Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Waghorn wrote: »
    Can anyone who's been to the PCA describe the 6 foot wall/climb??

Imagine a wooden box 6ft high with two or three ledges approximately an inch or two wide for your feet. It shouldn't be a problem for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

tony1985 wrote: »
    There's a wall approximately 6ft tall that you have to climb over.

would you definitely advise climbing it or would this be quicker?

http://lessonstream.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Tunnel-painting-200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Waghorn

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

Some of you may come home from work to a little invitation tonight!

Got my PCA letter this morning but it happens to be when im out of the country!

There are no contact details or mention of how to change the date....is anyone aware of who to call? Psni Hr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

Sofia2011 wrote: »
    Some of you may come home from work to a little invitation tonight!

Got my PCA letter this morning but it happens to be when im out of the country!

There are no contact details or mention of how to change the date....is anyone aware of who to call? Psni Hr?

If you call the psni switchboard ask to be put through to OHW thry might be able to help you. However last time it was just two dates available....

• Advertisement

Thanks I'll give it a go...looks like my trip may be cancelled. There goes the other half's birthday pressie...oh dear!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LA1919

Sofia2011 may I ask how far away it is - i.e. do they give you much time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Were you in that 2nd batch of passes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Panic stations! Pca letter today also!!! Nervous.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

aeternus wrote: »
    Panic stations! Pca letter today also!!! Nervous.com!

How long away is the date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

At least 3 weeks notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

19087 wrote: »
    At least 3 weeks notice!

Did you folks get any vetting forms?

Ps. Anyone wanting any tips or slightly better training than that of the pca book pm me! Its one of my current jobs!

Bob Law wrote: »
    Were you in that 2nd batch of passes?

Yes just found out last week.
    Student15...id love some training tips...have a mini gym at home but lacking a plan lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LA1919

Me too Student15....just got my letter in the post :)

I have about a month. Keep having set backs. Little ones been in hospital now too. I WILL do this. Too far now to lose it here but I'm seriously worried about my fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

Got my invite too, been suffering from a cheast infection for a week now hopefully I can shift it before the pca , I'm glad they gave us 3 weeks notice

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

student15 wrote: »
    Did you folks get any vetting forms?

Ps. Anyone wanting any tips or slightly better training than that of the pca book pm me! Its one of my current jobs!

Can i have some tips please! especially for push/pull!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

hi guys, got my pass email last wednesday but havent received a pca invite in the post today, anyone else in the same situation? maybe doing PCA's in batches! hopefully tomorrow i get word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

mreilley wrote: »

The tip is after you push it you pull it and after you pull it you push it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

mreilley wrote: »

Use your body weight and put in maximum effort! Make sure to hit the beeps pushing forward and pulling back! The trainer will show you the correct form and you will have plenty of attempts to practice it on the familiarisation day :)

• Advertisement

Definately pleased about the familiarity session. We all seem to be the sicky bunch! :) hope your chest clears for you soon.

Use your body weight and put in maximum effort! Make sure to hit the beeps pushing forward and pulling back! The trainer will show you the correct form and you will have plenty of attempts to practice it on the familiarisation day :)

Yeah, the one thing I would have to say is do NOT anticipate when the beep is coming. First time I ever did it I missed 3 beeps by trying to be too clever. Keep pushing (or pulling) 'til you hear it.

Got my invite and date today! Happy days, off to circuits now for the next lock of weeks solid!

After working all last night I'm at the gym for 6.45am. Well at least the will is there!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Hey folks for those of you with your pca coming up good luck!
    Get some interval training into you and at a high intensity!
    If you aint sweating and panting at the end of it then you need to ramp it up!

Ps heres the pca in a video that was posted a while back for the first lot of us who did it!
    http://youtu.be/5GkfDxbfI_A
    Hopefully the link works!

student15 wrote: »
    Hey folks for those of you with your pca coming up good luck!
    Get some interval training into you and at a high intensity!
    If you aint sweating and panting at the end of it then you need to ramp it up!

Ps heres the pca in a video that was posted a while back for the first lot of us who did it!
    http://youtu.be/5GkfDxbfI_A
    Hopefully the link works!

Dropped you a PM chum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lolita12345

Can someone clarify the minimum kgs required for push/pull element? Thanks!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

Can someone clarify the minimum kgs required for push/pull element? Thanks!! :)

You need to average 26kg over 20 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lolita12345

hopeful34 wrote: »
    You need to average 26kg over 20 seconds

Thank you so much I had it in my head it was 36kgs so have been training 32kgs this week in the gym, feel more at ease now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Word of caution to you folks waiting to do PCA..

Don't start training like crazy for it now, and DO NOT start a new method of training. The PCA is too close for the benefits of a new training programme to transfer. Whatever you have been doing, keep doing it. If you have been doing nothing, start with something and build gradually.

If you start something new and/or ramp up the training you will very likely be carrying some form of fatigue into the PCA. Also, the risk of injury would be high too.

The week before the PCA taper off your training volume. The PCA is no cakewalk, but it's not difficult either. If you want to pass it, you will; so train smart not hard.

Advertisement