Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost my looks

• 29-11-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Please excuse the self-centeredness of this problem!

I'm 29, female and single. I'm generally happy with my life except this one issue which is really getting me down. Basically, I've always been thought of as good looking, since I was a young teenager. I was never conceited or vain, but never had to make too much effort with make-up etc and everyone always used to tell me I looked stunning. I never worried about my looks at all and concentrated on other things - college, sports, friends, etc. I kind of just took my looks for granted but at the same time felt fortunate to have them if you know what I mean? It was never a big deal for me.

I decided to do something a bit different a year ago and went off to volunteer in another country. I had a great time there but it was to become one of the worst decisions I ever made. I knew the water there was pretty bad but never worried too much about it - never drank or brushed my teeth with it. I noticed my skin got very dry after showers but didn't worry too much about it. I came home a few weeks ago and received a few comments about how much older I looked. I didn't take them too seriously until I saw some pictures from a night out on Facebook. I have awful skin now - acne, blackheads and greasy, but worse, I have loads of wrinkles as well, in my forehead, under my eyes and between mouth and nose. I seriously couldn't believe it. I opened a pic from this time last year and I had perfect skin and not a wrinkle in sight. I never imagined I'd even have to think about wrinkles at my age. I literally cried for about 3 hours.

I know this sounds really vain, but I promise I'm not. I'm just devastated that the decision to take a year out has had such a permanent effect on my looks. If I look like this at not even 30, how will I look at 40? I just wish I could turn back time and never have ever gone abroad. I don't even see how this could possibly be fixed - I went to my doctor and he suggested fillers and Botox - I'm not even 30! And those are only temporary measures. I'm so down and I feel so angry with myself that I didn't consider the impact of that water on my skin and I just can't come to terms with going from young and pretty to haggard looking with horrible skin in a year. Help.

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I dont think it was the water that damaged your skin to be honest, I'd be more inclined to think that not washing as often, maybe being in a drier climate left your skin in a bad state. Was it a hot country? if so, if you were not religious about keeping your face in the shade and using good sunscreen constantly, it would have also contributed.

The other thing to note is that we all start to get a wrinkle around that age. Aged 29 I reveled in the fact I constantly got asked for ID, Bus drivers mistakenly charged me under-16 fare. I didn't have a single wrinkle. Then almost overnight, I got a few. But not may since, and I'm 38 now. I might have gotten one or two tiny ones, since, but barely noticeable. So it might be like that for you too.

My sisters were the same, babyface until they hit thirty and then a wrinkle or two and that's all.

Start a good skin regime, and it will look a lot better, also, consider changing your makeup if you use it. Some heavier liquids can crease badly, accentuating any lines and making you look older. I find a bit of concealer and tinted moisturiser with a small dusting of powder is a better result. And I always ask for a sample before I buy the foundation to try it for a few goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Well done on going abroad - brave thing to do and I'm jealous.

Go to a really good beauty salon. As in a spa one. Your skin is still under it all. Maybe some of those really good exfoliating thingies will help - you know the ones you get in the salt baths in Turkey.

I'd talk to the spa people first before considering anything else first.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Are they actual wrinkles or dehydration lines? There's a difference and you can 'fix' the latter with a good moisturiser and diet and avoid Botox. Without hijacking the thread, can anyone recommend a good facial in dublin city centre? Someone who is good at diagnosing skin type and has seen real results which I presume is only seen after a course if treatments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

Ah, the curse of being a beautiful young person! Less prepared in dealing with the ravages of time. Being good looking is undoubtedly a great thing, but most people don't fit the common definition of 'stunning' anyway... so is it really such a big deal, when you get down to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

just go buy some boots beauty serum for the next 3 or 4 months , i was sick for a few years and had got worn out by it all and some one said to me to use that product. its well worth using a good beauty serum , its amazing the difference in two months,dont mind botox and fillers . there are some amazing creams that will bring back a youthfull look.
    i think you should just try , new skin regime and have a chat with some on line beauty blogs or along that lines , by next spring you will be beaming again , dont worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, I didn't get LOADS of sun there, to be honest. I have quite oily skin (well...I did) and I'm not that pale, but still used a high factor SPF at the beach or any time I had any prolonged exposure to the sun. I had a vitamin D deficiency in Ireland, so was told by my GP *not* to slather on the sunscreen while abroad. You just can't win, can you?

I don't really wear foundation/concealer except for when I go out for a special night out. I did used to use liquid foundation like Rimmel but have noticed that it does actually accentuate wrinkles now and makes me look even more haggard. Problem is, I now have quite bad acne which I never had before, so am self conscious about walking around with it all on show. I've held off so far hoping my skin would improve but perhaps I should try some products to cover it a bit.

I have been to a spa and had a facial but to be honest I can't really see much difference. The girl in the spa said facials should help a lot, but they have to say that, don't they? I think they are actual wrinkles - I can feel the creases on my forehead and also I have massive deep creases between nose and mouth. They were tiny barely noticeable wrinkles a few months before I left to come home (I thought my skin was just a bit dry and started moisturising more) but now they're really bad. The girl in the spa said they look like they are from sleeping on my side and my cheeks squashing against the pillow (I alternate between left and right) but that the dry skin probably contributed to it.

I know it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things but it's just scary that I may not be able to reverse the 10 years I seem to have aged in the last 12 months. I've also noticed I'm not getting approached nearly as much when I'm out and that I no longer get IDed anywhere...I feel ancient :(

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Something similar happened to me. I lived in the desert for a year and I came home with dreadful acne and sun damage because my skin reacted badly to the sun, sand, suncream, and sweat. I went to the doctor too who told me there was nothing he could do. So I went to a beauty salon and got advice about a good skincare routine and stuck to it. It's working out for me, my skin is almost flawless. It took 4 months for the acne to disappear and a bit longer for the noticeable sun damage to calm down. I also take starflower oil and evening primrose oil capsules which seem to help.

may be it will get back sinse it's water related. may be when you use normal water your skin will become like it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

doesnt everyone have to get used to not being good looking as they grow older?
    I know i do....
    Was an awful looking teenager, looked good during sollege (good time to look good! :) ) and now looking older in thirties
    have to deal with it tbf, im not 21 any more - if your looks defined you then you need to develop beyond that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I would see gp or dermatologist about acne.in my experience the only way to clear up acne is through prescribed medication.

As for wrinkles and sun damage I think serums are the way to go to tackle these.i think you have to invest in the more expensive brands to see results.chanel are my favourite for serum and moisturiser, but they will set you back €70 each.

I see alpha-h liquid gold recommended a lot on beauty blogs for the sort of damage your speaking about.once again it's pricey but meant to be effective.

I wouldn't even bother with facials to be honest,you would be better of getting a skin peel to refresh your skin. I get one every 6 months in Aurelia in limerick.im 31 with spot prone skin,but wrinkles free.

Lastly,I wouldn't worry that much about looking older.i think women look so much better with maturity then they do at 18. One thing that older women have is a sense of self,wisdom and confidence that you can't even fake when your 18. It is absolutely amazing you spent a year out abroad volunteering in another country!it says so much about you and your character!you should have pride in yourself for doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not a dig at you OP, but I really hate when people go on about losing their looks.

People can be attractive and beautiful at any age (look at Helen Mirren for example) and it is all about confidence and your "aura" if that makes sense.

I am not vain, but now into my forties and single (yuk) I decided a couple of years ago that I was not happy with my weight and lost a couple of stone. I looked better but not that different, but the difference it made to my confidence was unreal and that was what shone through.

If you can afford the expensive creams and serums (Estee Lauder Advanced Night repair is great) then go for it!

When I was younger, I did not realise I was beautiful. Now I look in the mirror in the morning, see a couple of lines, but see my striking eyes, good teeth nice smile and go, YES! and go face the world;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Design78

I got badly dehydrated a few years ago and literally in the space of a week got really bad lines around my eyes, used good creams but more importantly rehydrated through diet & rehydration salts ect and they faded over the coming months.
    I know how you feel, I got a fright every time I looked in the mirror. It was such a sudden change & I felt like I had aged 10 years in 10 days.

The problem is that I'm not 'older'. I wouldn't mind being 39 or 49 and having this problem, but I look way, way older than I am, that's the issue. A year ago my skin was perfect and I looked like a young, healthy 20 something and now I look in my late thirties at least. So the people in their thirties and forties posting about 'aging' are missing the point and not being fair. It's not even really normal aging - I just ruined my skin from the year abroad. Ironically my lack of vanity probably caused it - I wasn't really spending much time in front of the mirror or looking after my skin - I just assumed it would be grand and got on with other things.

I will see someone about my acne. Awful luck that I need to spend money on dermatologists because I'm absolutely broke from my year out. But I'll have to try to find the money from somewhere.

I will try a serum for the wrinkles but they really are very deep. My friend who used to be a beautician reckons they are from sleeping on my side - I used to get these lines but they'd spring back during the day. I guess because of the dryness of my skin, they stopped springing back and are now permanent. The ones between my nose and mouth are noticeably much deeper in the mornings when I wake up, so I'd imagine they're from repeated side-sleeping. It's just so frustrating that I didn't notice sooner so I could take action, but I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Are you drinking enough water? I wouldn't say it was the water itself over there that caused, just the fact that you were probably drinking a lot less. Increasing your fluid intake might help, it certainly won't do any harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

OP, I'm 29 and in the last year or so I have seen signs of ageing for the first time- nothing drastic but enough for me to notice it and be a bit annoyed. What I have realised though is that I'm just at a point where I can't rely on my skin to bounce back from shoddy treatment and that I may now have to invest a bit of time and effort into it! I've been making a point of taking care of my skin more in recent months and I do notice a massive difference in terms of plumpness and radiance. You don't need Botox or fillers, but learn about the structure of the skin and address its needs first. Hydration is so important. What my regime ( I use the term loosely) is currently is:

Morning-
    splash water on face, no cleanser needed
    Boots Protect & Perfect serum
    Good sunscreen (La Roche Posay factor 50)
    Usual makeup

Night-
    Rich cleanser used with muslin cloth (Nip & Fix do a good one that can also be used as a moisture mask, big pot and lasts ages. It takes off all makeup but without harsh soap based cleaner. My skin looks plump and moisturised after this)
    Moisturiser (I use l'oreal laser renew)

Extras:
    St Ives apricot scrub twice a week
    Sanctuary Therapists Secret facial oil- this is fab and so multiple-purpose. I sometimes use it as a moisturiser on its own if I'm just round the house, otherwise pop a drop or two in my sunscreen.

This routine has itself made a massive difference, but on top of that I read that cod liver oil capsules were the business for moisturising skin from the inside out and so started taking one a day. Honestly, I notice a difference if I forget for a few days. The first I realised they were doing anything was that the backs of my hands looked less lined! Sounds mad, but they work.

Usual advice on top of that- sunscreen, drink water, avoid sugar and alcohol where possible.

It's a shock OP and it's not a shallow thing to feel upset when you experience physical changes. All it means is that you've got to learn a new way to look after your skin and your still young enough for a change in regime to make a huge difference, as well as future-proof your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Op expensive serums are going to do nothing. A) there is no active ingredients in them that can help your skin B) if they did have active ingredients that can't get through the thickness of the skin.

The only cream that can get through the skin is glycolic acid and retin a

My mother and I use this daily
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000052YM7/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1385807781&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

She has gradually started to shallower Lines but her she is much clearer. I have haven't got a single spot with it in 3 months. Glycolic acid skins deep within the skin causing it to break down and produce newer skin quicker getting rid of dead skin and produce thicker new layer( that's how it gets rid of wrinkles). It's slightly better than retin a as softer on the skin but pretty much does the same thing.

It's only just off patent but was/ still is used to by chemical peels with dermatologists

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Creme de la Mer is fantastic for 'weathered' skin OP (IMHO).. I got a tub of it as a christmas prezzie last year and I swear by it now!

I saw a marked difference in my skin after only a few uses. Bit pricey though.. about €130 for a 30ml tub but you'd only use it once or twice a week imho..

I only know of 2 places in Dublin that sells it.. Harvey Nichols or The loop at Dublin Airport.

Also, what about some microdermabrasion to give you a head start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

hfallada wrote: »
    Op expensive serums are going to do nothing. A) there is no active ingredients in them that can help your skin B) if they did have active ingredients that can't get through the thickness of the skin.

The only cream that can get through the skin is glycolic acid and retin a

My mother and I use this daily
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000052YM7/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1385807781&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

She has gradually started to shallower Lines but her she is much clearer. I have haven't got a single spot with it in 3 months. Glycolic acid skins deep within the skin causing it to break down and produce newer skin quicker getting rid of dead skin and produce thicker new layer( that's how it gets rid of wrinkles). It's slightly better than retin a as softer on the skin but pretty much does the same thing.

It's only just off patent but was/ still is used to by chemical peels with dermatologists

OP your oily skin could be what's causing the blackheads, I can second what hfallada says about retin a, worked wonders for me with my oily skin that was causing blackheads. I don't know about other creams and lotions but the sleeping on your side causing wrinkles thing is a bit weird tbh. Drinking plenty of water will help detox and clear your skin too, bringing back some of it's natural elasticity.

(when I say I have oily skin, I mean literally like water off a ducks back oily!)

Also it was my GP at the time used a blackhead remover to squeeze out the blackheads, but a beautician should be able to do that for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Here is a WikiHow article on the subject: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Deep-Facial-Wrinkles

I also highly highly recommend Udo's oil for improved skin (you eat it stirred into soup or yoghurts).

Vichy Normaderm is very popular with adult women with acne. It's meant to be very good.

Look OP, 30 was the year ageing hit me. It's the year it hit all my friends. Some of us got wrinkles overnight, some of us got dark circles that meant we look tired 24/7....but the good news is that at 39 I don't look all that different from 30.

But thats cos after 30 I started to spend a serious amount of time in Boots. I'm vain, I'm a good looking woman, and whilst I don't mind looking my age, REFUSE to look a sh!t version of my age!

But you have to kinda "get into it" if you know what I mean. Try to enjoy trying out new products. Some will make you look worse, but you discard those pronto and try the next one. It's almost like a game. But always wear an spf - it really slows things down. I like the Olay complete spf30.

And make up becomes very important. They DO make you look a lot better, when you find the right one. It doesn't sound like bare-faced is working for you anymore, so go in and get poking around.

The best cheap concealer is the Collection 2000 Lasting Finish. It's amazing. A mattifying primer (again, loads on the makeup stands - I think #17 have one) will keep things looking good under foundation. As I said, try to get into it.

You seem to think 30 is too young. Nope, it's not. You just have to treat it like a challenge rather than a curse. Cos I took on the challenge and I look pretty good! My skin is good now, I can go barefaced. But that took work. And tbh, most of the time I look barefaced but I'm really not. Invisible light-reflecting concealer pen under the eyes, down the sides of the nose and between the brows making me look fresher than I really look. But if ppl wanna think I'm barefaced thats fine! ;p

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Just an alternative suggestion to all the creams and potions -

Is it possible OP that when you were away your general appearance wasn't that important, in that you were for more interested in having a good time than peering at every wrinkle or spot on your face. We all start to age around 30 and maybe being back home and a comment about your appearance has set you on edge? From reading your description you almost make it sound like you look like a 50 year old women, I somehow doubt that is that case.

Maybe I'm coming from a different position in that I never had the looks to lose in the first place, but you really shouldn't tie up so much of your self in the wrinkles in your skin because at some stage time will catch up. I'm not saying stop taking care of yourself - eat well, exercise, find good beauty products that work for you - but try not and get to obsessed over it. Your own self belief, personality and attitude in life are far more important. Sorry if that is a bit clichéd but sitting 10 years older than you are that's what I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Have you asked your GP about the acne? It may be hormonal changes that are causing it, if so that can probably be sorted out with some medication.
    It's probably inevitable that at some stage in our lives we look in the mirror and go oh no! You wouldn't have been seeing yourself in a mirror as much while you were away so you are noticing a year of change that you would be going through anyway.
    Also are you finding the transition from travelling to being back home difficult? When I came back from a year away (I was 31) I found it very hard to settle and almost immediately noticed that I had some grey hair for the first time. I felt much older too from being away from 'normal life' and then being thrust back into it. Maybe you are overestimating how much older you look because you are a bit all over the place?

• Administrators Posts: 14,473 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think this thread is more suited to the Beauty Forum. As unregistered posting is not available in the Beauty Forum, OP you will either have to log in, or register an account if you wish to reply on thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

not vain,i would suggest going to a qualified dermatologist in the centre of the city,who are successful and have returning customers,preferabbly a dermatologist who has been reccomended also.

There is no point messing around with creams and potions and lotions if you dont know whether they are making the problem worse or better.

By all means keep a beauty routine,cleanse tone and moisturise regardless,but don't get your hopes up.

See a dermatolgist or visit your GP and get a referral. I heard micro dermabrasion and laser is good for acne and skin problems that wont budge.

You need to see a skin specialist,theres no point on whining about it,get the money saved up and see someone go for a few treatments and decide if they are working for you or not.

This could take a lot of money out of your pocket(i know ive been there)i have had skin problems and was reccomended skin treatments by a dermatologist that didnt work.

I in the end spent a lot of money and saw no results,you could be lucky or unlucky make sure you check these dermatologists out for yourself, the rule is(i was told by a qualified skin specialist)if you dont see results or even a small improvement within 4 treatments dont go back,and look for someone who is honest and will tell you if treatment works or not.

And lastly looks i know this sounds very cliche but looks are not everything,you need to find someone who will love you for who you are.Not what you look like.

I know looks can help in the dating department but thats only short term,chemistry and lasting relationships is a different ball game altogether..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

At the risk of being shot, but hopefully be of some little benefit to the OP. Moisturiser will not re-hydrate skin, for that you'll need to drink more water.

Topical creams such as retin a help but thats limited really,moisturisers dont rehydrate the skin from the inside out,they may make the surface appear more hydrated but its not really doing much for your skin.

What you need is a good diet full of fruit and veg and stay away from alcohol mainly.

Drinking water is the only way to rehydrate yourself,i would say your body and face is still in a little bit of a state of shock from being out in harsh hot conditions full of searing sunlight,how long were you there a year or what?

I'd say your body is recovering from all that climate change,pale skins are not naturally meant to be in the hot weather..

Darker skins are a lot more weather proof in the sun,which is why you dont see them shrivell up in the first bit of harsh sunlight..

Were like vampires lol..Well thats the way i think of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ok-the way I see it OP is you've 2 options

Option 1 for 4-6 weeks:

- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Bottle in hand at all times.
    - For the day, invest in a good moisturiser with SPF (Im always on here singing the praises of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour moisturiser cream. Its e32 at the mo in debenhams (and you get e5 on your debs card). I have combination skin too.
    - Exfoliate (around your nose/chin ONLY) once a week. Anymore will make those areas oilier. I actually use the exoliating gloves and a spot fighting product I picked up in pharmacy for e4.
    - For the night (and after exfoiliating), apply a good serum.
    - Even if you are just hanging around the house, on with the serum
    - Eat plenty fruit/veg
    - Oily fish
    - Evening primrose oil capsules/starflower (helps the hormones). As someone else suggested, cod liver oil.
    - At night time, if your face is getting creased cause of the pillow, order/buy a silk pillow case.
    - Exercise

Option 2: Go to see a dermatologist/cosmetic doctor.

Ok-the way I see it OP is you've 2 options

Option 1 for 4-6 weeks:

- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Bottle in hand at all times.
    - For the day, invest in a good moisturiser with SPF (Im always on here singing the praises of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour moisturiser cream. Its e32 at the mo in debenhams (and you get e5 on your debs card). I have combination skin too.
    - Exfoliate (around your nose/chin ONLY) once a week. Anymore will make those areas oilier. I actually use the exoliating gloves and a spot fighting product I picked up in pharmacy for e4.
    - For the night (and after exfoiliating), apply a good serum.
    - Even if you are just hanging around the house, on with the serum
    - Eat plenty fruit/veg
    - Oily fish
    - Evening primrose oil capsules/starflower (helps the hormones). As someone else suggested, cod liver oil.
    - At night time, if your face is getting creased cause of the pillow, order/buy a silk pillow case.

Option 2: Go to see a dermatologist/cosmetic doctor.

Dellas i think she can do both options,obviously if she prefers strictly the natural route good for her,but some acne is very hard to shift.

I had a brother who had vicous acne in his teens early 20's and he tried diet,everything nothing worked,he even took those acne pills that cleared it up,but then he was left with suicidal depression so he went off those pills on advice of an american doctor who was in ireland at the time.Not a lot of doctors would advise their patients to go off a drug,drugs are business to them..

Anyway long story short he went for laser treatments and his skin cleared up no end,he got microdermabrasion as well and the treatments allieviated the acne somewhat.
    In the end he didnt have to go back after treatments,it just cleared up on its own..
    So he was lucky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

notvain wrote: »
    My friend who used to be a beautician reckons they are from sleeping on my side - I used to get these lines but they'd spring back during the day. I guess because of the dryness of my skin, they stopped springing back and are now permanent. The ones between my nose and mouth are noticeably much deeper in the mornings when I wake up, so I'd imagine they're from repeated side-sleeping. It's just so frustrating that I didn't notice sooner so I could take action, but I didn't.

I would stop listening to your beautician friend if I was you. I haven't heared anything about getting very deep lines from sleeping on your side!That sounds a bit crazy to me. I find that beautician's, unless they are at the top of their game, really don't know that much about serious skin complaints.

Go to your gp, and get referral to dermatologist. You will be glad you did.

• Advertisement

@hotbabe.

She said she is broke. The first option will let her see if it is just a good skincare regimen and routine she needs.

or, after trying the above if she does indeed need to break out the big bucks and go to a dematologist.

Its like a control. She'll know after 4-6 weeks, that the diet/exercise/skin regime isnt working.

Its too easy to just say "go to a doctor". Albeit yes, some people do need to, after trying other avenues.

Dellas..I didnt realise money was the issue here,I hope she can clear it up with a little diet and excercise..

I wish her the best of luck with it..

You obviously didnt read her posts then.

She says she is broke.

And Id rather not see someone get pumped full of fillers etc if all she needs is a good eating/drinking/exercise routine.

She says she is broke.

And Id rather not see someone get pumped full of fillers etc if all she needs is a good eating/drinking/exercise routine.

I did read one of her posts. And i wasnt suggesting fillers,i was suggesting laser(which is a more permanent option)and some microdermabrasion..

I never once suggested stuffing her like a chicken fillet. Take that back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

dellas1979 wrote: »

She says she is broke.

It was the OP dellas mentioned that her own doctor advised her to get botox -

notvain wrote: »
    I went to my doctor and he suggested fillers and Botox

I really have to wonder what sort of advice the OP is getting when her doctor tells her to get fillers, and her friend who's an ex-beautician is telling her that facial wrinkles are from lying on her side??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd personally start with a decent skin care routine, and see how your skin reacts to that first of all. Your skin cannot be oily and dry both at the same time. It can be oily and dehydrated but not oily and dry.

Treat the problem (dehydration) before the type of skin.

If your dehydrated what would you need to do?

1. Stop using anything with alcohol on your skin, cut out makeup wipes/baby wipes on your skin. Cleanse and tone properly.

2. Increase your intake of water. You should be getting at least 2litres a day but remember your organs ect will get the water before anywhere else, your skin in the last place to show rehydration.

3. Cut out coffee and fizzy drinks (including diet) and alcohol. I can always tell by my skin if I've drank something I shouldn't have. If you must have your coffee, try limit it and for every cup you drink have a glass of water.

4. Increase your fruit and vegetables, focusing more so on vegetables. Fruit has a lot of natural sugars so while its better than a bag of crisps, have it in moderation. You can never have too much veg though.

5. Increase your intake of both vitamin a and vitamin e. This helps the overall condition of your skin.

6. Try stay out (or at least protect yourself) of artificial heat/air. I find the heating in the car or air con at work can drive skin mad.

7. You can try a moisturiser with a humectant in it, this draws moisture from the air and helps bring it to your skin.

For your acne.

1. Where is it? A lot of acne can be hormonal, especially if its around the chin/jawline. Would you consider going on the pill to help clear it? Might be an option to discuss with your doctor.

2. Don't pick at it or pop it obviously. It may scar and spread bacteria.

3. Be careful with products as you don't want to aggravate it further.

Oily skin.
    1. If its very congested with blackheads and provided you don't have sensitive skin you could try steaming your face. Hold it over a bowl of steam for 6-8 minutes, it'll open your pores, then you could use a gentle scrub with little particles in it. Dior does a nice one, as does dermalogica, but you could find a nice cheaper one in boots, just make sure again it's not astringent.

Use this once or twice a week, gauage how your skin reacts to it. If its reacting to it badly at twice a week, knock it back to one. But if your skin is oily, and you're not using an astringent then twice a week should be okay.

2. Cleanse and deep cleanse twice a day. Make sure all product is removed from skin, and use a toner (or cold water) just make sure your pores are closed.

3. Use a moisturiser for oily skin. A lot of people make the mistake of going for a dry skin one for some reason, don't make that mistake.

4. If its bright outside, you need an SPF. SPF doesn't last the entire day either so reapply. Even if its in winter and its raining. If its bright, put it on.

5. You could use a mask with kaolin in it once a week, although avoid if you have sensitive skin.

6. Are you using a night cream? If not - you should.

Also don't bring your moisturiser up over your cheek bones the skin is thinner and it can look overloaded.

It would do no harm getting a silk pillow case, I've heard that before however I've no idea how true it is.

If none of that works, (and it should) you could try electrical treatments during facials. Ill bullet point.
    1. High frequency will dry up acne spots.
    2. Micro current helps to stimulate collegen and elastin production.
    3. Faradic helps strengthen facial muscles (like slendertone for your face)
    4. Galvanic may be good for your oilyness.

Salons have different fancy names on their machines depending on the skin care range they work with but that's the basic breakdown of the method each machine may use so research yourself and see if one may suit you.

Then you're looking at more extreme options.
    Facial Rejuvination (IPL)
    Micro Needling
    Chemical peels

Then you could try the fillers and shots but tbh it seems very extreme and Botox and fillers will not help the overall condition of your skin.

Hope some of that helps and sorry for long post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

nv, I am curious as regards to the dietary changes that you may have experienced during your time away. I am guessing that fresh foods could have been in short supply, and perhaps less protein as well. These can have a major impact, and a good diet will likely reverse most of this trauma to your body/skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Honestly op without seeing your skin and being professionals in the area, nobody here can give you any advice worth taking. You need to see a specialist that can diagnose exactly what the issue is and how to treat it accordingly. Treatment will need to be monitored and tweaked based on your own skin/environment/lifestyle. We can all recommend lotions and potions we've used but if your skin is having issues it may make things worse. A better diet and plenty of water (not excessive either) cant do much harm but if the issues with your skin are external then its not gonna clear it. In order to treat it successfully you need to identify the actual physical issue and the cause of it and none of us can do that without examining it up close.
    I understand that it costs but its better than spending a tonne on creams and serums and washes. If you know what it is you can explore pocket friendly treatments and you can be confident that they'll work as opposed to taking a stab in the dark and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I feel for you OP, but it does seem to be the comments that have really hurt you the most. How long have you been back? If not long then things should return to pretty much what they were after a year in a very different environment it may have taken its toll.

Aloe vera gel is very good, I buy a plant and use it straight from it. I hope things get back to normal and you get your confidence back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 macca.86

Oh you poor thing! This isn't vain. Everybody cares about their looks to some degree. I am a Beautician and I can suggest a few things. Firstly drink loads of water! I cannot stress this enough. Being dehydrated really can cause lines on the skin. Try herbal teas as a way to mix it up. They are also great for detoxing which has a positive effect on your skin, especially Pur-eh tea. Add some things into your diet that are good for the skin. (Fresh fruit and veg, nuts especially almonds and brazil nuts, oily fish). Have a deeply hydrating facial and perhaps some microdermabrasion. This is a non surgical, deep exfoliating facial. It clears the surface layers of skin leaving you with baby soft skin. It should help the lines and acne. Buy some good quality skin care products and get into a routine for day and night. Cleanse, Tone, oil, Moisturise, Eye cream. You don't have to spend a fortune either. Liz Earle is and excellent range that you can buy online. The Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser is amazing!! Trust me! Buy a good cream foundation that wont emphasise lines and wrinkles. It wont fix them but it will do your confidence the world of good when you see a picture of yourself looking fab! Go into a good chemist that has some higher end makeups and ask for their help. Use a cream blusher and a good cream highlighter to give your skin a healthy glow. I hope this helps a little. Please dont go down the path of fillers or botox just yet as your not even home long and who knows if your skin wont get back to itself. Travelling can take its toll and sometimes your body just needs to balance itself out again. The different climate, water etc was a shock to your system. Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Can I ask you how is your diet, OP? I spend 8 Euro on my moisturiser (Nivea Q10 which also has an spf in it) and use gentle natural soap to wash it but I have decent skin because I eat well, don't smoke and don't go OTT on alcohol very often. Make sure you have fruit, veg, seeds, nuts, oily fish and eggs in your diet and get enough water.

Personally I think all these creams are a waste of time if you aren't eating right. I know someone here who spends a lot of money on creams but doesn't eat enough nutritious food and wonders why her skin is aging. I think diet really is key.

And you're not vain for thinking this way. Sounds like you're more than simply complaining about the aging process, which is inevitable for all of us. I wouldn't stress about not being IDed though; very few people get IDed at your age. Good luck, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 3mma

OP, make an appointment to see Elaine Butler Doolin in Donnybrook. She is Ireland's best facialist (Google her) and after 2 years of struggling with my skin she has it back on track after 3 sessions. I've been getting her meso vytal treatment which is amazing. The salon is Bespoke Beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

I know that you said that you're broke at the moment, but an excellent laser treatment is Fraxel. Great for scarring, sun damage and anti-aging. But pricey!
    Might be worth saving towards in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NotVain

Thanks for the advice...I'm overwhelmed at how many people have taken the time to help me!

Some people have expressed shock that my GP advised fillers etc - I don't think you guys get how bad it is. I've tried to upload a pic on Flickr to show you (not sure if it'll work...really bad with the internet).

The worst of it is around my eyes and on my forehead but don't want to put my whole face on so showing the bottom of face...you can see some acne on my left cheek (this has got much much better since I got back from abroad) and the massive line at the side of my mouth...see how much worse it is on one side than the other? That's why my beautician friend reckons it could be from sleeping...and me not realising I had dry skin, I didn't moisturise the hell out of it like I should have. I vagely remember that I used to get it just in the mornings but it would 'fall out' during the day and now it seems to be permanent :( I don't think I'm overreacting - it's really, really deep. A year ago I had nothing there at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110471884@N04/

I'm so miserable about it, seriously. I was hoping people would tell me it would be grand but everyone I've seen in real life has gone 'not much you can do except botox/fillers' :(

there has been so much support and advice on this topic, I would like to know now that 5 days has passed what have you done OP ?
    have you started a clean , tone and moisturise every morning and evening ?
    have you started to drink more water daily ?

AmberAmber wrote: »
    there has been so much support and advice on this topic, I would like to know now that 5 days has passed what have you done OP ?
    have you started a clean , tone and moisturise every morning and evening ?
    have you started to drink more water daily ?

I have been doing all these things. I have a new oil free moisturiser, serum and am drinking lots of water. TBH the line by my mouth has gotten worse - I think I might be allergic to the serum. There's loads of irritation there now and the cheek is even more raised, making the line look even deeper. I'm drinking water all day long as well as green tea.

well doing some things is great , well done. as far as getting worse it may be that your looking at it more. it wont be over night , it may take some time to see progress. I have even upped my daily regime too on the back of your post.
    hope you can find happiness .

NotVain wrote: »
    I have been doing all these things. I have a new oil free moisturiser, serum and am drinking lots of water. TBH the line by my mouth has gotten worse - I think I might be allergic to the serum. There's loads of irritation there now and the cheek is even more raised, making the line look even deeper. I'm drinking water all day long as well as green tea.

Seriously, don't go overboard on the water! Around 7 or 8 glasses is plenty. You get water from your diet as well. There is no advantage to gulping down so much water that you're running to the loo every two minutes.

As for the oil, sometimes if your skin is lacking oil it will actually produce extra oil/sebum which can cause acne so by avoiding oils etc you might be exasperating the issue. The oil cleansing method is actually recommended sometimes for this very reason.

This is why you need to see a specialist to actually know what's causing it. You can't treat it without knowing the cause and none of us can help with that. Please just get a professional opinion op. Your money is better spent on a proper consultation than on creams and serums that may or may not work for you. You're more than likely just going to aggravate your skin by chopping and changing. Treatment requires time for your skin to go through cycles and adjust and it needs to be evaluated properly if its causing you this much concern.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Tasden wrote: »
    The oil cleansing method is actually recommended sometimes for this very reason.

This is why you need to see a specialist to actually know what's causing it. You can't treat it without knowing the cause and none of us can help with that. Please just get a professional opinion op. Your money is better spent on a proper consultation than on creams and serums that may or may not work for you. You're more than likely just going to aggravate your skin by chopping and changing. Treatment requires time for your skin to go through cycles and adjust and it needs to be evaluated properly if its causing you this much concern.

Good advice.. you could give yourself a bad dose of dermatitis from using too many different products on your skin.. keep it simple.

xzanti wrote: »
    Good advice.. you could give yourself a bad dose of dermatitis from using too many different products on your skin.. keep it simple.

Didn't think I was doing too much...just normal skincare routine plus serum! Just feeling so desperate...that line by my mouth is getting worse by the day and I feel like I have to do something.

I went to see a dermotologist today and he started talking about fillers...I don't want to do that at my age. He seemed baffled as to why my skin is as bad as it is. Not much help.

NotVain wrote: »
    Didn't think I was doing too much...just normal skincare routine plus serum! Just feeling so desperate...that line by my mouth is getting worse by the day and I feel like I have to do something.

I went to see a dermotologist today and he started talking about fillers...I don't want to do that at my age. He seemed baffled as to why my skin is as bad as it is. Not much help.

The serum is full of new ingredients for your skin. If it wasn't much new then it wouldn't do anything- good or bad.

If you've been told by two professionals that the only realistic option is fillers then unfortunately that probably is the only (or at least best) option that will work. I can't see two professionals giving the same- and such drastic- opinion unless there was some truth to it. That's not to say there isn't alternatives or less drastic ways to make improvements and by all means ignore their advice or search other avenues. But I think its looking like fillers are what are needed to "cure" it.

The fillers however are only for the lines. Did he discuss the acne? I'd just worry that too much messing around with skincare will flare up the acne. I'd honestly get a plan for the acne from a specialist and stick to it otherwise I'm worried you're gonna flare it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement