Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 3rd Level Courses for 2014

Options
  • 29-11-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm about to fill out my CAO form *eek* and I'm pretty sure about my first choice. However the points I'm aiming for are high 400's and I'm worried that I won't get it! So I've been thinking a lot about my second choices. :confused:

I really like the look of Commerce with Gaeilge in NUIG, but it's a brand new course for 2014 and has a 15 student intake. Would anyone have any ideas what the points are going to be like for it? I'm worried that it will be really high :(

Also, are there any other new courses that wouldn't be on the points list from last year? :)

Comments

Just put it down as #2 and if you get it, happy days! If you don't, the CAO will just go further down your list.
    Don't be one of those people in August who say "I didn't think I'd get the points but I did but it's not on my CAO"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ignore the points.
    Put down the courses in order of preference, the one you would most like first (regardless of points) followed by your second choice etc..
    You never know what will happen in the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

I'm going to put it down anyway, I was just hoping someone might have an idea of the type of points I'd need for it.

One of my friends put his choices down arseways last year and is planning on repeating first year in UCD next year, so I know to be weary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I suppose comparing it with the Commerce and Irish courses in NUIG or the rest of the country (if there are any) might give you an idea.

fewtins wrote: »
    I suppose comparing it with the Commerce and Irish courses in NUIG or the rest of the country (if there are any) might give you an idea.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you look at it), it isn't just new to NUIG but new to the country! Comparing it with Commerce International in NUIG is a bit vague, as that ranges from 450 to 525, depending on which modern language you study. Also, they all have a different intake of students.

As for level 6/7 choices, I haven't got a clue :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

There's no point in comparing it to level 6/7 anyway. It was always gonna be a super rough estimate but you know it's unlikely to be less than what normal Commerce in NUIG is, at least.

There's usually a list of discontinued, renamed and new courses with the CAO handbook at some stage. But a quick google search also gives you this list from careersportal.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

There's commerce and Irish in ucc, 480 points last year.

123 LC wrote: »
    There's commerce and Irish in ucc, 480 points last year.

dya reckon there's a chance of it being lower in NUIG considering it's a new course?

*Update*

6 months later and the leaving cert is three days away.
    And guess what? I've changed my CAO form so Commerce with Irish in NUIG is first and Primary School Teaching in Mary I is second, then regular Commerce in NUIG is third.
    But now I'm starting to panic and there are still no predicted points around for new CAO 2014 courses. Help :(

Advertisement