Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Galway Hairdressers?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if one of you could recommend a hairdresser in Galway city that wont charge an arm and a leg for my girlfriend. She's Hungarian and finds Irish hairdressers way over-priced and pretty useless :) But that was up in Dublin , so please tell me that's not the case here ? It's for a wedding and think she just wants a wash and blow dry....Thanks in Advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

There's a hairdressing college in Kiltartan house, Foster street. I think its on the third floor up in the building. Anyone can go in. They're always cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

There's a girl called Niamh who has her own business, The Hair Fairy, in the Queen B salon in the Liosban Industrial Estate. I love her, she's not overpriced or anything. Recommend her completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Cocolola wrote: »
    There's a girl called Niamh who has her own business, The Hair Fairy, in the Queen B salon in the Liosban Industrial Estate. I love her, she's not overpriced or anything. Recommend her completely.

Thanks for this I think she will give her a call :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Zenith on Eyre street.

I've gone other places from time to time but no one compares IMO. Very reasonable for the excellent standard of hairdressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whoever is available in Red Catz in Eyre Square centre. They were helpful with doing "just enough" while I was unemployed, so I'm happy to go back now and pay their regular prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks guys for all the tips ..She's looking for Saturday morning so a lot of these are already booked up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good hairdresser in Galway city - for highlights in particular? I had a bit of a disaster the last time I got them done (in a very expensive salon) - ended up with peroxide streaks :eek: and I had to go back in to get them covered up. So needless to say I don't feel comfortable going back there to fork out almost €120 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elephant85

I go to Sara in Hair Republic over in Westside. I find her great and a full head costs me €99. So it's very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I go to laura in Raymond Skeleton hairdressing in knocknacarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Niamh (The Hair Fairy) http://www.thehairfairy.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Is that the same Niamh that was in The Hut?

I too need to get my highlights done - dont want anything brassy/peroxide, just nice ahem, natural looking, highlights!

I noticed that Bellissimo have some new fangled way of doing highlights, anyone recommend anyone in there?

boogaloop wrote: »
    Is that the same Niamh that was in The Hut?

I too need to get my highlights done - dont want anything brassy/peroxide, just nice ahem, natural looking, highlights!

I noticed that Bellissimo have some new fangled way of doing highlights, anyone recommend anyone in there?

Not sure if she used to work in The Hut; I rang her Tuesday morning but she was booked out for the entire week apart from one hour, even though her web page says she is open until 9pm three nights a week and is flexible to suit busy schedules etc - she must be the busiest hairdresser in Galway eh! ..........Anyhow, I ended up getting lovely highlights in Prestige in Eyre Square - not brassy/yellow/peroxide; and I got a great cut too :) Very happy - it's so hard to find a good hairdresser who listens to what you want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Boofle wrote: »

Not sure if she used to work in The Hut; I rang her Tuesday morning but she was booked out for the entire week apart from one hour, even though her web page says she is open until 9pm three nights a week and is flexible to suit busy schedules etc - she must be the busiest hairdresser in Galway eh! ..........Anyhow, I ended up getting lovely highlights in Prestige in Eyre Square - not brassy/yellow/peroxide; and I got a great cut too :) Very happy - it's so hard to find a good hairdresser who listens to what you want!!

She's pretty busy alright. She is actually that good.

She's pretty busy alright. She is actually that good.

She must be good; to be that busy. I'll ring more in advance next time- as she works near where I live so it would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Not a user of highlights myself but my sister uses Pazam at the end of Fr Griffin Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

The Hair Fairy. I was a regular for years at a few well-known salons in town and now go to Niamh (aka The Hair Fairy) and not only does she save me a fortune but she is really good! She was recommended to me on Boards ages ago & I wouldn't go to anyone else now. Google The Hair Fairy Galway to find her details, don't have them to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Got a slot with Niamh in the Hair Fairy for highlights on Saturday, plenty of parking, lovely girl and does listen to what you want. Happy with results, and thanks to all for the recommendation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Niamh is a legend......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Daisy2010

Hi,
    Looking for a hairdresser Galway city centre or outskirts who does a reasonably priced wash & blowdry please. Thx😊

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Annettes on middle street charge e19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

So whos your favourite barber in Galway? My barber has moved to dublin and I find myself in need of a barber who is awesome with beards and up to date trend wise! Got a spot to fill!

So whos your favourite barber?

:) Keep on topic please, only say positive things about someone/someplace and don't name any names if making any negative comparrisons!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hey OP,

I go to One Step Ahead on Abbeygate Street.
    The 3 lads in there are all good barbers and I've always gotten a good haircut when I'm in there. I don't have a beard myself and I get a fairly basic 2 back-and-sides so I can't comment personally on how good they are with beards and the latest hair styles.

Here's a link to previous thread on the topic of barbers in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

+1 for One Step Ahead, according to himself. For me it's Niamh, The Hair Fairy, she works out of Queen B in the Liosban Estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 galwayguy2005

id really recommend headmasters in doughiska, class head designs, great cuts. there doing movember in aid of charity all tips going to charity is well. sound lads def worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

Andys Prospect hill/bohrmore, worth going in for the chat alone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Fat Tonys out in Liosban for me pal, great service. I've never got a bad haircut there, 3/4 barbers out there that I happily let cut my hair. I've always had a barber of preference in other places but out there they're all very good. Gorgeous blonde girl working out there too :P

Skinny Billys on Eglington Street is very good also, Turkish barber.

Crew on Shop Street is doing great business these days especially with students, haven't gone in myself but haven't heard any bad reports.

All these 3 are good if you want to experiment with a new style too, all very up to date. Just show them a pic or two of what you want and they do the rest.

House of Grafton is good but I've never asked for anything unusual in there, just the odd trim here and there. I've only ever used one barber in there though as i used to go to him years ago before Fat Tonys or any of these places were around. Sound lad too, from Mayo.

Can't comment on anywhere else to be honest but Fat Tonys by a long way for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Hey OP,

I go to One Step Ahead on Abbeygate Street.
    The 3 lads in there are all good barbers and I've always gotten a good haircut when I'm in there. I don't have a beard myself and I get a fairly basic 2 back-and-sides so I can't comment personally on how good they are with beards and the latest hair styles.

Here's a link to previous thread on the topic of barbers in Galway.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

House of Grafton. They never ever rush you but it's worth the wait when there is a Q. They have great patience with kids. Also, they have a really large TV in front of the waiting area which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

+1 for one step ahead. A proper barbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

The lads in One Step Ahead; excellent barbers and sound men too.

Advertisement