Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

I'm just going to give my opinion on something I've noticed from some previous posters..

If you pass the PCA, well done. That is great stuff. But you shouldn't stop training or level off. If you want to be in GV, then your training needs to continue and you need to get fitter!! Fitness shouldn't be a 'tick the box' exercise for this campaign. In my opinion, whoever gets into GV should be at their physical peak when they walk in the gates. No excuse not to be.

For anyone reading this in the delay group, you have NO excuse to fail the PCA. Get training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

How do you know people are stopping training now? We were all given the expected fitness in the pamphlet. I'd expect everyone would be continuing the training along those lines.

In the past I've seen a few people saying they were happy not to have to go training anymore (This was a while back). I'm not for one second assuming anyone will stop training. But it's possible! Just a bit of friendly advice, I've seen it happen in other jobs/roles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

whatinthe wrote: »
    I'm just going to give my opinion on something I've noticed from some previous posters..

If you pass the PCA, well done. That is great stuff. But you shouldn't stop training or level off. If you want to be in GV, then your training needs to continue and you need to get fitter!! Fitness shouldn't be a 'tick the box' exercise for this campaign. In my opinion, whoever gets into GV should be at their physical peak when they walk in the gates. No excuse not to be.

For anyone reading this in the delay group, you have NO excuse to fail the PCA. Get training. :)

i concur---should be normal routine to be training as much as possible anyways -- unless of course you are gonna sit eating doughnuts all day!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

I passed pca this morning and at my age I am not at my peak of fitness and nor will I be ever again.

• Advertisement

well done!....another "slightly more matured" person like myself! glad to hear it!!

vickmackey wrote: »
    well done!....another "slightly more matured" person like myself! glad to hear it!!

More over the hill. Tried in last campaign but plug was pulled on it before I got a call. Hopefully better luck this time. Glad to hear its not all kids. Heard someone turned up at pca on mon in their school uniform which makes me feel ancient

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sgt Hooks

More over the hill. Tried in last campaign but plug was pulled on it before I got a call. Hopefully better luck this time. Glad to hear its not all kids. Heard someone turned up at pca on mon in their school uniform which makes me feel ancient

Glad to hear I'm not the only one older than most on here!! :)

I passed pca this morning and at my age I am not at my peak of fitness and nor will I be ever again.
    Why not? What's stopping you?

Well done on passing. Great stuff.

know what you mean...:)
    i would go in my uniform, but might get arrested!!! besides, think it would look a bit strange on me after 26 years!:eek:

• Advertisement

Sgt Hooks wrote: »
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one older than most on here!! :)
    maybe we'll start an "old timers thread"!! ;):D

Or we could meet up at bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

what will be the minimum age for this old timers thread?

Or we could meet up at bingo

stop it!!! the excitement is killing me!! :D

missyme82 wrote: »
    what will be the minimum age for this old timers thread?

:confused: cant remember! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sgt Hooks

Ha, Ha! Love it :D

If you can remember when you left school then you're not eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

Passed, afternoon session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

Any gals pass the afternoon sesh today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭coogie_boogie

Passed morning session :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Congrats ppl!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Still no word of any failures today on here! Well done everyone.

Congrats to all those through so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Failed today by 3 seconds. Passed push pull. Never hit a cone or missed a target, just ended up slowing up on the last lap.

I gave it my all. I thought of my wee one the whole way through. I knew before I opened the letter I'd failed by the thickness of the envelope. It was sunny enough I saw the result through the paper on the way down to the car.

Truly gutted. Good luck all. I don't think I'll be doing it again in fairness. It's my first shot but to come this far and fail on 3 seconds... I don't think my heart woulet be in it again.

Nice getting to know some of yous through this experience. Was a life long dream for me but I gave it my best.

To anyone who done it today I noticed a few people waving in cars but only noticed afterwards so I am sorry, was just in a little world of my own. Glad yous made it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

Keep your head up aeternus. Look how far you got this time around and its only your first attempt. I know people who have tried 3 or 4 times and not got as far, so you should be proud of that. Who knows when the next campaign comes back around you might have the drive for it again.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Thank you. At least in any case I have a fitness target. Maybe sometime in the next few years I'll have the will to do it all again.

The air in that hall is shocking as a word of warning, I've went in with a healthy pair of lungs and come out with a wheeze!

Best of luck e everyone.

aeternus wrote: »
    Failed today by 3 seconds. Passed push pull. Never hit a cone or missed a target, just ended up slowing up on the last lap.

I gave it my all. I thought of my wee one the whole way through. I knew before I opened the letter I'd failed by the thickness of the envelope. It was sunny enough I saw the result through the paper on the way down to the car.

Truly gutted. Good luck all. I don't think I'll be doing it again in fairness. It's my first shot but to come this far and fail on 3 seconds... I don't think my heart woulet be in it again.

Nice getting to know some of yous through this experience. Was a life long dream for me but I gave it my best.

To anyone who done it today I noticed a few people waving in cars but only noticed afterwards so I am sorry, was just in a little world of my own. Glad yous made it :)

sorry to hear that, and fair play to you for coming on this forum to be so honest! -- take time and gather yourself ....you are now miles ahead of the rest in any new campaign, so dont rule it out! i'm 42, so if dont get in (which is a strong possibility), at least I know thats me out for good as getting a bit over the hill!;).... if you are under 40, do not give up on your dream, if you want in, as I regret not applying last few times it was out.
    best of luck no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

I failed mine too aeternus.

Kicker. So near, yet so far. Good luck to everyone who has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

Hard luck guys just keep trying and you'll do better next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

sorry to hear that aeternus but if you dont believe you will attempt another campaign maybe this is a lucky escape for you as if you're not willing to keep going maybe becoming a police officer is not the right path for you. I know how disheartened you are, this is at least my sixth campaign, i say think as i have literally lost count, but its what i want to do and it is like a kick in the teeth each time, some of us on these boards must feel we are becoming lifers in the also ran category. I know a fella who took 16 attempts before he got the job, talk about resilience. if its meant to be, it will be whether its on your first, sixth of sixteenth application!

3 seconds is so little and if this is your first time, take it as a learning experience, dust yourself off and try again if its really what you want. hell im using this as a learning curve as it is so different from past campaigns and fully expect to be applying next time round again

chin up

Advertisement