Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

.S. wrote: »
    Right people, this wall is on my mind, the people who've passed already, did anyone practise getting over a wall at home? I'm a 5'6 girl and thinking I need to get some practise in somehow..? It's the only thing I feel I haven't prepared for..
    Seriously.. it's not hard! There are 2 ledges to use, combined with momentum the wall is actually one of the easier parts! Use it to catch your breath.

Anyone doing their PCA soon; the PCA is not difficult! It does not require any technical or skill training. An average level of fitness will see you over the line.

You WILL be exhausted after it. The push/pull WILL challenge you after the 3 laps. But the PCA is NOT difficult!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Good to know how many ledges, ta. I hit the gym at least 5x a week, 3x with a pt, in my head I know I'm doing all I can to prepare but I can't fail on the PCA, won't let myself. Thinking about having the strength for push pull after my laps too. PT has seen the plan he should keep me right but.. Wanna do all I can to prepare I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Good to know how many ledges, ta. I hit the gym at least 5x a week, 3x with a pt, in my head I know I'm doing all I can to prepare but I can't fail on the PCA, won't let myself. Thinking about having the strength for push pull after my laps too. PT has seen the plan he should keep me right but.. Wanna do all I can to prepare I suppose
    You have the fitness, so just get your head in game mode. Go crush it!

If you want to pass, you will pass!

Thank you, needed that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

I got over the wall no problem 4 times and that was with a very painful knee injury - it's honestly not a problem and when you see the course you will feel relieved. It's very doable - I am very doubtful myself on passing but with the amount of training you are putting in I do not see you having an issue at all.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for both of us aeternus! Guess I'm more nervous now actually doing the PCA could well be a reality!

Ps. You rest up, give yourself the best chance

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mreilley

I ur pca coming up soon?

I feel the exact same at the moment i'm hitting the gym 6 times a week twice with a pt and then 3 times with them for one last push. I know i can do it i just wish it was over already! lol

Only got ac results this week so haven't heard, just thinking ahead! Have you got yours?

Only got ac results this week so haven't heard, just thinking ahead! Have you got yours?

Yes i have mine coming up, having one last big push with my training! you will be grand if your doing all that! good luck for whenever yours is!

• Advertisement

Thank you, let us know how you get on well, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciara3t

hey guys,

I was due to do my fitness test very soon but am just out of hospital (had to get an emergency operation cos my appendix nearly burst) and doesnt look like il be able to do it :( so disappointed cos was all set and the timing for this appendicits could not have been worse! It does say on the letter that they might reschedule in 'exceptional circumstances', does anyone have any idea, who to contact or how?? Sorry sounds like a stupid question, just couldnt see anything on the letter. Ye can PM me if you dont want to put it up here.

Best of luck to everyone else, I'm sure yel have no problem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

I would advise ringing through to the switchboard and asking for someone from Occupational Health regarding recruitment. They will direct you from there. Sorry to hear the bad news.

I have my pca this week, and to say I'm concerned about the push/pull would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

See for the push pull, grab a big belly full of air to brace your core, a handy description is "breath into yer balls lad"...or feet if you lack the danglies.

Once you had this air braced you should feel nice and tight in the mid section, grab the f**ker and squeeze as hard as you can, this will activate muscles you didn't even know you had.

Stagger your stance, I prefer right foot back, left foot forward.

Push forward with everything in your might til the beep then pull back as hard as you can. Breath out on the return leg, pull air in and push with all your might agaiN!!

Do that for 20 seconds and you'll be fine. You really need to engage your mind to do some hard work and put everything you had into it, pretend it's some rocket with a knife about the stab you and you'll soon be pushing hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciara3t

did you go to the familiarisation day? I bet youll be fine on the day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Bob Law wrote: »
    See for the push pull, grab a big belly full of air to brace your core, a handy description is "breath into yer balls lad"...or feet if you lack the danglies.

Once you had this air braced you should feel nice and tight in the mid section, grab the f**ker and squeeze as hard as you can, this will activate muscles you didn't even know you had.

Stagger your stance, I prefer right foot back, left foot forward.

Push forward with everything in your might til the beep then pull back as hard as you can. Breath out on the return leg, pull air in and push with all your might agaiN!!

Do that for 20 seconds and you'll be fine. You really need to engage your mind to do some hard work and put everything you had into it, pretend it's some rocket with a knife about the stab you and you'll soon be pushing hard enough.

^^^^^^

Love this!!! Good description!

Have u passed the fitness BobLaw?

As above, great description Bob, assume you've passed and all, if you haven't you deserve to just for that description :-P

fitness is this week but I did the fam and went round and round then smoked the push pull. i'm nervous like anyone else, but it's more anticipation. i believe i can pass and I know i will. i failed a fitness test years ago and it was the worst feeling of my life, will never happen again, i'll pass out from lack of air beforehand.

cant get the shift to work properly so poor i's aren't looking as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

How many people attend pca session and how long are you likely to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

How many people attend pca session and how long are you likely to be there.

The first pca had 6 sessions with between 15-17 people at each. You were told to allow 2hrs for your session. They run alphabetically so depends where you are when you go. Once you are done they wait for a group of 5-6 and they leave together. There is a familiarisation session to start before the pca starts. So if you are in first group you could be there an hour or longer if you aren't in first 6.

Hope that helps

Bob did you get the delay email then, no?

No I passed 2nd batch when the delay emails were sent out.

Cool, just checking incase delay people got their invite and all (paranoia lol), good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭coogie_boogie

I have my PCA this week and just wanted to check that at Garnerville there is a changing room facility to use before / after the PCA? I don’t want to turn up just wearing my shorts and t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

I have my PCA this week and just wanted to check that at Garnerville there is a changing room facility to use before / after the PCA? I don’t want to turn up just wearing my shorts and t-shirt!
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

Has anyone who got their pass email last Tuesday had an invite for PCA yet??

Has anyone who got their pass email last Tuesday had an invite for PCA yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Not me but got my vetting forms on Friday

• Advertisement

Haven't received a thing yet, worried incase it has went to my old address, even though I changed my address on the application last Tuesday when I got the pass email.

Advertisement