look out for SP1/SP1a media would be my advice so. Think SP2 came out mid '04 so it could be that as well. Are the end users aware Windows XP will be a security risk in less than a years time? With nasty viruses like Cryptolocker these days I don't think it's wise installing Windows XP for the non-techie people these days. Just my 2cs.
    As 28064212 says something like xubuntu with a bit of simple skinning will get it like Windows, and you can even get "Google" on it, i.e: Chrome :P

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Or even 7 without aero.

Advertisement