Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sargent new rules.

Options
  • 29-11-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

My new local sergeant claims to have a policy of issuing only 100 rounds of ammunition per firearm i am a member of a registered range and have had a 500 rounds on my licence. The previous sergeant had no problem with this.what authority does he have to do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Legally the Sergeant has no authority as he does not issue the licenses or the amounts of ammo on it. However he will have the ear of the Super, and will be responsible for going through the FCA1 before it goes to the Super.

When applying be sure to provide a copy off your range membership and make sure to note you can seek up to 750 according to the Commissioner's guidelines as a member of such a range. Also if substituting or applying make sure to copy all pages of your FCA1 before submitting, and do not be put off by any talk of the "man at the hatch". If you do not get the amount you seek question it or seek to have it amended.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The same thing happened to me at renewal time, I had 500 on everything and had asked for an increase on the .22 as i wanted to start getting competitive with benchrest my limit was cut to 100:mad::mad::mad: So i have 100 on a .22 and 500 on a 30-30win:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I have tried contacting the person who is in charge of the licencing and he is never there or always busy i had called about 20 times i imagine. Never any reply nothing. I just left it as i couldn't be bothered with all this childish nonsense anymore and as i am moving in a couple of months anyway. I really don't see the point in any of it at all. You can either be trusted with it or not it is as simple as that. There should just be a limit across the board and enough of these ignorant opinions causing unneeded stress. I haven't been able to compete in a competition since thats to that fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Did ya try calling the Super's secretary Juice? I can never get hold of the FO here because he's never at his phone so I just call the secretary with the issue and she deals with it. Whether she talks to him or to the super directly I don't know but things seem to get done that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ludicrous in the extreme.

By limiting the amount of ammunition already granted, this sergeant is interfering with your right to pursue your chosen sport, no matter what sport that might be. It's the same as him telling you that you can only have one golf bat to play golf.

I'm pretty certain that hindering your civil liberties is itself an offence in the RoI.

However, I'm open to getting my 'time put right' here, and resigned to be informed that I'm wrong, things in the RoI being what they are.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that hindering your civil liberties is itself an offence in the RoI.
    It might be if you had a right or entitlement to own firearms/ammunition, but we don't.

The sentiment of your post is valid. However as i mentioned above we have no rights when it comes to firearms. As we have no rights to firearms, no civil liberties have been infringed.

What is wrong is the FO acting on his own bat, and as i've said numerous times before on other threads NEVER take the word of the man at the hatch. Whether he knows what he is talking about he does not have the authority to grant or deny anything to do with firearms/ammunition.

The amount of lads i've seen being turned away at the hatch after having spoken to the FO is staggering. Always send an application up the food chain and get an official refusal or grant. This way if you decide to challenge it you have an official letter to use and not the word of a lad at a hatch.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response, Cass, Just about what I predicted anyhow. But isn't it the point that you HAVE been granted this 'liberty' to acquire a certain number of rounds? And this person IS now limiting that 'liberty'?

tac

You may attach the name/title Liberty to it if you wish but it does not make it so nor does it make it legal. Secondly it is a liberty that under law can be revoked or amended at any time.

The law in Ireland is an ass (for the most part). It is a chop shop of legislation from numerous countries, and it's all mashed together to make some incoherent drivel that barely passes as law. However it is law. Hence until firearm ownership comes with some sort of entitlement it will be classed as a privilege.

Also if you could stop with the "i'm resigned to be shown to be wrong" talk that'd be super. The forum is a discussion forum. Meaning even if someone is without a doubt right, you'll still have another person trying to prove you wrong. No one is out to try and prove you wrong at every step, and as i said above i agree with what you say in terms of the sentiment, but it's not law so obviously someone will try and elaborate, explain or rebut it.

Lastly the OP has started this thread with " i believe ". IOW supposition. He has not has his granted amount reduced, and the fact he says his FO has "a reputation of not granting" is legally wrong to start with as he does not have the authority. If others have had the same experience then it's the Super they need to address their issues to and not the FO.

TVM.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

I dont have all the facts yet but i have not dealt with this superintendent before either maybe its just the FO trying to put me off but from what he said its district policy now. In fairness to the FO he did say he would explain my reasons for wanting the 500 rds to the super. I suppose what im getting at is, if i get my license with 100 rds on it should i shut my mouth and be glad he renewed my cert or should i appeal if that were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

if i get my license with 100 rds on it should i shut my mouth and be glad he renewed my cert or should i appeal if that were to happen.

If 100 rounds is enough for you to have at any one time, then that's no problem.

If you are like me and go through ammo like a hot knife through butter, then you would need a lot more than 100 rounds. I don't know the type of shooting you do but if you take part in competitions, then 100 rounds wouldn't be enough. Some of our competitions require 150 rounds for one discipline only and there are lots and lots of disciplines.

Wait and see what is granted on your licence. If it has indeed been reduced, then send in a letter stating why you need your ammo allowance increased and take things from there.

The Gardaí are usually fair if you can prove to them why you need the ammo increase. A well worded letter stating your case as to why you need the increase won't do you any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Ive 200 on my .22 licence for my air rifle.Tins only come in tins of 500 so i cant legally buy ammo... pure joke tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

A quick letter explaining exactly that will sort that out 1shot.

I've 1000 on my air rifle licence - the argument that I made was that you can't purchase less than 500 in a tin, and that in order to account for having one full tin available for use, and one tin in use, that any quantity less than 2 full tins (1000 rounds) would logistically be very difficult to adhere to.

Didn't have any problems getting the increase.

Advertisement