Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

TDA2 wrote: »
    Think its going to take a few days to get used to running straight. Half mile and my legs aren't mine - wierd painful sensation! But I am only trying to break them in. When I start running straight I might not fall off the balance beam!

When I started running I got shinsplints, got gait analysis and new shoes and it really helped, try to push yourself to run eith further or faster each time you go out or even run for a few mins then walk for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

What wanadrum said !

I know it was mentioned before but don't know if you are utilising the couch25k app or method or not, if you're not - you should be ! :)

What wanadrum said !

I know it was mentioned before but don't know if you are utilising the couch25k app or method or not, if you're not - you should be ! :)

Having run multiple marathons I think a lot of the crap talked about running is just that. But if you're new to running anything over 3 miles consistently, and you're feeling pain, it can't hurt to get your gait assessed at up and running in Belfast.
    My point really is that apparently I'd be running wrong for 15 years. Terrible gait, very bow legged, awful strain on my spine.

I ran the Belfast Marathon in the early 2ks in 2:48:18.

The police is NOT the SAS. Be fit, be healthy, you'll be absolutely fine. The biggest chLlenge is resisting the lovely takeaway options once you get to section. :D

Having run multiple marathons I think a lot of the crap talked about running is just that. But if you're new to running anything over 3 miles consistently, and you're feeling pain, it can't hurt to get your gait assessed at up and running in Belfast.
    My point really is that apparently I'd be running wrong for 15 years. Terrible gait, very bow legged, awful strain on my spine.

I ran the Belfast Marathon in the early 2ks in 2:48:18.

The police is NOT the SAS. Be fit, be healthy, you'll be absolutely fine. The biggest chLlenge is resisting the lovely takeaway options once you get to section. :D

I know I won't ever be a great runner - always feel clumsy, never particularly fast, if it was easy to change my running 'style' I'm sure it would make me quicker, but it is not easy.

I note that plenty of peelers in my district struggle to resist the takeaway options - it sometimes seems that it would be quicker to nip to certain areas with the most popular cop takeaways to talk to a peeler than it would be to dial 999 and wait!

I'm only joking (slightly) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneTennison

Congrats to those that have passed PCA. Takes it out of you more than you expect it to! And the after effects. ..ughhhhh. That metallic taste. Its vile. I've done the PCA in a few locations. Even a wooden floored hall doesn't make it any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Congrats to those that have passed PCA. Takes it out of you more than you expect it to! And the after effects. ..ughhhhh. That metallic taste. Its vile. I've done the PCA in a few locations. Even a wooden floored hall doesn't make it any better.

Gait analysed & running shoes (asics) bought this afternoon, gym/running in them tomorrow, touch wood less shin splints, more gym time and maybe I'll get thru to PCA! Good luck to anyone up next week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

.S. wrote: »
    Gait analysed & running shoes (asics) bought this afternoon, gym/running in them tomorrow, touch wood less shin splints, more gym time and maybe I'll get thru to PCA! Good luck to anyone up next week :-)

Dunno if your asics will go with your new suit! Did your numbers come up last night? New suit and new runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

TDA2 wrote: »
    Dunno if your asics will go with your new suit! Did your numbers come up last night? New suit and new runners!

Wore black trousers and a shirt as I had a meeting this morn and wanted to try on suit jackets over a shirt. So on treadmill in semi formal gear and trainers, looked a sight! No numbers unfortunately, credit card got a beating! Have ate too much this wkend so looking forward to burning some cals in the gym tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Did anyone who got the pass email yesterday receive any paperwork through the post yet ref the PCA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

No not yet. Anyone know how long it will be to arrive in post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Nope. Email suggested we would get an invite to familiarisation and then a PCA. My big hoop will be moving every night just to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Hows the fitness coming along Bob ? Would I be correct in saying that you mentioned you were in the overweight end of the scale at one stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

I am very worried about the pca after being very ill for a few weeks. My training went put the window. I'm female, I'm hoping I won't have an issue with the push pull as I used to do a manual labour and very physical job for a number of years and seem to be quite strong in my upper body. Stamina is going to be my issue. Good luck! I've had no word yet either after my pass email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

aeternus wrote: »
    I am very worried about the pca after being very ill for a few weeks. My training went put the window. I'm female, I'm hoping I won't have an issue with the push pull as I used to do a manual labour and very physical job for a number of years and seem to be quite strong in my upper body. Stamina is going to be my issue. Good luck! I've had no word yet either after my pass email.

You will be fine. It's not an army standard fitness test and you have almost 4 mins to complete circuit. As for the push pull. You can use your whole body. Good luck

Have you passed tony1985? I'd ha're to get so far and fail! Never done a fitness test before so not knowing what to expect! Fingers crossed. Hopefully what I'm doing now every day will be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

I'm with you there, persistent cold/chest infection type thing for about 3 weeks now, took nearly 2 weeks off the gym and went back yesterday - I could tell I had been skiving off, nearly killed me!

They are certainly taking longer with the pca info this time, I wonder if there is less of a rush as they already have the guts off 100 people who have passed it?

Aw no, hope you are feeling better now. I was in hospital, off work and all sorts. If the pca doesn't beat me the medical will at this rate! Couldn't happen at a worse time.

Hopefully that will bode us well - few more weeks to get fit!

I can't believe I've got this far - big push now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Has anyone had any further correspondence regarding the PCA? Still checking my email, thinking i've missed something

the411 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any further correspondence regarding the PCA? Still checking my email, thinking i've missed something

Pca invite comes by post, so you can stop checking your e-mails :)

Wish I was in your position wanadrum! This is by far the thing I've been most worried about. Nerves already and have not even got the pca letter through the door yet! Need to have a word with myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

Anyone with a basic level of fitness shouldn't have a problem. As they say at the familiarisation session it's about the competancy part first and foremost, can you carry out the tasks at a decent pace, not how fit are you. I was destroyed after it because i wanted a really good time and gave 100%.
    I know a girl who failed, most people are failing on the push/pull machine. Good technique is important for it, watch the instructor closely when they demonstrate

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Wish I was in your position wanadrum! This is by far the thing I've been most worried about. Nerves already and have not even got the pca letter through the door yet! Need to have a word with myself!
    You'll be fine. Try not to think about why you're doing the PCA. Don't think about it as anything other than a reasonable fitness test. One that you will pass if you want to.

Thanks folks. I know it's possible for me to do; I'd be so disappointed in myself if I failed at this stage. Did a few classes at gym today and was busted afterwards but that's after nearly 2 hours non stop. It's stamina I'm worried about more than strength.

Are most of the woman failing on the push pull?

It is very possible to do, i was more stressed out about getting there on time than i was the test itself.
    As far as i am aware, and i may be incorrect, I think some ladies who do not have great strength have struggled with the push/pull. I found this the easiest part as i am more fond of strength training as opposed to cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

Is there such a thing as a video showing the PCA? Think previous links have been removed. Being only 5ft3 I would like to see what the push pull looks like. However, I have did a lot of strength training and regular heavy lifting so hoping it won't be too much of a problem for me. Had a break from training recently so need to get stuck back in!

There was a video but i have been trying to find it recently with no luck. I assume it must have been removed. I think you should be fine though as long as you have a semi-decent base level of strength. Just leave a bit in the tank after your circuits so you can do well at it.

Not taking anything away from those who failed, but with all due respect, in my opinion it is much more difficult not to get through than to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

Sofia2011 wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a video showing the PCA? Think previous links have been removed. Being only 5ft3 I would like to see what the push pull looks like. However, I have did a lot of strength training and regular heavy lifting so hoping it won't be too much of a problem for me. Had a break from training recently so need to get stuck back in!

YouTube west midlands police fitness test. That's as close as you'll get. I posted it a while back but if it's been removed I'll avoid re-offending

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

Have many girls passed the
    pca?

Anyone received any pca dates yet? (from last week's pass mail)

• Advertisement

mreilley wrote: »
    Have many girls passed the
    pca?

All the girls at my session passed no problem

Advertisement