Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline or Travel Insurance

Options
  • 29-11-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice.

I went on holidays with my mum a couple of weeks ago, a med cruise. When we arrived in Istanbul airport and I went to collect my mothers mobility scooter, it turns out that Turkish Airlines broke it - as in it's completly wrecked. Trying to get turkish airlines to take any responsibility was damn near impossible. They of course pretended not to understand english but after two hours I got a manager that explained that when I got home I could send a claim to the airline for repair or replacement.

They didnt offer to help, lend us a wheelchair or alternative. At one stage my mother had to be wheeled through the port on a luggage trolley. Kind of disgusting for my 69 year old mother!!! Of course her holiday was greatly affected as she had no independance and my holiday was certainly affected as when we got to our cruise ship, we did borrow a wheelchair for the holiday but I had to wheel her around the whole time. Lack of a scooter also limited us visiting places that the ship was docked in.

So, anyway, here is the question, do I put a claim into the airline or my holiday insurance?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

John:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I would check to see if the scooter was covered on your own policy first but my inkling would be to claim against the Airline on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

john47 wrote: »
    So, anyway, here is the question, do I put a claim into the airline or my holiday insurance?

What is that are you claiming for, compensation for the scooter only or also compensation for the inconvenience and reduced enjoyment of the holiday?

I suspect the airline's liability is limited to the cost of the scooter and possibly other costs such as wheelchair hire. I doubt you'll get anywhere with the airline or insurance for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The scooter wont be covered by the travel insurance.

Advertisement