Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

All the girls at my session passed no problem

Thanks. Im starting to panic myself as im quite small so i feel abit better knowing girls are getting through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

No no date yet, hoping for post today!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

mreilley wrote: »
    Thanks. Im starting to panic myself as im quite small so i feel abit better knowing girls are getting through.

Don't stress, you will be fine. Most of the guys came out worse for wear than the girls in my session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Don't stress, you will be fine. Most of the guys came out worse for wear than the girls in my session.

Don't be worrying about the PCA, I done it a while back and everyone in our group was panicking! They give you a run through it beforehand so it's a good chance to familiarise yourself with the course if you already haven't done so! The balance beam had me worrying! Set yourself a good pace and avoid any silly errors, stay low for the crawls etc and be careful on the cones! Also for the pushpull put in maximum effort, going faster doesn't score you higher! Any girls doing it just picture an ex bf, should help with the aggression! Lol

Don't be worrying about the PCA, I done it a while back and everyone in our group was panicking! They give you a run through it beforehand so it's a good chance to familiarise yourself with the course if you already haven't done so! The balance beam had me worrying! Set yourself a good pace and avoid any silly errors, stay low for the crawls etc and be careful on the cones! Also for the pushpull put in maximum effort, going faster doesn't score you higher! Any girls doing it just picture an ex bf, should help with the aggression! Lol

Thank u! do they let u have a go at the push/pull in the familarisation? Also for the 5k run, do most people jog it or do they expect a well paced run throughout?

• Advertisement

I agree with everything above. I also highly recommend attending the familiarisation event as it was very beneficial. They show you the course and the push pull machine, and allow you to have a go at everything

Thank u! do they let u have a go at the push/pull in the familarisation? Also for the 5k run, do most people jog it or do they expect a well paced run throughout?

No prob :) yes you get a go at it, they won't tell you your score but they will tell you if your form is ok! Get a run through everything on the actual day of your PCA as well! Just give it loads! There is no 5k run in the PCA, if there was doubt I would have passed! Think they save the running for Garnerville!

No prob :) yes you get a go at it, they won't tell you your score but they will tell you if your form is ok! Get a run through everything on the actual day of your PCA as well! Just give it loads! There is no 5k run in the PCA, if there was doubt I would have passed! Think they save the running for Garnerville!

So is there no run whenever u are doing the actually pca test? i thought i had a 5k, the assualt course and then the push/pull?

No no, definitely no run. The security guards will wind you up saying there is though

So is there no run whenever u are doing the actually pca test? i thought i had a 5k, the assualt course and then the push/pull?

Nope only running you will be doing is throughout the PCA! There is parts of the course where you can sprint to make up time! Couch to 5k was the recommended training along with the circuits! 3laps of the course and 20 seconds on the push pull!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Glad you don't have to run 5k. I couldn't! Again stamina ain't my friend. Doing stuff every night and gyming it now when I can. Cannot wait till it's over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Hi all...don't have much time in work to trawl threads...can anyone let me know the times between getting the pass letter and getting the invite? starting to plan my notice in work and this all helps.

thanks,
    bob

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Bob Law wrote: »
    Hi all...don't have much time in work to trawl threads...can anyone let me know the times between getting the pass letter and getting the invite? starting to plan my notice in work and this all helps.

thanks,
    bob

Think mine was about a week or so bob. Didn't take long at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Think mine was about a week or so bob. Didn't take long at all.

A bit longer than a week maybe 10 days

I have been waiting for over 2 weeks since my PCA for word on my medical. I will have to give at least 1 months notice but I have no intention of handing in my notice in until after the medical. How long do you have to give?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Even if you pass PCA you still have to pass medical which is a few weeks after PCA minimum, vetting, online learning ( which takes a month) and even if you pass all this you still only progress if you're high enough on the merit list! The fact that people are considering handing in their notice baffles me

picture987 wrote: »
    Even if you pass PCA you still have to pass medical which is a few weeks after PCA minimum, vetting, online learning ( which takes a month) and even if you pass all this you still only progress if you're high enough on the merit list! The fact that people are considering handing in their notice baffles me

Same here, I won't even consider handing in my notice until I have the G'ville letter in my hand. I'm sure the PSNI are required to give you a months notice before G'vile so that you can sort out you're life before you enter, I could be wrong but it seems only fair

picture987 wrote: »

didn't say I was handing in my notice, said I was planning for it. my boss is a legend and i'm a pretty vital part of the day to day running of the place. I'd rather give him as much notice as possible instead of walking out with the 2 weeks I need to give and leaving him well boned. by planning I can best let him know of my departure without revealing too early and not leave him stranded #goodguybob

El_Triboy wrote: »
    Same here, I won't even consider handing in my notice until I have the G'ville letter in my hand. I'm sure the PSNI are required to give you a months notice before G'vile so that you can sort out you're life before you enter, I could be wrong but it seems only fair

My mate got 3 weeks notice before he walked in the door. Others have had 2 weeks...not enough time for me to feasible be replaced and taking over my role.

My mate got 3 weeks notice before he walked in the door. Others have had 2 weeks...not enough time for me to feasible be replaced and taking over my role.

That's cutting it tight! Thanks for the heads up, I was a bit naive there so.

• Advertisement

I assumed 4 weeks until I got chatting to a few heads. If they tell me 2 weeks I'll be there with bells on waiting to walk through, but I owe a lot to my current boss #emotionalbob

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

I was talking to 2 cops this evening and they had 4 weeks. You could always contact the psni if the notice is too tight and request to be delayed till a later draft as your contract is 6 weeks notice ;-)

Did we not have to fill in notice period on the initial application?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

TDA2 wrote: »
    I was talking to 2 cops this evening and they had 4 weeks. You could always contact the psni if the notice is too tight and request to be delayed till a later draft as your contract is 6 weeks notice ;-)

Think we did actually. Perhaps it's taken into account when appointing start dates.

I owe a lot to him, I don't love him lol...first draft I'm offered I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

I owe a lot to him, I don't love him lol...first draft I'm offered I'm in.

Well only if you're sure! Lol

I've already got my redundancy in case I pass my ac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

I don't recall that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

I know your mind wouldn't have been on this at the time, but could anyone estimate their time around the PCA course?

I would guess that it would have been somewhere around the 3min to 3min 20sec mark. The fastest ever time is 2mins 35secs but that is seriously fast. A guy in our session had to redo the cones section twice and still passed, it's very do-able

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Waghorn

Can anyone who's been to the PCA describe the 6 foot wall/climb??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

Waghorn wrote: »
    Can anyone who's been to the PCA describe the 6 foot wall/climb??

There's a wall approximately 6ft tall that you have to climb over.

Advertisement