Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meters

Options
  • 29-11-2013 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen water meters being installed outside private residences in Galway yet?
    Do they have a timescale as to which areas will get meters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Oh, I noticed something odd... 3 council vans in my estate. Guys in yellow vests were placing a placard in the ground and taking a picture of each house. Immediately occurred to me that it might be to do with meters or property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I believe they're installing either the meters or the meter 'boxes' on an ad hoc basis.

For example, in our estate there was a leak outside someone's house. The Council repaired the leak and put a new box in while they were at it.

I haven't seen what's inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a fairly old link (August) but "Work on the installation of domestic water meters in Galway city and county is not expected to begin until early next year."
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/breaking-news/28177-galway-water-meters-to-be-installed-early-next-year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I saw a lad with a yellow bib outside my house looking at the ground. I asked him what he was at. He told me he was checking where the water mains was. So they are checking out where the mains are and marking them. I never asked him when they were starting to install them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I know this is forced on by the government but if we have to pay for the water they should at least make it drinkable :( I haven't drank it since the crypto breakout, they're still putting enough Chlorine in to be able to smell it when the tap is running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know this is forced on by the government but if we have to pay for the water they should at least make it drinkable :( I haven't drank it since the crypto breakout, they're still putting enough Chlorine in to be able to smell it when the tap is running.

Yeah, you have to at least let the tap run in the morning to get rid of some of the chlorine smell sometimes!

The chlorine smell is often worse after a spell of rain, and there's an occasional 'chemical' taste also that I find particularly offensive. On really bad days I can smell it in shower and bath water.

However, we have been told on good authority that "what we have now is probably the best treated water in the country".

Somewhat ungratefully, I find myself wondering whether the above statement means that we have the best "treated water" in the country or the "best-treated" water in the country.

AFAIK the source of the water has not changed, only the treatment. In which case, put a bit of chlorine in the wather, André.

The taste can be improved by leaving the water to stand in a jug for a while, or chilling it, or both. You can also try infused water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any other observations of meters being installed?

Bump.
    Any sightings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

There were guys digging up the ground outside a couple of houses on my street (Renmore area) earlier in the week. Same on the next street over. Didn't get a chance to see what they were doing specifically but I presumed it was something water related.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 TheBorg

I have a well but im sure they will eventually find a way to charge me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2844-no-city-water-meters-until-late-2015
    “Phase 1 of the metering project is due to commence in Galway City in Quarter 3, 2015, where there are approximately 24,000 meters to be installed. This phase is expected to be completed by mid-2016,” Irish Water said.

Observed a string of newly installed water meter covers embedded in the footpath along Shantalla Road earlier.
    manhole.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I subscribed to the city council text alerts. I've been getting a lot of texts about water disruptions the last few days covering St Helen St, Feenys Cross, Bushy Cross, Cherry Pk, Headford Rd, and City Centre. Not sure if it's related but that's a lot of disruptions in a short time span.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Observed a string of newly installed water meter covers embedded in the footpath along Shantalla Road earlier.
    manhole.png

There was a leak outside a neighbour's house a few weeks ago. Galway City Council turned out in force. At least three workers on site at any one time, each with his own van. Leak detectors, Kangos, barriers, signage, the whole kit and caboodle. Repeat visits and hours on-site over several days to get the job done. The final result was a leak-free pipe (presumably), a new water-meter housing and a very neat cement job.

I guess that's what we're paying for...

Advertisement