Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

You find out on the day, you'll get a letter which you aren't allowed to open until you're off the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭coogie_boogie

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Well done Bob and 19087 :-D

.S. wrote: »
    Well done Bob and 19087 :-D

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Thanks all! Still a bit sore in the chest today, turns out I had a lung infection...ended up in A&E getting an xray! If I can get my hefty self round with a dose of lungitits you should all be ok!

• Advertisement

From what I've heard there are around 100 people doing PCA this week. With 100 having done it before that still leaves plenty of opportunity for the B graders etc, especially when you take into account the numbers that will fail each of the remaining stages!

I also heard a rumor yesterday that only 40 people from the first batch passed the PCA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

19087 wrote: »
    From what I've heard there are around 100 people doing PCA this week. With 100 having done it before that still leaves plenty of opportunity for the B graders etc, especially when you take into account the numbers that will fail each of the remaining stages!

I also heard a rumor yesterday that only 40 people from the first batch passed the PCA!

I find it very hard to believe that the PCA has a 60% failure rate at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

That's incorrect as over 60 people completed medicals from first batch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

I think approx 67 passed first set of pca's (goin on previous posters). However it is still good news for the B's as there should be plenty of spaces left out of the 378

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

Newbie to this, wish I had found it earlier!! Congrats to everyone so far!!

I'm up very very soon for pca. Bit concerned at the number of females failing it. This is passable isn't it?! Help!! 😩

• Advertisement

221988 wrote: »
    Newbie to this, wish I had found it earlier!! Congrats to everyone so far!!

I'm up very very soon for pca. Bit concerned at the number of females failing it. This is passable isn't it?! Help!! 😩

For sure it is, as long as you give it everything you've got!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

For sure it is, as long as you give it everything you've got!

Thanks. I wasn't half as nervous for the ist or ac compared to what I am now!! I'll be devastated if it's bad news...as I'm sure everyone here would be!! Fingers and toes crossed for everyone, it's getting so close!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

They must all be boardies if that is true.

Good few failed our PCA on Monday. I's say 5 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

Bob Law wrote: »

All females or were there any males who failed

Bob Law wrote: »

I would say it could have been as many as half the group failed on Monday afternoon

Our morning session was 1/2 male 1/2 female pretty even and I know 1 girl who failed, another one failed as we left the centre and a few more in the carpark were distressed. Don't think any of the fellas failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

How did you prepare night before pca bob law? Take it easy? Last min jog?

I'm not Bob, but I'll answer anyway! I took several days off before mine - fresh legs all the way!

Night before? I had a glass of whiskey to calm my nerves a bit and had an early night. Last bit of physical exercise I took was on the Thursday so I would have fresh legs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ploddington Pea

221988 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wasn't half as nervous for the ist or ac compared to what I am now!! I'll be devastated if it's bad news...as I'm sure everyone here would be!! Fingers and toes crossed for everyone, it's getting so close!

If you cross your fingers and toes you'll fall over and fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

I notice that people are able to say that they failed the push/pull or the circuit – do the letters in this batch give you your push/pull score and circuit time? The first batch only got a pass/fail indication.

I notice that people are able to say that they failed the push/pull or the circuit – do the letters in this batch give you your push/pull score and circuit time? The first batch only got a pass/fail indication.

Certainly no such info for passers - the letter literally just says pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lolita12345

I would say it could have been as many as half the group failed on Monday afternoon

I second that.. Most off us girls failed on Monday afternoon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lac123

Can anyone shed light as to why so many girls seem to be failing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

Not hitting enough kgs in the push pull I think

It doesn't seem to be one part or the other, as I've seen girls saying they passed one but not the other. It's just quite a physically demanding test so with the same pass mark for male and female, it's fairly inevitable that more girls will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

I would guess that the psni will look at changing or removing the pca next recruitment as so many females not getting through

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lac123

Thanks everyone for replying so quick! Surely if you have a good level of fitness and lift heavy enough weights you would pass though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Lolita12345

Lac123 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for replying so quick! Surely if you have a good level of fitness and lift heavy enough weights you would pass though?

I have trained heavily since Jan lifting heavy, I'm quite small so when doing the push/pull as it's a fixed height it seems trying to engage your core and to use your body weight is more difficult for smaller people. I felt the pressure around my arms and chest more which didn't give me enough core/body strength to push harder, I was pushing with my hands above chest level, where as taller people push with their hands at lower chest level which enables them to engage better! You'll be fine stay positive and just give it everything you've got!! Some girls have got through so use that as a positive thing when your doing it :) good luck!!

Advertisement