Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Days are hurtling by. Looking forward to familiarisation session, not so much the PCA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

More running tonight...17 mins tonight what took me near 40 a few weeks ago. The fitness really does come quick, so anyone humming and hahhhing about getting out there, get to stepping!

Bob Law wrote: »
    More running tonight...17 mins tonight what took me near 40 a few weeks ago. The fitness really does come quick, so anyone humming and hahhhing about getting out there, get to stepping!

What I would suggest is that anyone who relies on treadmills as opposed to outdoor running tries a pair of nike free shoes, or NB minimus. You don't have to worry about weird camber of roads or pavements, and they help with a natural gait. Especially for guys who do a lot of upper body weights.

They may well change your running style a bit, you might well run with a shorter, quicker stride, but I found that I could run in them easier after a weights session than with overly padded shoes. Great for the beach too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

What I would suggest is that anyone who relies on treadmills as opposed to outdoor running tries a pair of nike free shoes, or NB minimus. You don't have to worry about weird camber of roads or pavements, and they help with a natural gait. Especially for guys who do a lot of upper body weights.

They may well change your running style a bit, you might well run with a shorter, quicker stride, but I found that I could run in them easier after a weights session than with overly padded shoes. Great for the beach too.

All good and well, however pca is not held outdoor, and I strongly suggest that distance running will not help you pass it. Circuits and anaerobic work required to pass

I've flat feet and I'm hefty, I just wear a pair of ascics (sic) with a good arch in them, shins and calves feel way better. Just you saying the beach there...sand running is some craic!

Outside in general is better for everything...plus you can see all the headcases out in Belfast having the craic. Seen some lad having a good argument with a fence earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

Not long now til the familiarisation session for some of us! Anyone know if we park outside and walk up to the gate or can you drive in?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

Sofia2011 wrote: »
    Not long now til the familiarisation session for some of us! Anyone know if we park outside and walk up to the gate or can you drive in?

I'm pretty sure u drive in. You just have to bring your id and letter with you!

mreilley wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure u drive in. You just have to bring your id and letter with you!

Thanks I thought that was the case.
    Hope everyones training is going well!!

Be good to see what we are facing! I had a dream about it last night. Really can't get it out of my head. Looking forward to it. The actual PCA; not so much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

You drive in, I seen people who didn't drive come in, their driver drove in and dropped them off and turned and went straight back out. You cannot enter by foot at that gate as far as I know.

• Advertisement

No matter how much I warm up, stretch, warm down etc lately my legs and knees have been pretty sore. Getting a bit frustrating now. Any advice? It was road running that did it I think. Don't really have the time to back off training. have avoided running outside the past few days.

Thanks I thought that was the case.
    Hope everyones training is going well!!

What type of training have u been doing for the push/pull?

What type of training have u been doing for the push/pull?

Luckily I naturally seem to have good upper body strength. I have been a regular gym goer now for about 3 years and started strength training last summer with a PT.

Had a break for a few months recently though but back at the weights. Ive been doing a lot of upper body workouts with dumb bells and super setting. For example chest press with flys, or bicep curls and tricep extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

aeternus wrote: »
    No matter how much I warm up, stretch, warm down etc lately my legs and knees have been pretty sore. Getting a bit frustrating now. Any advice? It was road running that did it I think. Don't really have the time to back off training. have avoided running outside the past few days.

Firstly, what is your flexibility 'training' like? You should be doing flexibility work every day. Static stretching after every session, where you hold each stretch for anywhere between 15-30 secs. You should be stretching aside from before and after training.

Also, look into myofascial release through foam rolling or sports massage.

To me it sounds like your legs and knees are sore due to tight quadriceps and hip flexors, very common complaint. And/Or you are doing too much training too soon. This is also a common reason for leg pain, training loads increasing too quickly leads to muscular, joint etc pain.

My advice would be twofold: reduce training load and introduce 2x daily stretching/foam rolling routines!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Looking through my paper work here and seem to have misplaced my invite letter to the PCA. Do you think they will let me attend the familiarisation session without it and just bringing ID and a print out of the assessment centre pass email? Hopefully can get another sent out before the actual PCA.

Belfastm wrote: »
    Looking through my paper work here and seem to have misplaced my invite letter to the PCA. Do you think they will let me attend the familiarisation session without it and just bringing ID and a print out of the assessment centre pass email? Hopefully can get another sent out before the actual PCA.

If I remember correctly it states you won't be let in without the invite letter and id. It's the same requirements for the actual PCA

It's absolutely my fault as my gym time is precious, I work a lot and have a little one so once my training for the day is over I'm usually running around doing various other bits and bobs. I have also upped my workouts lately, and do a few hours at a time when I can.

My gym recently put up posters on sports massage, think I will definately look into it and take on board what you have said. This morning I'm feeling good though - I did quite a lot of stretching before bed and it seems to have helped.

Thanks!

Luckily I naturally seem to have good upper body strength. I have been a regular gym goer now for about 3 years and started strength training last summer with a PT.

Had a break for a few months recently though but back at the weights. Ive been doing a lot of upper body workouts with dumb bells and super setting. For example chest press with flys, or bicep curls and tricep extensions.

Yeah same im training 6 days a week just praying it will be enough to get me through! are u lifting heavy?

Yeah same im training 6 days a week just praying it will be enough to get me through! are u lifting heavy?

6 days is great! I'm sure you will be fine...I haven't pushed myself to my limits yet as I'm only back training recently but it's amazing how quickly you see your old shape return!

Prior to taking a break I was deadlifting 60kg (bodyweight 55kg) and squatting 40kg (this was just over a short period of strength training). Aiming to build back up to this and more over the next few months.

I don't think we should worry too much about the push/pull, but we will see this week for ourselves :)

6 days is great! I'm sure you will be fine...I haven't pushed myself to my limits yet as I'm only back training recently but it's amazing how quickly you see your old shape return!

Prior to taking a break I was deadlifting 60kg (bodyweight 55kg) and squatting 40kg (this was just over a short period of strength training). Aiming to build back up to this and more over the next few months.

I don't think we should worry too much about the push/pull, but we will see this week for ourselves :)

Yeah im pretty much the same as you! im trying to increase the amount of reps i can do every week the weight that challenges me the most. Yes hopefully! i'm looking forward to having a go on it
    as im quite small so i wanna see how much height actually affects you when u train lol

• Advertisement

Yeah im pretty much the same as you! im trying to increase the amount of reps i can do every week the weight that challenges me the most. Yes hopefully! i'm looking forward to having a go on it
    as im quite small so i wanna see how much height actually affects you when u train lol

Yep I'm a shorty too but people should not underestimate us :D I'm actually more worried about the wall climb to be honest!

Yep I'm a shorty too but people should not underestimate us :D I'm actually more worried about the wall climb to be honest!

Yes i agree! lol i think the way should be ok they are ledges which help you up so i think it shouldn't be too bad! I'd say ur adrenalin on the day wont be a bad thing either and will push u further lol

Seriously folks, you're over thinking it!!

Anyone for the Belfast Fam this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ploddington Pea

Don't quote dates bob, self edit that out if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ploddington Pea

Yes bob, can't wait.

Yes Bob, looking forward it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Do you think arriving in tracksuit/trainers for the familiarisation session will be acceptable? As I don't think trying our hand at some of the obstacles in a suit would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

Do you think arriving in tracksuit/trainers for the familiarisation session will be acceptable? As I don't think trying our hand at some of the obstacles in a suit would work.

Its says to wear appropriate clothing so tracksuits ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

Is this a serious question?
    If so, I'd imagine that yes, for a physical assessment familiarisation event, you should wear something suited to doing physical exercise.

Advertisement