Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

CDizzle wrote: »
    So it's definitely 24kg? I've been training with 36kg in mind for some reason.

It's 26kg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

That's good then, gives me a bit of leeway when/if i ever get my PCA date!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

Its around 36kg for Met police - their push/pull is a seated test so thats why its heavier...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Hi all, has anyone their pca in April? I haven't heard anyone talk about it, though I may have just missed it. Mine is in April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

Anyone heading to familiarisation event this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

I'm heading up, cya there ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Hi. From the delay email batch.... If you hear any info and your event can you pass on this to us. Would be great if you could.

Good luck for your familiarisation event

Will keep my ears to the ground. We are both b's so hopefully you won't be far behind us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

If you don't mind me asking - have they given the usual AM, afternoon and PM slots for this familiarisation session?

One is mid morning. One is mid afternoon. Assume I'm not allowed to post exact times or am I? They only have one evening session for the familiarisation as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Sorry first bit relates to the test itself. Didn't read your question properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 rickmar

Hello, is there somewhere to get changed into pt gear for the familiarization day or is training gear not needed for this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

^wondering this too, going to travel up in normal clothes with a sports bag with a change of gym clothes if I don't hear otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

rickmar wrote: »
    Hello, is there somewhere to get changed into pt gear for the familiarization day or is training gear not needed for this? Thanks

There are changing facilities, probably best just to go in sports gear anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jko11

Just wondering if anyone had been to the familiarization event, as much as I would love to make it it is looking likely that work commitments may have other ideas, does anyone that has been think that is essential to attend in terms of advice for the actual test,

many thanks

1st time poster, long time reader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

jko11 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone had been to the familiarization event, as much as I would love to make it it is looking likely that work commitments may have other ideas, does anyone that has been think that is essential to attend in terms of advice for the actual test,

many thanks

1st time poster, long time reader

You get 5-10mins as a group on the day of your pca to have a go at the obstacles beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jko11

Thanks, did you attend the familiarization event and if so was it beneficial.

Clare1304 wrote: »
    One is mid morning. One is mid afternoon. Assume I'm not allowed to post exact times or am I? They only have one evening session for the familiarisation as far as I know.

Cheers! Interested to hear of numbers attending or how many days these next set of PCAs span as it at least gives some indication of numbers in each batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

jko11 wrote: »
    Thanks, did you attend the familiarization event and if so was it beneficial.

Yeah I was. Mentally probably a help just for peace of mind to know exactly what had to be done but if you have any kind of decent level of fitness you won't have an issue passing. The main issue was for females and the push pull so if you think you need a practise on the machine the fam event is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I'm in the delay batch with no PCA invite yet but I was contemplating being cheeky and trying to go to two familiarisations, wondering if it would help me / if I could get into two lol. I'd love to trail my PT with me but doubt that's appropriate unfortunately!

• Advertisement

.S. wrote: »
    I'm in the delay batch with no PCA invite yet but I was contemplating being cheeky and trying to go to two familiarisations, wondering if it would help me / if I could get into two lol. I'd love to trail my PT with me but doubt that's appropriate unfortunately!

You need I.d and your invite letter to pca....

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I know, was thinking ahead to when it'll be my turn! Living in the gym at the mo preparing for it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭coogie_boogie

In my opinion the PCA was a tough but really enjoyable test, if you don’t get chance to go to a familiarization session don’t worry – I didn’t as I’m not local but like somebody previously said you have the opportunity to have a quick look before hand. I passed which I was very pleased with – I’m no athlete (mid 20s with a bit of a belly) but going jogging a couple of times a week, using a rowing machine and setting up a small circuit at the gym in work helped me loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

I passed the fitness test and I'm currently dropping a few stone on the back of the scare it gave me.

Run like a champion, duck dive crawl and jump as much as you can. Push yourself on a treadmill as fast as you can for 5 mins flat out, get that "OMG LUNGS ARE ABOUT TO EXPLODE" feeling and you'll be ready for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Can someone remind me is it 2 or 3 times we have to do the circuit? And what time does it need to be in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

Sgtmort wrote: »
    Can someone remind me is it 2 or 3 times we have to do the circuit? And what time does it need to be in?

3 laps followed by push / pull. I believe time is approximately 3:54.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tommy Gunn

Can anyone point me in the direction of the online video for the PCA test?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

http://youtu.be/-XlWiQdwnlA As close to it as you will find, pretty accurate although it has been edited and shortened

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tommy Gunn

Thanks, I've done the familiarization session. But there weren't many at it to judge what kinda pace to try and set.

• Advertisement

Tommy Gunn wrote: »
    Thanks, I've done the familiarization session. But there weren't many at it to judge what kinda pace to try and set.

Do you mind me asking how many were roughly at your familiarisation session?

Cheers.

Advertisement