Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Well I'm fully expecting attempting to try out some of the course if allowed so I'll be wearing gym gear. I don't think they are looking for you to be suited and booted for a physical test familiarisation session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

aeternus wrote: »
    Well I'm fully expecting attempting to try out some of the course if allowed so I'll be wearing gym gear. I don't think they are looking for you to be suited and booted for a physical test familiarisation session!

They will give you the opportunity to try all the obstacles but not a complete lap. So where what you will wear for the pca itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

What session are most people going to tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

Probably going to the middle session. Should be ok for traffic im guessing. Are we kept for a full two hours?

Sofia2011 wrote: »
    Probably going to the middle session. Should be ok for traffic im guessing. Are we kept for a full two hours?

I'd say once they have went over it and u've had a few goes u are allowed to leave whenever you want? I'm going to the morning one so ill let you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

hopeful34 wrote: »
    They will give you the opportunity to try all the obstacles but not a complete lap. So where what you will wear for the pca itself.
    We were allowed to complete a lap. Don't know where you got that information. We couldn't time ourselves but everyone basically went round in the order you are supposed to and completed a lap.
    I myself went round quite a few times. Also took time on different stations I thought might cause me a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

Jb12345 wrote: »
    We were allowed to complete a lap. Don't know where you got that information. We couldn't time ourselves but everyone basically went round in the order you are supposed to and completed a lap.
    I myself went round quite a few times. Also took time on different stations I thought might cause me a problem.

We weren't at my session.

I completed about 4 laps and did the push pull about 4 times also. Glad I went. Wish they had a push pull at the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

I completed about 4 laps and did the push pull about 4 times also. Glad I went. Wish they had a push pull at the gym.

I was very lucky that the sports centre im involved with has a very similar push pull machine for me to have the confidence to do the test!!!!

student15 wrote: »
    I was very lucky that the sports centre im involved with has a very similar push pull machine for me to have the confidence to do the test!!!!

What sports centre do you go to? I thought the psni were the only place that had a machine like that?

• Advertisement

I wish I knew what I was hitting. I really would love to be able to practice more. Very lucky student15.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LA1919

R u able to try the 6ft wall?

LA1919 wrote: »
    R u able to try the 6ft wall?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

mreilley wrote: »
    What sports centre do you go to? I thought the psni were the only place that had a machine like that?

Sports institute Northern Ireland (SINI) have a similar machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Anyone from here at the evening familiarization session? I would say there were at least 70 people there, if not more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Crackin wee night. Did 3 laps, did the obstacles a few more times on their own and push / pull was a gift. Really pleased to have had the opportunity to try.

Too many morons there last night though. One girl scooped with a stopwatch, people there in their normal clothes and winging that the didn't know they had to wear or bring sportskit, nevermind the sheer amount of people that seemed to be taking the piss out the obstacles.

Very good mix of male/female but I did note there wasn't a lot of ones in the 30+ bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

Bob Law wrote: »
    Crackin wee night. Did 3 laps, did the obstacles a few more times on their own and push / pull was a gift. Really pleased to have had the opportunity to try.

Too many morons there last night though. One girl scooped with a stopwatch, people there in their normal clothes and winging that the didn't know they had to wear or bring sportskit, nevermind the sheer amount of people that seemed to be taking the piss out the obstacles.

Very good mix of male/female but I did note there wasn't a lot of ones in the 30+ bracket.

If I hear of one more person having passed the AC and not having the common sense to wear sports stuff to a sports based activity, and I fail my AC I will cry..

Bob Law wrote: »

Wow someone actually brought a stopwatch even though the instructions clearly state you cannot time yourself etc... Was she asked to leave or just a telling off?

Crazy that people don't have the sense to wear appropriate clothes.

I find that odd. At our session I watched a lot of folk timing themselves and each other. I didn't bring anything but had a good attempt at it all. Everyone was dressed in sports gear and everyone attempted everything. Really good crowd. It even states on the letter to wear training gear!

I hurt my knee training on Saturday. Concerned now. Not long and can do very little. Should have taken heed and listened to those of you saying to not do too much. Never had a sore knee in my life! Sods law!

At mine there were loads timing themselves with stopwatches on their watch? surely at every session people would have been doing that.

• Advertisement

You must have been at mine mreilly.

You must have been at mine mreilly.

I went to the morning session. is that the one you attended?

Maybe not, it was afternoon. Seems odd though some are saying the weren't allowed to do certain things or stopped from doing certain things but our lot had pretty much free reign and the only thing some people were stopped doing was looking at the push pull result screen. Most of the girls were concerned about push pull as you have no indication. The course was a lot less iformidable to look at than I imagined. Hoe did you findu

Maybe not, it was afternoon. Seems odd though some are saying the weren't allowed to do certain things or stopped from doing certain things but our lot had pretty much free reign and the only thing some people were stopped doing was looking at the push pull result screen. Most of the girls were concerned about push pull as you have no indication. The course was a lot less iformidable to look at than I imagined. Hoe did you findu

Yeah well people were definitely timing themselves in the morning one. Yeah i enjoyed it i didn't do a lap of the course i just focused on a few things that i was a bit worried about like the wall, but it was fine! i was more worried about the push/pull but i feel alot better now having tried it and knowing what way to position myself for it. how did u find it?

Apologies I don't know what happened to my previous post and my phone won't let me edit the spelling. I tried the wall about 4 times, I think by the last lap it might be a bit difficult but I found everything very doable and didn't knock a cone or bar. I couldn't really go full pelt however because of my knee. Feeling much better today though so hoping it will feel fine on the test day!

I'm uncertain about the push pull, I gave it my best every time. The instructor kept telling me to hang off it but said I did over 20 seconds each time. It's difficult to judge though as you aren't given a score. I am more nervous about this than any other phase of the selection process though.

Apologies I don't know what happened to my previous post and my phone won't let me edit the spelling. I tried the wall about 4 times, I think by the last lap it might be a bit difficult but I found everything very doable and didn't knock a cone or bar. I couldn't really go full pelt however because of my knee. Feeling much better today though so hoping it will feel fine on the test day!

I'm uncertain about the push pull, I gave it my best every time. The instructor kept telling me to hang off it but said I did over 20 seconds each time. It's difficult to judge though as you aren't given a score. I am more nervous about this than any other phase of the selection process though.

Yeah i just plan of pacing myself and then making up time when you can run between objects and sprint at the end. A lot of people in the morning one were saying that the 60% of people who have done the pca have failed it which i suppose is good for us but also bad because what are they all failing on?!

mreilley wrote: »
    Yeah i just plan of pacing myself and then making up time when you can run between objects and sprint at the end. A lot of people in the morning one were saying that the 60% of people who have done the pca have failed it which i suppose is good for us but also bad because what are they all failing on?!
    Jeez 60%?where they get that figure. Most people that I spoke to in my session passed and I bumped into them again at the medical which was nice to see familiar faces again. I can't imagine it being that many. If it is they will struggle to get numbers big time.
    I went at a steady pace. You will be tired even coming into the second lap. The air is really dry in there. Takes it out of you. But as long as you are steady and careful you will be fine. You have nearly 4 mins which is loads of time.

Oh dear, that is an incredible amount. I can't wait until it is over, but if I walk out of there with a fail I have no idea what to do. I'll give it my very best shot. 4 minutes to change your life forever potentially!

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Jeez 60%?where they get that figure. Most people that I spoke to in my session passed and I bumped into them again at the medical which was nice to see familiar faces again. I can't imagine it being that many. If it is they will struggle to get numbers big time.
    I went at a steady pace. You will be tired even coming into the second lap. The air is really dry in there. Takes it out of you. But as long as you are steady and careful you will be fine. You have nearly 4 mins which is loads of time.

I have no idea i just heard a few people discussing it. How did u find going from the course straight to the push/pull? The pti's said that was how people who had failed were failing as they weren't fit enough to recover in time for the push/pull straight after.

• Advertisement

One of the trainers yesterday said 'if you jog you will fail.' a lot if people have said pace yourself and go full pelt on the straights. I'm still trying to glean what she meant by that.

Advertisement