Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

diy turbo tractors

• 29-11-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Has anyone put a diy turbo in a tractor esp. a mf135. I'm thinking i'll give it a go. Is there a good old car turbo that would suit. Any info. greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

The turbo from a subaru impreza bolts straight on - ferguson were very far sighted in that regard, they had the oil feed for the turbo, the turbo manifold, exhaust, pressure control and all the works pre-installed on the basic engine but blanked ready to be activated by end users if they so desired. The four cylinder engine is easier to convert than the three cylinder though if you''re handy with a grinder, anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

any build threads etc of this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kilmac1

The turbo from a subaru impreza bolts straight on - ferguson were very far sighted in that regard, they had the oil feed for the turbo, the turbo manifold, exhaust, pressure control and all the works pre-installed on the basic engine but blanked ready to be activated by end users if they so desired. The four cylinder engine is easier to convert than the three cylinder though if you''re handy with a grinder, anything is possible.

if your good with a welder you can also make her twin turbo i heard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have a supercharger put on mine but took alot of work, go with the subaru turbo far less work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

h
    :)

That guy ^ cheated, he dropped in a whole Volvo truck engine with a turbo already fitted.

Much better to make the turbo fit whatever you have regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Also interested in this. Want to put one on a 35 x or even twin turbo. What year of impreza is turbo off and what engine. Is the whole turbo kit needed.

Dupont wrote: »
    Also interested in this. Want to put one on a 35 x or even twin turbo. What year of impreza is turbo off and what engine. Is the whole turbo kit needed.
    You really need to go for the early sixties Imprezas as the later ones had a different manifold and had electronic pressure control units and a stud pattern that doesn't match. Some lads have found that using a Halfords mushroom filter increases Hp by as much as 4.

You really need to go for the early sixties Imprezas as the later ones had a different manifold and had electronic pressure control units and a stud pattern that doesn't match. Some lads have found that using a Halfords mushroom filter increases Hp by as much as 4.

Early sixties??? Was that meant to be 96 any idea where to get one cheapish and do I need all air and oil pipes with it or are they to be custom made

• Advertisement

Early sixties??? Was that meant to be 96 any idea where to get one cheapish and do I need all air and oil pipes with it or are they to be custom made
    Dupont, have a think on it. A 35 or a 35x. Old. Usually 3 cylinder.. just about fit to spin at the rate it's already spinning at..breathing wheezily through an oil-bath filter...and an impreza..4 cyl...petrol...japanese..not old... really? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

See photo

No guarantee of any of this - might all melt into a puddle

- too much heat will make the piston rings swell and the ends touch = not good

- it may not be able to take the extra loads - possible death / maiming / serious injury

Manifold ?????

http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/massey_ferguson_tractor_parts_exhaust_manifold_734921m1_3975_prd1.htm

http://secure.ssbtractor.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?search=yes&category=Massey_Ferguson_Tractor_Parts&keywords=MFEM2+734874M1&product_name=Massey%20Ferguson%20Exhaust%20Manifold

Holset H1D turbo :

http://www.myholsetturbo.com/manuals/H1C_D_E_H2A.pdf

Dupont, have a think on it. A 35 or a 35x. Old. Usually 3 cylinder.. just about fit to spin at the rate it's already spinning at..breathing wheezily through an oil-bath filter...and an impreza..4 cyl...petrol...japanese..not old... really? Really?

Can it be done or just not wise??? I see a few 135 turboed.

Been digging deeper and am I right in saying the mf 253 used the same engine as a 35x, 135 but 253 was turboed. It sat on top where fuel tank is on 100 series but I'm sure could be modified to suit at side.

Been digging deeper and am I right in saying the mf 253 used the same engine as a 35x, 135 but 253 was turboed. It sat on top where fuel tank is on 100 series but I'm sure could be modified to suit at side.
    stronger mains, better pistons etc.. would it be worth the grief? Why not get a 253 motor and drop it in?

stronger mains, better pistons etc.. would it be worth the grief? Why not get a 253 motor and drop it in?

Wouldnt be straight swap it would sit higher

Wouldnt be straight swap it would sit higher
    Probably a straighter swap than the impreza turbo though...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

would this work on a massey ferguson 362 ?

Advertisement