Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

Sgtmort wrote: »
    Hi all, got my pca coming up and have my car in the garage after some one hit the back! Anyway, are any cars allowed in G? Or even taxis? Or is there a walk way from the bottom of the drive?

What ever you do don't get a taxi. Unfortunately a lot of undesirables are also taxi drivers.
    It would be a risk to the security of yourself and others and I doubt they would let it through the gate.

But yes you can walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

I was thinking that but don't know the area well enough to say 'drop me at 'sallies corner shop' and walk over if you get my drift!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Sgtmort wrote: »
    I was thinking that but don't know the area well enough to say 'drop me at 'sallies corner shop' and walk over if you get my drift!

You can drive and they even have a car park for you! Crazy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Any taxi driver who is asked to drop you off anywhere close to Garnerville is going to know that you're heading in that way anyway. Just avoid the traditional black taxi cab, because they are all self employed.

Unless the taxi driver actually knows you, get a private hire car from wherever, like Central Station or Europa Bus Station. One of the big firms like Value Cabs (9080 9080) or Fonacab (90 333333) will do. If you're paranoid, sit in the driver's blind spot, which is the rear passenger seat.

If you use either of those 2 companies, you are about as safe as you can get. They don't care. They're just glad of the fare and your face will be completely forgotten by the end of their shift or sooner.

The bottom line is, to a private hire cab company, you're just another fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PTR292

This is my first time posting, been following for a while tho. I got my PCA appointment letter today and the date i got is before the date of the Familiarization day!
    Has this happened to anyone else? Really would have liked to get to the familiarization day first. Not sure if i should email and ask if the date is right, what do you guys/gals think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Orrzo

PTR292 wrote: »
    This is my first time posting, been following for a while tho. I got my PCA appointment letter today and the date i got is before the date of the Familiarization day!
    Has this happened to anyone else? Really would have liked to get to the familiarization day first. Not sure if i should email and ask if the date is right, what do you guys/gals think?

I would definitely query that....also would you mind disclosing your AC score and where you in the delay batch? Just to give us an idea of how far on they are with processing candidates!?

Hi Orrzo,

Yes i was in the delay batch, recieved my vetting forms about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Got an AC score of 68.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Orrzo

Hi Orrzo,

Yes i was in the delay batch, recieved my vetting forms about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Got an AC score of 68.

Thankyou, so thats the high B grades being processed for PCA now :) All the best with your PCA!

Orrzo wrote: »
    Thankyou, so thats the high B grades being processed for PCA now :) All the best with your PCA!

Thanks, same to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

Hi Orrzo,

Great! Thankyou for info- and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Got my PCA letter today too and the familiarisation date is also after the actual test date. Definitely going to check with them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Let us know how that goes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

What number do we ring? Can someone pm me with it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OAaron0

They phoned me today to state that its a typo, should say May instead of April. Also said new letters were sent out this morning to correct them.

Clare1304 wrote: »
    What number do we ring? Can someone pm me with it please?

Did you finally get your date too Clare?

Thanks for the updates folks.

PT93 wrote: »
    Got my PCA letter today too and the familiarisation date is also after the actual test date. Definitely going to check with them tomorrow.

Hi PT93, Ive been looking for contact details for them but havent found any on the letter, do you kbow how to get in contact with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Hi PT93, Ive been looking for contact details for them but havent found any on the letter, do you kbow how to get in contact with them?

I don't quite know mate, after reading further posts from people who seem to be in the same boat I'm sure it's a typo but I still haven't had a call confirming this. Going to look on the internet later for contact details because there's nothing on the letter. I'm sure it's a typo though because most people had 3-4 weeks warning and if the date on the letter is correct, the PCA date given is significantly less time than that.
    *edit: rang up today and yes the letter had the wrong date written on it, new letters will be sent out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

A friend in the force told me they are thinking of changing the PCA due to so many people failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

A friend in the force told me they are thinking of changing the PCA due to so many people failing.

If they do I imagine it would be for the next campaign otherwise there would be am uproar from those who have already failed this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

gmck26 wrote: »
    If they do I imagine it would be for the next campaign otherwise there would be am uproar from those who have already failed this time.

I would say that's right

It'll be controversial either way. What they might do is lengthen the time you have to complete it.

I think it's right that they test fitness levels before offering a place at GV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

I think they will lower the push pull or else maybe introduce a break between it and the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

I've two views on the PCA.

1. It is a very passable test. Some will find it easier than others, just as some will have to prepare for it more than others. In the end, it is a job specfic test of fitness and standards should not be lowered in my opinion.

2. There is an argument for a rest period between the 3 laps and the push/pull. The counter to this is that in a real life situation there wont be any rest.

I think a good alterative would be to have the PCA consist of 2 circuits. Each circuit would consist of a lap of the obstacle and push/pull test, with 1 minute rest between each circuit. That way it's still a maximal fitness assessment, but you would have more energy to tackle the push/pull.

But all that aside, I see the PCA as a fair and rational test. Fitness is incredibly important for police officers, be it for performance, injury prevention or health and wellbeing (especially with shift work).

Agreed.

It's only a basic level of fitness. Officers should have higher standards and be over and above what is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭coogie_boogie

I thought the PCA was a very good test, I honestly think it should be the standard fitness test for all UK Police Forces rather than just the bleep test at level 5.4. I would love to do it again, the whole experience was very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

I'm back!!

I think the PCA is a fair test, not just because I passed it. I worked my sizeable ass off to get fit enough to attempt it and if I can do it, damn sure anyone else can. As for the strength element, if you can't generate 24kg of force, you may not be cut out to deal with offenders, which is why I don't believe they'll reduce that.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Good to have you back Bob!
    I agree, doubt they'll cut it, you always had to pass PCA in GV, it's always been a requirement just further down the line. Still haven't got my date but I am and will continue working hard, determined to pass it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Good to have you back Bob!
    I agree, doubt they'll cut it, you always had to pass PCA in GV, it's always been a requirement just further down the line. Still haven't got my date but I am and will continue working hard, determined to pass it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

So it's definitely 24kg? I've been training with 36kg in mind for some reason.

Advertisement