Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost my looks

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm afraid if your dermatologist said you need fillers then there is not much other options that would really be viable.

There's no harm in the healthy eating and good skin care routine, it may prevent more damage.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NotVain

I went for another facial today. I have decided to give these a try as I know other people have had dramatic results with them. Even if they can't sort out the wrinkles, they could help the acne.

I don't know who to believe, to be honest. The girl who does my facials reckons my face looks totally grand and the lines aren't that bad and could well be got rid off with facials/staying hydrated. But she would say that because she wants to sell the facials. The guy who does chemical peels and fillers is telling me I need those but of course he would because he wants to sell them.

I've asked a couple of family members and they reckon I'm being really vain. My sister says I look the same as always and you can only see the lines in a certain light. My mam says I should just be grateful I have the looks I do and I'm not Katie Piper or someone else who is badly disfigured.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's not an issue, it's just hard to accept because it was so preventable and has come on so quickly :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

NotVain...That dermatologist didn't sound right..Very few dermatologists worth their salt will bang on about fillers first and will deal with the state of your skin first and foremost i wouldnt go back to that dermatologist if i were you..steer clear of that person..

What i would reccommend from what i have heard of you is 1. microdermabrasion 2. laser 3. diet and excercise 4. plenty of sleep on a silk pillow 5. some facials..

Hi guys

Just a little update.

I have had a few facials and will continue weekly facials for the next few weeks. I have also started using Murad products - the cleanser and the dietary supplements. Murad is what the beauty therapists who do my facials use and they recommended that I use the products at home as well. They are really pricey and can't afford them long term but will see what happens.

I'm still sad about the state of my skin. I've been taking photos every day just to see the progression and my skin overall looks alright now but that one nasolabial fold is horrific looking. It puts about 10 years on me and looks like a massive trench in the middle of my face. I just can't understand at all how it got like that at my age and on the one side. It almost looks like a scar in dark lighting as if someone has slashed my face? I honestly think if it wasn't for that, I'd still look very young. You can see it in the photo I posted. The beauty therapists are as baffled as I am about why such a random deep line has developed. I don't even always sleep on that side. It's so deep that it casts a shadow on the whole area in photos...so upsetting as I don't think I'll ever be able to fix it. I'm beating myself up that I didn't notice it sooner as it surely didn't happen overnight. I just don't get it at all.

My acne started to clear up a lot with the facials, so fingers crossed that it keeps improving. There is still a lot of scarring on my cheeks but the therapist said a lot of it should clear up with time. I'm not really getting any new spots with the Murad regime. Wish I'd found it sooner as it does seem to work.

So that's how it's going so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Could it be possible that because you are so conscious/afraid of it, that you are subconsiously tensing the muscles in around the area? I did that when my skin was very very bad.

People sometimes forget that facial muscles are the same as any other muscles and can and will change in appearance if stressed in certain ways over long periods of time they strengthen. I can't imagine a new wrinkle forming that quickly unless it is in fact squashing of the skin because of muscular stress.

Could it be possible that because you are so conscious/afraid of it, that you are subconsiously tensing the muscles in around the area? I did that when my skin was very very bad.

People sometimes forget that facial muscles are the same as any other muscles and can and will change in appearance if stressed in certain ways over long periods of time they strengthen.

I do clench my teeth in my sleep. Am getting neck/shoulder massages to deal with that.

The one side isn't that bad though. You can only see the nasolabial line when looking close up, in a mirror in certain light. The other one is extremely obvious all the time.

Well as I think I've already said in the thread I can relate to looking in the mirror but I am afraid I am having to face the idea myself that people don't view us as we view ourselves, that oft-rolled-out, obvious saying.

If your skin does go bad again I will tell you I have been recently using hyaluronic acid and it has worked extremely well for me, probably the best single topical thing I've ever used (and I've used a LOT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Well as I think I've already said in the thread I can relate to looking in the mirror but I am afraid I am having to face the idea myself that people don't view us as we view ourselves, that oft-rolled-out, obvious saying.

If your skin does go bad again I will tell you I have been recently using hyaluronic acid and it has worked extremely well for me, probably the best single topical thing I've ever used (and I've used a LOT).

Yeah I started using hydraluron by indeed labs and its amazing, very effective from as little as three days use, leaves skin soft and plump! (They should be paying me because I'm giving that same speech to all my friends!) Someone on here said recently that it got rid of a line in her neck, now I've been trying it on a deep line in my neck and its making no difference so I dunno if it'll work for your one either op but maybe worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 angelsigh

I'm in agreement with the above post! Hydraluron is wonderful. It's worth having a search through beauty blogs, such as Caroline Hiron's, in order to learn more about products and application. I empathise with your acne experiences. I initially began to suffer from acne on the back and mild facial acne at 26. It's worth asking your doctor about the pill Dianette as a means of clearing it. It works brilliantly for me and other ladies I know- now at 32, I only take it for a few months if I have a particularly bad breakout. Otherwise I try to keep it under control through cleansing and using the Clarisonic brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Tasden wrote: »
    Yeah I started using hydraluron by indeed labs and its amazing, very effective from as little as three days use, leaves skin soft and plump! (They should be paying me because I'm giving that same speech to all my friends!) Someone on here said recently that it got rid of a line in her neck, now I've been trying it on a deep line in my neck and its making no difference so I dunno if it'll work for your one either op but maybe worth a try.

oh that was me with the neck line. I dont think it was the hydraluron alone that helped it. I am also thanking the serum I use and the snoxin but yeah it definately looks better I think!

The hydraluron is amazing its made a huge difference to my face, great stuff! I find it a life saver when flying as I used to get dry lined skin after flights but now I put this on before and after and its a big help

Tasden wrote: »

I will definitely look into it, sounds like it could do a good job in general. The Murad moisturiser is so expensive - nearly 50 quid for a tiny tube. Just can't afford it along with the supplements and cleanser. The Hydraluron is at least a bit more affordable. Don't think it'll help with my massive nose-mouth crease, though.
    angelsigh wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with the above post! Hydraluron is wonderful. It's worth having a search through beauty blogs, such as Caroline Hiron's, in order to learn more about products and application. I empathise with your acne experiences. I initially began to suffer from acne on the back and mild facial acne at 26. It's worth asking your doctor about the pill Dianette as a means of clearing it. It works brilliantly for me and other ladies I know- now at 32, I only take it for a few months if I have a particularly bad breakout. Otherwise I try to keep it under control through cleansing and using the Clarisonic brush.

Unfortunately I can't take Diannette or any combined pill due to migraines. I used to take it and my skin was perfect so it's such a shame I can't go back on it.

The Murad supplements and cleanser seem to be making a difference. My skin looks much clearer and less angry than a week ago. I was told by the beauty therapist that I should see results within another week so fingers crossed. I got a bit down earlier looking at old pics from a few years ago when my skin was totally clear and I looked so young. Oh well. I know it could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Hi OP, try not to stress too much about this. I think the years and lack of a good routine have just caught up with you, the year away and the conditions just accelerated it a tad.

Other then the advice given especially from lexi the best advice I can give is to educate yourself on skin care, there's an array of great forums out there jam packed with information and advice. If you educate yourself trust me you won't need to be spending a fortune on lotions and potions. I just want to repeat that diet and excise are the main ingredients for good skin.(lots of oily fish + fresh veg) You can slap as many expensive creams on your face as you like but if they're not suited for your skin then you're just going to make matters worse.

I'd suggest peels for the damaged skin but you need to understand how to look after your skin properly before introduce these to your skin care routine.

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

I lost my looks too, it seemed like overnight. Very strange indeed. I'm sure you dont look as bad as you say... We are our own worst critic.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

I dont think you lost your looks. From the pic I can see you have very pretty teeth and mouth which I personally would love to have. I also got laugh lines recently and Im 27! I was like you, used to being pretty with no effort! So I can relate to your pain. I was so careless though, never used sunscreen or had any skincare at all. Lots of cheap foundation,cigarrettes,alcohol. Besides, my mom told me shes had her laugh lines for as long as she can remember so genetics did not help matter either. But the funny thing is the amount of compliments I've received lately about looking young and people not believing I have a daughter!
    Now it might be because I stopped with the make up since it makes the lines worse. But it might also be that even though lines are a flaw and Im still sad I got them, they are not as powerful as to make you ugly! You are probably just as pretty but now you have your skin to worry about. I also dont think any guys would turn you down cause of lines. Not with your lips! lol
    Im also using hydraluron, which was on sale in boots but now went up in price. I heard retinol from indeed labs is good too and might give it a try. I got the no7 collection online as well but only to have some kind of skincare regime since the only thing I used to put on my face before was cheap baby lotion to remove make up!

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Hi OP, try not to stress too much about this. I think the years and lack of a good routine have just caught up with you, the year away and the conditions just accelerated it a tad.

Other then the advice given especially from lexi the best advice I can give is to educate yourself on skin care, there's an array of great forums out there jam packed with information and advice. If you educate yourself trust me you won't need to be spending a fortune on lotions and potions. I just want to repeat that diet and excise are the main ingredients for good skin.(lots of oily fish + fresh veg) You can slap as many expensive creams on your face as you like but if they're not suited for your skin then you're just going to make matters worse.

I'd suggest peels for the damaged skin but you need to understand how to look after your skin properly before introduce these to your skin care routine.

Good Luck :)

In fairness, I did always look after myself. I used to find that using products irritated my skin and figured out that plain water seemed to work best, so that's what I used and it was grand for ages. Plus I was on Diannette and then another contraceptive pill for ages and they seemed to mask any hormonal acne I may have had. I'm honestly not sure if diet, exercise etc makes as much difference as people say - I eat really well and exercise loads and still have loads of issues while I know other girls who drink loads, smoke 20 a day and never exercise who have beautiful skin.

I never believed in expensive products but I have to say that I am shocked by the difference a few facials and expensive products have made. My skin is still bad, but it's a million times better than it was. The greasiness has gone, the huge pores are improving and I'm not getting any new spots. I just wish I'd known sooner that these products were so effective. I'll have to wait and see how bad the scarring turns out to be.
    I dont think you lost your looks. From the pic I can see you have very pretty teeth and mouth which I personally would love to have. I also got laugh lines recently and Im 27! I was like you, used to being pretty with no effort! So I can relate to your pain. I was so careless though, never used sunscreen or had any skincare at all. Lots of cheap foundation,cigarrettes,alcohol. Besides, my mom told me shes had her laugh lines for as long as she can remember so genetics did not help matter either. But the funny thing is the amount of compliments I've received lately about looking young and people not believing I have a daughter!
    Now it might be because I stopped with the make up since it makes the lines worse. But it might also be that even though lines are a flaw and Im still sad I got them, they are not as powerful as to make you ugly! You are probably just as pretty but now you have your skin to worry about. I also dont think any guys would turn you down cause of lines. Not with your lips! lol
    Im also using hydraluron, which was on sale in boots but now went up in price. I heard retinol from indeed labs is good too and might give it a try. I got the no7 collection online as well but only to have some kind of skincare regime since the only thing I used to put on my face before was cheap baby lotion to remove make up!

That's really nice, thanks! I know I am coming across as very vain but it was just such a shock to go from looking super young to having signs of aging and clear skin to acne! I've also noticed that foundation makes the lines worse - never really used it often, but not sure what to do now. Have you tried any other stuff like tinted moisturiser or mineral make-up or do you just leave your skin as it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm sorry you're feeling so low.
    I'll be honest and say I'm not in the same boat as you BUT I will say that my skin can look really tired, dry and older if I don't drink water or moisturise.

I've found a genius pot of moisturising cream called Johnson's 24 Hour Moisturising Day Cream.
    It's about €5 a tub and is so silky and soft, it absorbs quickly and ever since I started using it, people have said my skin is glowing.
    I'm not saying it will magic away any wrinkles you have, but I would definitely recommend it for a really nice complexion.

I also use Clean & Clear Deep Action Cream Cleanser which makes your skin feel so tingly and fresh.

I also used Clarins Face Oil a few nights ago and it's super moisturising.

I know it's a cliche but drinking water (although boring!) seriously helps.
    I didn't think it'd make a difference, but it really has...my skin is incredibly clear.
    Take yourself off for a facial, drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and veg and moisturise...It can't do you harm, it can only help.

Besides this advice (whether good or not), please don't be so hard on yourself.

Remember to wear suncream every day, not just when it's sunny.

If you've got your health, your friends and family, you're so rich.
    You seem like a lovely person.
    Chin up girl x

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

That's really nice, thanks! I know I am coming across as very vain but it was just such a shock to go from looking super young to having signs of aging and clear skin to acne! I've also noticed that foundation makes the lines worse - never really used it often, but not sure what to do now. Have you tried any other stuff like tinted moisturiser or mineral make-up or do you just leave your skin as it is?

Im using the garnier blur primer. I did not even know what a primer was before I got my lines but now its my best friend! You can use it before make up or by itself. It works wonders. I actually think my primer is the one getting compliments! Its around 12 euros in boots and worth its weight in gold. Like you I thought it was so silly to spend money on this stuff but it does make a difference.
    I also agree with diet and exercise not doing much when it comes to skin. I would say in my case it was in this order: lack of sunscreen and sunbeds, genetics, lack of sleep since I had my daughter. Im wearing la roche sunscreen now and trying to sleep more, not much I can do about genetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Just on the acne end of things...

I could write a book about acne. My experience with it first started when I was seventeen and lasted a good decade, give or take a few remissions due to a couple of courses of Accutane.

Now at the grand aul age of 28, I've finally reached a stage where I have it under control - give or take a spot or two - without medication and through holistic means. Namely, diet, a religious skincare routine and an absolute sh1t tonne of water.

Diet-wise, through trial and error I've discovered my triggers. Dairy, red meat, too many starchy carbs, excessive sugar, alcohol. If I stay clear, my face will oblige. Obviously life happens sometimes, but keeping these to a minimal does wonders for my skin. Perhaps you could try eliminating what you think could be trigger foods for you and see how your face fares. Gradually re-introduce and gauge the reaction.

Skincare. I'm not aRsed with the expensive stuff. I've tried it all and frankly, to me there's no difference between a E10 bottle of Simple and a E50 tub of Roc, bar the luxurious smell. IME the fancy stuff is more likely to aggravate, which is why I stick with Simple or Clean and Clear Gentle Foam Wash. I'll use a similar brand for toner and moisturizer - but will make sure to buy a hydrating moisturizer and often add a tiny drop of bio-oil in the jar as it's good for clearing scars and blemishes.

Once I've applied my moisturizer, I'll usually apply a light coat of a product with benzoyl peroxide all over my face - such as DFF or Benzac AC (not sure if available in Ireland, I order online). It dries the holy crap out of your skin, which is why the hydrating moisturizer is important, but it's the bees knees at keeping spots at bay. If you use it correctly (and DON'T slap it all over your face, as you'll then be dealing with a serious case of red-itchy-faced horror) it can clear a breakout in a matter of days. I used to apply a layer morning and night after moisturizing, leave to dry and then apply primer + makeup, but my skin is so clear from it that now I just stick it on at night and it does the job for me. Again, note, be sparing with this stuff.

And really the rest for me is down to water, water, water and a liberal amount of makeup free days. And fresh air. If I'm having a breakout, makeup is my worst enemy. Product saturation is also my worst enemy. Keep it simple and develop a routine. Don't skip that routine for love or money and really, a clean diet really shows on your face. I can literally feel the spots forming under my skin if I have a few junk-food-y days. My skin has a glow to it that disappears if the diet slides, and no amount of products will change that.

Oh, and wear a daily SPF. Dermatologica have a good range or moisturizers and tinter moisturizers with SPF. Don't leave the house without it. I was fairly careless about sun protection for most of my teens / early twenties and I dread what's ahead for me - it's probably the worst thing for premature ageing of your skin. I've seen women ten years older than me who look 50+ because of excessive sun-worshipping / sun beds / lack of protection. Even in the depth of winter you need an SPF if you step outside the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

NotVain wrote: »
    Some people have expressed shock that my GP advised fillers etc - I don't think you guys get how bad it is. I've tried to upload a pic on Flickr to show you (not sure if it'll work...really bad with the internet).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110471884@N04/

You could crack a smile, for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ficheall If you can't post constructively, then please don't post.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lunni

Ficheall wrote: »
    You could crack a smile, for starters.

The whole point of the photo was to show the nose-to-mouth line. Everyone has them when they smile, so a photo of her smiling would have been pointless.

Lunni wrote: »
    The whole point of the photo was to show the nose-to-mouth line. Everyone has them when they smile, so a photo of her smiling would have been pointless.

Yep, that was the point.

Just here to post a little update.

I'd been feeling so much better about my skin, as it seemed to have improved and cleared up a lot...HOWEVER...it has got worse again in the last few days and I'm back to square one. Got some bad advice from a beauty therapist about a toner and it's wrecked my skin. All red and inflamed acne again now. I've been taking pics most says for the last few months and it actually looks WORSE than it did. I'm actually not as bothered about the aging bit now and more concerned about the acne. One side in particular looks so scarred in pictures...looks like there's a lot of scar tissue under the skin and can't imagine it looking much better in the future. I got terrible cystic acne while I was away and poked/squeezed it without realising that you should not do that. I'd only ever got whiteheads before and squeezed them no bother. I wish to God I'd come across all those skincare blogs earlier in life and learned about how to treat my skin. I'm afraid it's too little too late now.

I just feel so stupid now that I poked at my skin so much and ruined it...why couldn't I have just left it alone until I got back?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Have you seen a Doctor? just to check your hormone levels?

The toner may have contained alcohol which can be a bit harsh on the skin, if you feel the need to use a toner use rose water instead as it's chemical free.

It did contain alcohol even though the therapist said it didn't. Annoyed about that, more money down the drain. When you say rose water, is that a thing you can buy or do you make it at home? Still new to all this beauty stuff!

I've had my hormone levels checked and was told they were indicative of PCOS but further tests didn't seem to corroborate this and I was told I was grand. I'm sure hormones are playing a part (not sure I believe the doc) but think it's probably down to other factors as well such as the sun, the water where I was, and me picking at my skin subconsciously (didn't realise I did this, try not to do it now).

I just so hope it improves somewhat...I am literally spending every penny I have on my skin - the cleansers, supplements, moisturiser etc come it at almost 200 euro a month, plus the facials etc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You can overload your skin too, unless you're willing to keep up that expensive skin care routine then you may be doing more harm than good.
    A lot of salons are on sales targets, and will feed on people's insecurities. Don't buy everything that's recommended.

You can buy rosewater in chemists or salon supply shops

You can overload your skin too, unless you're willing to keep up that expensive skin care routine then you may be doing more harm than good.
    A lot of salons are on sales targets, and will feed on people's insecurities. Don't buy everything that's recommended.

You can buy rosewater in chemists or salon supply shops

Well my target right now is to clear my skin up, and this Murad stuff seems to be working. The staff aren't particularly pushy at all, to be honest. I usually have to ask them what I should buy. The toner was a mistake and broke me out but it's settling down now that I've stopped it. To go for so long and get no new spots is pretty amazing...in the long term I obviously can't afford this range but was hoping to be able to switch to something else gentle but reasonably priced like Avene...don't think I can get away with just plain water like I was before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Well my target right now is to clear my skin up, and this Murad stuff seems to be working. The staff aren't particularly pushy at all, to be honest. I usually have to ask them what I should buy. The toner was a mistake and broke me out but it's settling down now that I've stopped it. To go for so long and get no new spots is pretty amazing...in the long term I obviously can't afford this range but was hoping to be able to switch to something else gentle but reasonably priced like Avene...don't think I can get away with just plain water like I was before!

Murad is excellent. It is pricey, but I used it for a while when I lived in Boston. I'm originally from Florida, and the climate change wreaked havoc on my skin. I had never really dealt with noticeable acne before and it did shake my confidence. I tried a few products, some of which just made it worse. But then I went in for a facial and the tech recommended Murad. Cleared it right up. I was sad when I had to leave it behind because of the price. Now, I have more disposable salary and am thinking of going back to it just because if you can afford a great skincare regime, it's worth the investment, especially as you age (I'm 32 now :eek: ).

Like others have said, we all age and I don't think it's the height of vanity to worry about that. There are so many products out there that you will find one that will work for you. Will you ever have the skin you had in your early 20s? No, you're not in your early 20s anymore! But I believe that with the right skincare line for you and healthy habits, like daily sunscreen and staying hydrated, you can have good skin at any age. It just takes a little more research and investment as we get older.

Feeling so down again now. While my skin looks brighter and more glowing overall since I started facials and Murad, the acne/acne scars seem to be even worse! I've been taking pics every day and one of my cheeks is now covered in red marks where it wasn't before. Any idea how this could be?

I also seem to have developed a weird scar-looking thing near my mouth out of nowhere. It wasn't there before and I don't remember squeezing a spot there or anything. There's a discoloured area (brownish) and then a flesh coloured bump. I initially presumed the bump was a blocked pore/blackhead as it looked like it could be squeezed but I didn't squeeze it. It's been there for 2 months now.

Is there any way facials could make your skin WORSE? I was told not to mix products, so I've stuck to Murad (blemish/anti ageing cleanser twice a day, hydrating toner twice a day, blemish/anti-ageing moisturiser twice a day, exfoliator once a week) and Murad facials once a fortnight. I would have expected my skin to clear up massively but it really hasn't at all.

I suffer from a similar obsession and yes there are things that can make your skin worse. The cycle of checking the skin -> trying to fix it by washing/rubbing it will cause an overall degredation of the skin generally. Generally what is needed is not another scrub clean but consecutive days of little if any washing. The skin is probably agitated.

I'm sorry to hear you are in this trap and that you can't find a solution. Apple cider vinegar helps a lot for me (get in health shop with the 'mother' in it).

Is there any way facials could make your skin WORSE? I was told not to mix products, so I've stuck to Murad (blemish/anti ageing cleanser twice a day, hydrating toner twice a day, blemish/anti-ageing moisturiser twice a day, exfoliator once a week) and Murad facials once a fortnight. I would have expected my skin to clear up massively but it really hasn't at all.

Who told you not to mix products/brands?

Also +1 on ACV, it can be quite harsh but mixed with enough water i find it makes a great toner.

• Advertisement

They probably meant to try products exclusively so ye know what effect each one is having on the skin, when ye mix and are trying a lot of products it's hard to determine?

They probably meant to try products exclusively so ye know what effect each one is having on the skin, when ye mix and are trying a lot of products it's hard to determine?

Yeah I told her that earlier in the thread I think, that messing around with new products all at once will probably cause more damage than good but it seems the op is sticking with just one brand?? Maybe I read it wrong, just seems she was advised to only use products from one range which isn't really necessary.

Advertisement