Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It begins...

Options
  • 29-11-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

So I got my product to market today. After about a year of tweaking with an idea, researching, collaborating, visiting suppliers, costing, refining and communicating I finally invested in my idea and brought my product to market today. It is in two independent stores and I am waiting a reply from others and arranging to speak to a few more. Hopefully it will be a profitable venture. It's an enjoyable learning experience thus far and I think there is lots to gain going forward.

I started a few threads here over the last year seeking advice and I am writing to say thank you to the responders. It really helps to hear the views of others and gaining insight has enabled me to overcome obstacles and challenges in my knowledge, strategy and motivation.

I think I recall a Dragon on the Den say before "if you have an idea, spend a year thinking it through, developing it and working out if it is viable". I think this is a good sentiment. My idea a year ago has developed to something that is better than before and I am more confident in my investment, route to market and next steps going forward.

Now, im not gona win innovator of the year or anything. I designed a brand for the city of Dublin that is quite stylish and identifiable and I've had it printed on some products. Nevertheless I've wanted to have a side business and a modest profit and I think this might achieve this. I'm also quite proud of my design and any success this gets endorses my creativity and ambition and this makes me happy.

So if there is anyone reading this who is in the position I was a year ago I hope there is something inspiring in my post. Don't hesitate to ask questions on here there is a good body of knowledge posters are willing to share.

cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Well done Piriz, you took a bit of stick, from me included, but took it all positively and now you are up and running. Tenacity is they key and I wish you great success.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do it, review it, change it! But you'll only ever know by doing it... :)

Good luck OP. Any links to your new baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Thanks a mill Peter, your stick was fair, your advice was valuable.

DSCN2211.JPG

DSCN2218.JPG

DSCN2219.JPG

If anyone wants to know where to buy them PM me :)
    I hope to broaden the product range and I'll have a nice pattern design of the heart in the next batch I order..

Logo is trademark registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I can see those t-shirts looking really well on some of Dublin's eh....... better endowed ladies! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Congrats. I have great admiration for anyone who has the conviction to actually follow through on their idea and turn it into a real business. Best of luck with it.

Its a nice design. You should try and get your stuff into the airport, and I imagine there some shops around the ferries too.

Its a nice design. You should try and get your stuff into the airport, and I imagine there some shops around the ferries too.

This is definitely the plan, i've ear marked two shops in the airport where this could suit. I really think the airport is where this stuff belongs. I'm hoping to get some sales figures first before I approach them..

Never thought of the ferry...will have a look...thanks

*By the way the print in the photos looks a bit cheap...it is in fact better quality than the photo portrays

just received a new order for 32 products...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's fantastic to see your product hit the market Piriz, I've been watching your posts for a while now.

Are you just targeting retailers/wholesalers at the moment?

• Advertisement

Hi Graham,

I've been targeting retailers so far. Aiming to work with independent stores to begin and would also like to see the product in a few museum gift shops.

I don't really have much knowledge about working with wholesaler/distributor but I did receive a PM from a distributor so I will explore this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'd buy one, if it said "Love Cork"! :)

Very nice product.. Well done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Love the logo and the concept! Sweet :) I could see it being very popular with people bringing / sending gifts home too..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Piriz wrote: »
    Hi Graham,

I've been targeting retailers so far. Aiming to work with independent stores to begin and would also like to see the product in a few museum gift shops.

I don't really have much knowledge about working with wholesaler/distributor but I did receive a PM from a distributor so I will explore this offer.

Best of luck with your venture. I hope you're going to target a few major cities in Europe? That's where you'll make your money. Think about setting up your own website too, that will mean higher margins for you.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Best of luck with your venture. I hope you're going to target a few major cities in Europe? That's where you'll make your money. Think about setting up your own website too, that will mean higher margins for you.

Hi Fr Dougal,

by targeting a few major cities in Europe do you mean having Love London, Paris, Madrid etc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The design is pretty cool, well done on it. Have you thought about putting it on somewhere like qwertee or teebusters? You'll probably sacrifice margin but should get decent volume.

Hi Almighty Cushion,

I have not thought about this...i'll look into it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

For a product ideally targeted at the tourist market its actually very stylish! Doesnt look gimmikly like the typical tourist stuff!
    Well done.

Thanks tacofries, i really appreciate your comment on the design...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hi Fr Dougal,

by targeting a few major cities in Europe do you mean having Love London, Paris, Madrid etc?

Yes. I'd start with the UK; London, Edinburg, Cardiff. See how that goes, then hit some non-English speaking countries.

You'll get the volumes from the UK and that should give you better economies of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

OP, congrats on the success so far.

One thing I'd strongly advise is to not just sit back on the design. If the design/branding stagnates, it will get outdated very quickly. You need to be thinking forward in this regard and trying out things that are ahead of the curve.

Consider hiring the help of young designers who could give it a new and interesting twist, or keep it more fashion-progressive.

I would see the brand as the slogan "Love Dublin" as opposed to the font/logo, so you don't have to be restricted in what you do with it.

I'm sure you're aware of I AMsterdam and Berlin Loves You (coincidentally owned by a mate of mine!)

Best of luck

Hi Cianos,

Thanks for your input. I do aim to produce a few different designs and have a collection of products (rather than just let this one grow, mature and decline). I expect to learn as I go too and act to sustain longevity in the market place.

I beg to differ on the brand, I think anyone can produce goods with Love Dublin and do a graphical slant on it but my logo links the Love Dublin sentiment with what in my opinion is Dublins most iconic landmark the Ha'penny bridge. The fusion of these two elements gives the brand substance and a contemporary font aims to appeal to the young and style conscious.

Nevertheless, i respect your point of view and will give it consideration.
    The logo I have is trademark registered; this is my intellectual property and I intend to include my IP in new arrangements of the design.

I am aware of the Iamsterdam, it is really impressive and the fact that they have a huge sculpture of their brand in the city is great. Somewhat similarly, i love the fact that i use the ha'penny bridge in my design, in a sense the sculpture already exists.

Funny enough i was not aware of the Berlin loves you city branding.
    It is really clever in its arrangement and slant on Milton Glasers' I love NY.
    I thought the city of Amsterdam (council) owned Iamsterdam. I'd be interested to talk with your friend, im looking for a mentor...couldn't get better by the sounds of it.

Sorry, I should have clarified, my mate runs Berlin Loves You, not I AMsterdam. As far as I know I AMsterdam is an officially run brand builder for the city, Berlin Loves You is an independent fashion brand. (I think the city of Berlin commissioned "Be Berlin" as their official promo slogan).

Regarding the branding, it's all subjective of course! But sticking to that very specific font and logo might lead to that stagnation, who knows. I know that when I look back on something I designed a year ago, it can often look 'old' to me, and presumably others.

A good idea might be to hit the streets and get some objective feedback. Go out with some samples of the "Dublin" college style hoodies that (I think) they sell in O'Connells, as well as any other similar stuff and of course one of yours, and ask your target demographics what they prefer and why (giving them no indication that you're behind Love Dublin). This should give you some blunt, honest feedback.

Cianos, very sound advice, thank you.

The kerning looked fine on the screen it was the screen print that made it narrower. This will be fixed by the next order. I was disappointed with this myself.

Cianos, very sound advice, thank you.

The kerning looked fine on the screen it was the screen print that made it narrower. This will be fixed by the next order. I was disappointed with this myself.

I actually ninja-edited out that bit of my post, after a second look I thought it wasn't too bad because of how the letters blend in to each other. The line between the I and N is the only one that makes you think it mightn't have been intentional I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hi Piriz,

Do you mind me asking if your product is made locally aka Ireland? If so I would imagine you have pretty high costs.

I am currently developing some products for the tourism market also which I will be launching in Jan. After about a week of market research I knew I had to get them made in China.

Hi MayoSalmon,
    Yes I sourced a manufacturer in Dublin, I got different quotes and went with the company I was happiest with.
    The thing about going with Chinese suppliers for me was it was a world of unknowns, importing, shipping companies, import tax, large quantities, unknown reputations, risk with quality, risk of being ripped off.
    It might be worth getting a small batch produced in Ireland before you go with larger quantities from China.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on and about your products..if you wish to pm me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 IntradayTips

1. The information you shared through your post is functional. I admire your work. Wish you all the luck for all your motivational efforts.:( As you have told here that After about a year of tweaking with an idea, researching, collaborating, visiting suppliers, costing, refining and communicating You finally invested in your idea and brought your product to market today.This type of your Dedication is really appreciable for me.Fantastic post and very useful information. I must appreciate the brilliant work by brilliant writer. Best of luck. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Extremely appropriate emoticons and grammar there Intraday! Gold.

Fair play piriz, I love the logo.

Have you considered targeting distributors/retailers in major emigration hubs abroad? Expats especially love this stuff and if you got in with someone transporting shipments from Ireland then transporting costs would be relatively low I would have thought. I'm in Oz and with only 4/5 major cities here you'd capture most of the Irish community.

In Brisbane (dunno about other cities), there are only two shops but I think the distribute round the country too. Celtic Koala and The Irish Shed. Might be worth a phone call to them.

• Advertisement

Piriz, I heard about Love Dublin Day on the radio today. Not sure how big a thing it is but thought I'd let you know!

Advertisement