Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

sorry to hear! i failed mine too on wednesday..

had 22 secs to spare on circuit
    scored 25kg on push pull, 1kg off!
    gutted to say least, had an A grade too.

Maybe they may lower the kg score on push pull for females as not many women are passing?

anyone think there is any chance of this?

wont stop trying, next recruitment campaign i will not fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Or maybe I'm just gutted. I'm not generally a giver upper ever, but 8 months and 3 seconds has been a bit of a blow.

I see I'm not the only one in this boat though.

Just voicing my thoughts.

the411 wrote: »
    I failed mine too aeternus.

Kicker. So near, yet so far. Good luck to everyone who has passed.

Did you fail today too? Not sure how many sessions there are each day. Wondering if you were in my group.

Ha ha, I must be a tortoise. I managed to fall over jumping off the wall the first time round. Got straight back up but felt a bit winded. How I even managed that I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

lying down on the crawl mats??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

So sorry to hear that aeternus. Know you were worried about your knee too. If you want this job don't rule the next time out. Know you're gutted, but see how you feel next time. The ac is the toughest bit and you passed, you got to a stage hundreds didn't. Chin up xo

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

Has anyone in the delay group not had an invite to pca or vetting forms??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

DaveNi wrote: »
    Has anyone in the delay group not had an invite to pca or vetting forms??

I don't think anyone in delay group has had pca invite, only people scoring over 67 have had vetting forms as far as I'm aware

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lolita12345

aeternus wrote: »
    Thank you. At least in any case I have a fitness target. Maybe sometime in the next few years I'll have the will to do it all again.

The air in that hall is shocking as a word of warning, I've went in with a healthy pair of lungs and come out with a wheeze!

Best of luck e everyone.

I was the same came out wheezing and thought I could taste blood in my mouth, turns out nearly everyone had that horrible blood taste in their mouths!!
    Well done on getting this far though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

Here's a random, possibly silly question, I know it's all about fitness etc, buts what the average age/weight/gender of everyone who has passed the pca?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

DaveNi wrote: »
    Here's a random, possibly silly question, I know it's all about fitness etc, buts what the average age/weight/gender of everyone who has passed the pca?

More males than females passed. In my session everyone looked relatively fit i.e. no one looked too overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Ok so this may be a silly question but on the push pull you have to do 26kg, and I assume when you hit this you get a beep. So if someone failed it would they not already know as there wernt say the 20beeps they were to hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Constablemaybe

Sgtmort wrote: »
    Ok so this may be a silly question but on the push pull you have to do 26kg, and I assume when you hit this you get a beep. So if someone failed it would they not already know as there wernt say the 20beeps they were to hear?

There is a beep at both ends no matter what! Watch the video of the link below it's pretty much indentical and has the same push/pull machine!

http://youtu.be/-XlWiQdwnlA

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

What did you fail on the411 if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Charlie211 wrote: »

Maybe they may lower the kg score on push pull for females as not many women are passing?

Don't want to burst your bubble, but I very much doubt that will happen. I think it will be a case of you either meet the required standard or you don't. Dropping it for females leaves them wide open for men who failed by 1kg to make a case of discrimination as everyone is required to do the same job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 burgerburger

wont stop trying, next recruitment campaign i will not fail

I personally think it would be ridiculous if they dropped the requirement for females. Strength is not something you are born with, it is something you work and train for, so everybody has an equal opportunity to pass IF they put the work in. I'm a female, I passed, once I knew that PCA was a requirement I put in the training, no excuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Sdcharger

I did pass pca however I went in with perfect health and came out with taste of blood in throat and chesty cough still have it and i did the test on wednesday. Must be really poor airconditiong/recirculated air or something. Needs to be looked at.

Bare in mind there are some people who did put the effort in and still failed based on unfortunate circumstances. Some comments on this forum over the past weeks have been mind boggling.

Sdcharger I agree, 2 people with lung chest infections this week after pca and myself now have a rattle in my chest immediately after pca completion. Definitely something that needs investigated.

Add me to the list of chesty coughs that only started after pca! Psni if you're reading this, you may want to get the air sampled or something!

I need to stop counting out 3 seconds. :(

Definitely. There's something very ominous about the air in that hall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

19087 wrote: »
    Add me to the list of chesty coughs that only started after pca! Psni if you're reading this, you may want to get the air sampled or something!

What you are referring to is commonly known in the force as 'iron lung'. I had it after my pca and spoke to a serving officer and wad told this.

It goes away after a day or two

gmck26 wrote: »

It goes away after a day or two

Not mine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

I've been left with what I think is a throat infection after my PCA. Started off as a bit of a cough, now it's just agony to swallow.

Prior to it I has no complains and certainly didn't have any symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ClareRose47

Sdcharger wrote: »
    I did pass pca however I went in with perfect health and came out with taste of blood in throat and chesty cough still have it and i did the test on wednesday. Must be really poor airconditiong/recirculated air or something. Needs to be looked at.

Yep count me in in the group too - Also felt like I had a burning windpipe and a blood taste in my mouth.

Now have a bad cough and haven't been well all week between headaches and an upper respiratory tract infection.

Would love to know what the outcome of the male/female pass rate ratio for the PCA is.

As mentioned before, the police need women and if this is going to be a problem then it definitely needs to be assessed - for example reducing the force required for a woman or making the machine height adjustable.

Taller people and men are distinctly advantaged. I myself missed out by 3 kg on the push pull, having cleared the circuit with 10 secs to spare, and scored an A grade...also having trained hard and been lifting weights for a long time.

To say it doesn't seem right is an understatement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

With you there clare rose. Discriminatory towards women. No woman who isn't heavy built could ace the push pull

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Yep count me in in the group too - Also felt like I had a burning windpipe and a blood taste in my mouth.

Now have a bad cough and haven't been well all week between headaches and an upper respiratory tract infection.

Would love to know what the outcome of the male/female pass rate ratio for the PCA is.

As mentioned before, the police need women and if this is going to be a problem then it definitely needs to be assessed - for example reducing the force required for a woman or making the machine height adjustable.

Taller people and men are distinctly advantaged. I myself missed out by 3 kg on the push pull, having cleared the circuit with 10 secs to spare, and scored an A grade...also having trained hard and been lifting weights for a long time.

To say it doesn't seem right is an understatement!

Have to say I disagree. If you're dealing with a violent prisoner who is trying to kick and punch you, he won't be height adjustable nor will he factor in your strength.

I mean no offence by this and I am sorry to hear you missed out on the PCA but standards shouldn't be lowered, they should be met. Men have failed the PCA too, just as women have passed it too. It's a fair test in my opinion.

Either way, learn from the experience and come back next time (which according to rumors could be quite soon!). I look forward to reading that you passed in the near future :)

No woman who isn't heavy built could ace the push pull

That's total rubbish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

19087 wrote: »
    That's total rubbish!!

Agreed - there are girls who got it that no one could describe as of heavy build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

The pti who demonstrated the push/pull on the fam night was short and slim but could do it. Obviously technique plays more of a part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

With you there clare rose. Discriminatory towards women. No woman who isn't heavy built could ace the push pull

I have to say this is a ridiculous statement. In my current employment I have a lot of interaction with police. A lot of whom are women and some are quite small and petit.

To prove your statement wrong just look at the PTI who demonstrated the push /pull at the pca they were are quite small and showed how it can be done.

Whilst I accept it may be more difficult for shorter people in general (under 5 foot 6) This would not be discrimination against females.

Advertisement