Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

internal upgrades

• 29-11-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

so basically i was hoping to do a few upgrades on my aeg its a jg g36 and i was hoping to
    -rewire to low-res wiring and deans connecters
    -increase the rof
    -if its possible mod it to have a hair trigger
    any idea how much that would cost me to get a tech to do it and what parts should i go for? and where would be the best place to drop it into in the kildare/dublin area??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

What are you hoping to achieve with these upgrades? It seems very...general. Do you have anything specific in mind, or is it just wanting to have something 'better'?

Replacing the trigger switch will set you back circa €24, and increasing the rate of fire is entirely dependent on what you want to achieve RPS-wise (rounds per second). You can swap out the gears for lower ratio ones - the standard gears are 18:1, which means the bevel gear turns 18 times per one revolution of the sector gear (i.e. one complete cycle of the gearbox), so anything lower will mean your gun will shoot faster. I believe the lowest ratio gears on the market these days are 10:1.

For going crazy with ROF you're into the realms of swiss-cheesing (removing excess material from piston, including removing bearings from piston head), short-stroking (removing teeth from sector gear & piston), swapping out your motor for a neodymium magnet high torque motor, and increasing your battery's voltage, capacity, and discharge rating. Also to keep up with such higher rates of fire you will need to run midcaps exclusively, with stronger springs, and will most certainly need a sector chip. Not to mention ensuring as smooth a pickup angle as possible, as well as installing a MOSFET. Doing all of the above will put you squarely in the region of 60 RPS, which means you're going to go through pistons like nobody's business! In other words, it's really not worth it.

For general all-purpose reasonable rates of fire, change out your gears for 13:1, put in a metal-tooth piston rack (cope with additional stress), use a neodymium magnet high torque motor and a bearing spring guide. Ensure good angle of engagement (adjust using sorbothene pads on the cylinder head), and use a sector chip to increase the length of time the tappet plate is retracted i.e. ensures there's enough time for a BB to be loaded. You'd be looking at €25 for the gears, €10 for the piston, €39-59 for the motor (depending on preference), and buttons for the sector chip.

Hair-trigger mods are trickier, and require an awful lot of tuning and tech-ing. Plus an awful lot is to do with feel. It is a time-consuming process, and since you'd be paying a tech by the hour, this is where your bill climbs. Hair trigger mods are better done by end-user. Or not done at all. Personally, not a big fan. I find simply decreasing the time it takes for the gearbox to cycle is enough for me to be satisfied with the trigger response...hair trigger to me is just simply bringing the trigger forward enough to reset, and not have to pull it all the way back :)

It can of course be done, and is a case of adding material to the trigger so that the contact moves sooner, adjusting the contacts so that they meet sooner (preferably without resistance), modifying the cut off lever so that you don't end up with full auto only, and then ensuring that your gun still has a safety. This is an unknown quantity...who knows what whom would charge for this kind of thing...in fact, many techs probably wouldn't do it, as how good the job is relies on your interpretation of "hair trigger" not to mention that it increases the likelihood of a failure occurring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭biz96

You can begin your upgrade by replace the motor, wiring, and mosfet. Look this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fgTHGcbLu2Y

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭maxwarren

thanks! :) was looking for a better response when pulling the trigger because as it is almost a whole second for the bb to be fired due to a seriously long trigger pull and slow wiring (i think) so drop the hair trigger idea? would the response be good of a good gear/motor setup? and as i usually fire on semi or short burst the increased rof isnt that huge of a deal so i wont go down the swiss chessing road etc. i want it to be good but reliable. thanks for the advice lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

When pursuing trigger response, ROF is a side effect. To get better response you're looking at shortening the time it takes for the gearbox to complete one cycle. This involves using lower ratio gears, higher torque motors (faster acceleration = less spool time), and faster piston return time, as well as giving the gun MOAR POWER.

If you're unhappy with the current response, the first thing to look at is your battery - what are you running the gun off of? 8.4v-9.6v NiMh, 7.4v-11.1v lipo? Also what brand/quality? Cheap batteries are pretty nasty all-round.

Personally before dumping tonnes of money into upgrades, I would be testing the gun on a higher voltage battery (9.6v at minimum; preferably 7.4v lipo), and if not happy there I'd swap out the motor and see how that goes. Most people are happy with the trigger response on a gun running circa 23 RPS; change the motor and you'll see a drastic jump. I'd go with an SHS high torque, as although the Lonex A1 & A2 are superior motors (as far as maximal performance goes), they do require a little more work on the gearbox, lest you suffer severe pre-engagement!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭maxwarren

i love when my planned upgrades somehow get cheaper :') running it on an intellect 9.6 ive opened gearboxes before and caused more problems than i ever solved so ill look into picking up the motor and if im not happy ill go into the upgrades thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement