Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that some people who fail the pca will be desperate to be 'discriminated against' rather than attributing it to their own shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Hi all, think ill throw in a random question before the above turns into an argument lol

Ok haven't gone to the fam pca night yet but had a wee question after reading these fails at push pull. Ok so you have to be able to push / pull 25kg for about 20 sec. One person said they failed by 3kg. Is it an average they take? Or every push pull must hit 26?

I'm away to do some weights now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

Sgtmort wrote: »
    Hi all, think ill throw in a random question before the above turns into an argument lol

Ok haven't gone to the fam pca night yet but had a wee question after reading these fails at push pull. Ok so you have to be able to push / pull 25kg for about 20 sec. One person said they failed by 3kg. Is it an average they take? Or every push pull must hit 26?

I believe your average must hit the target kg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Waghorn

Sgtmort wrote: »

It's an average. The pull is more of a row action in which it's best to use leg and core strength, as well as upper body (push through your front leg). The push also uses your legs, core and chest (push through your back leg) If you're playing rugby you don't go in for a tackle with force just using your arms, it's the same principle.

While weights are good to incorporate into your routine, I recommend 100m sprints on the rower followed by 15 press ups. It will work your core, push and pull power and give you an idea of know knackered you'll be while you're performing the push/pull test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

My Training pretty much consisted of the following

Running - running at least a couple of km most sessions, not particularly fast, just to build endurance. 5k run now and again as recommended in the training program (not once a week though)

Interval training on treadmill - I went for 1 min at 8kmph followed by 1 min at 14kmph for around 15 mins or so. Speeds will depend on your own running speed though

Intervals on rowing machine - 1 min at an easy pace and 1 min flat out, again for around 15 mins

Cross trainer on interval settings, as well as longer (20 mins) cross country sessions from time to time.

Weights - I do a class called body pump (Google is your friend) I really think it helped my strength. Up to 800 reps a class, it's a beasting but very effective.

Pilates - brilliant for core strength and flexibility.

Just thought I'd share what worked for me in case it helps anyone! And for the record, last summer when I started all this (because I had heard recruitment was coming) I couldn't even run 1k without stopping!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Morning guys/girls,

Postman just left, still nothing.

Anyone from the delay group recieve anything from PSNI yet? Or am i on my own?

Hope all your training is going well? :-)

MD4PSNI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

MD4PSNI wrote: »
    Morning guys/girls,

Postman just left, still nothing.

Anyone from the delay group recieve anything from PSNI yet? Or am i on my own?

Hope all your training is going well? :-)

MD4PSNI
    hi there
    there are few of us on another thread ("delay thread") -- all still waiting .. only a couple had rec'd vetting form only, no pca dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

Look at the youtube video of the circuit. Anyone that'sdine PCA, can you confirm your not crawling through the tunnel on your belly. You can nearly fly through on all fours (flat on your feet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

JtmC wrote: »
    Look at the youtube video of the circuit. Anyone that'sdine PCA, can you confirm your not crawling through the tunnel on your belly. You can nearly fly through on all fours (flat on your feet?)

Definitely no need to be on your tummy. But you do need to be on hands and knees. Some smaller people are able to just crouch down but don't chance that cos the poles are easily knocked, especially when you are coming out of the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

JtmC wrote: »

You'll fly through on hands and knees, just make sure you keep low until you're clear. Noo need to belly crawl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LA1919

The next PCA date is end of April so I'm sure a lot of you will hear word before then

LA1919 wrote: »
    The next PCA date is end of April so I'm sure a lot of you will hear word before then
    oooooooooo:eek:
    thankyou
    fingers crossed:D

Yeah defo true so u should prob b hearing within the next few days I would think

hope youz arent just teasing us?? ;-)

defo not I've my PCA done, failed it :-/ but was told that on the day

defo not I've my PCA done, failed it :-/ but was told that on the day
    flip, sorry to hear that! -- fair play to you posting update for rest of us, thankyou.... good luck

Thanks, have been pretty gutted since I found out I failed...r u male or female?

Thanks, have been pretty gutted since I found out I failed...r u male or female?
    i'm sure you are -- but look at it as practice run for next recruitment run.
    short, stumpy, older male :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

I was hoping for a bit longer to train but whatever will be will be. In the office doing press ups here ;) lol

at least when we get dates, can push the training harder for few weeks.. easier to do when you have a goal/date to focus on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

1st training session after a 4 week hiatus complete. Could yet be a blessing in disguise that I won't be doing the PCA anytime soon is all I can say after it ha

Hi all, I'm was in th delay batch. Got my vetting end of feb and got my pca date on Friday (only just seen it as I was away). It defiantly helps to have a date in mind. Hopefully see some of u all there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

Anyone doing the PCA be warned, the week after you'll probably get ill!

I've ended up with a viral throat infection, others have suffered a similar fate I believe.

I'm actually contemplating contacting the psni h&s dept and passing on the experience people on here have had after the PCA - I'm sure there is something suspect about the air in there!!

To be fair, if they aren't told, they may not realise any problem- which there must be as a high % of you seem to have felt do lowsy after it...which could affect your training before and in GV.

I'll probably say something at the medical. They've got better things to do than reply to what they'll see as a BS email about getting a "sore throat".

JayC90 wrote: »
    I'll probably say something at the medical. They've got better things to do than reply to what they'll see as a BS email about getting a "sore throat".

Technically that's not right, their dedicated H&S officer/dept would be duty bound to investigate any potential issue in order to cover the organisation should anything further come of it in future!

19087 wrote: »
    Technically that's not right, their dedicated H&S officer/dept would be duty bound to investigate any potential issue in order to cover the organisation should anything further come of it in future!

Aye you're not wrong, but I don't think we have the email for the H&S dept. The FMO should hopefully be able to pass on any concerns, especially if it comes from more than one person.

I can't imagine recruitment will have the time or will to take on extra work :)

Hi all, got my pca coming up and have my car in the garage after some one hit the back! Anyway, are any cars allowed in G? Or even taxis? Or is there a walk way from the bottom of the drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

You can walk in no problem. You can get a lift to the exterior gates and then walk through also.

Advertisement