Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It costs me money to work more hours????

Options
  • 29-11-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I recently picked up a job in a supermarket - this is the first job I ever had so I don't have a clue how tax / payroll really works. My basic work week is 16 hours, however sometimes the managers will ask me to work extra hours which just fine. I can work up to about 8 hours extra in any given week if requested.

In the last week, I worked four extra hours and to my surprise, I got less than in my very first paycheck where I got paid just for 16 hours.

Is it possible that I'm being charged more tax than I should be? Who should I contact - my manager, HR, revenue, etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is a certain area were you lose money yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm looking at a payslip where I just worked the standard hours. I got taxed e4.90 - On my latest payslip I got taxed e45.10 just for working 4 more hours?

Something dosen't really look right here - is it possible that I fell into another tax bracket for working a bank holiday, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did you go into another USC or PRSI bracket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Maybe you are paying emergency tax

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Maybe you are paying emergency tax

Most likely this.

Each time you start a job, you need to ask the employer for their employer-registration number, and then contact Revenue with this number and your start date.

Now, there's on exception: when you start work late in the year, Revenue may not be able to sort things out this year. So once you get your P60 (a form your employer will give you in January or February), you need to ring Revenue again and ask for a balancing statement. This will make them refund you if you've paid too much tax.

Overall, yes there is a spot where it's possible that a very small pay raise sees you earn less over all. From memory it's around E500/week for most people.

For people like you, though, this doesn't apply.

And ... congrats on the job, and on coming here to start to understand how the tax system works. We know it sounds kinda complicated at first, but it does make sense eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Most likely this.

Each time you start a job, you need to ask the employer for their employer-registration number, and then contact Revenue with this number and your start date.

Now, there's on exception: when you start work late in the year, Revenue may not be able to sort things out this year. So once you get your P60 (a form your employer will give you in January or February), you need to ring Revenue again and ask for a balancing statement. This will make them refund you if you've paid too much tax.

Overall, yes there is a spot where it's possible that a very small pay raise sees you earn less over all. From memory it's around E500/week for most people.

For people like you, though, this doesn't apply.

And ... congrats on the job, and on coming here to start to understand how the tax system works. We know it sounds kinda complicated at first, but it does make sense eventually.

All of the above is correct but as you have never worked before you won't have a P60. In order to get your tax credits allocated you first need to contact revenue and register with them by completing a form 12a. Once you do that you can then get a P60 in January and once that is received you request a P21 balancing statement from revenue and they can then rebate any over paid tax to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I am the same, I work 25 hours per week and don't pay paye, if I work 3 hours more I pay paye and my prsi jumps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello all and thank you for the responses. I called into revenue and they confirmed that I was being charged emergency tax. I filled out the form and received a letter back explaining how I can claim tax credits.

I checked my most recent payslip and I am still being a really high amount - does my employer need to be notified of this? Thanks

Advertisement