Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyABC

Mop a top wrote: »
    Seriously don't panic. Start training now. I wasn't the fittest and I passed a few times. It's all mind over matter. How much do you want it? Positive mindset from the start, as soon as you doubt yourself in that course you may as well head home.

Would advice circuit training and sprint between the obstacles in the PCA. Try for a clean run but if you mess up repeat the obstacle and focus on what's next. A lot of folk get flustered and then make more mistakes.

When you say you passed a few times, did something happen in other stages? Sorry for prying

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Does everyone who passes the AC get the same opportunities as the rest or do some never hear further?

Ooo id like to know too!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Tricop

Maybe a silly question...but in Youtube PCA vid it shows the obstacle course and at end mentions 3 laps in 3mins 54secs. Does this mean just finishing on 3 laps or complete the obstacle course 3 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Tricop wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question...but in Youtube PCA vid it shows the obstacle course and at end mentions 3 laps in 3mins 54secs. Does this mean just finishing on 3 laps or complete the obstacle course 3 times?

You do the course 3 times buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 RTGeorge8910

Just posted on the medical thread about BMI. It's worrying to think if you can pass the fitness test you could be binned from the process cause your BMI isn't to the standard.

I'm glad to hear you only have to complete th obstacle course on the 3rd lap and not run the last 20m back to the first cone lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

Just posted on the medical thread about BMI. It's worrying to think if you can pass the fitness test you could be binned from the process cause your BMI isn't to the standard.

I'm glad to hear you only have to complete th obstacle course on the 3rd lap and not run the last 20m back to the first cone lol

what??

you have to do all three laps followed by the (not assessed push/pull) .

you don't go from the last obstacle to the push/pull. the last sprint back to the starting point is the end of lap three.....

my bmi is like 27 (not fat) and at my medical it wasn't even brought up

Sorry must have picked up that previous post wrong. Looking forward to the chance to get a practise run.

Sorry must have picked up that previous post wrong. Looking forward to the chance to get a practise run.

familiarisation gives you the chance to try out each obstacle but sneakily they do not allow you to try a lap..... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

LadyABC wrote: »
    When you say you passed a few times, did something happen in other stages? Sorry for prying

I did it in C1 passed. Vetting took too long and had to repeat it as they expire after 6 months. Then Vetting wasn't sorted and I got a Dear John letter. Passed it in C2

Mop a top wrote: »
    I did it in C1 passed. Vetting took too long and had to repeat it as they expire after 6 months. Then Vetting wasn't sorted and I got a Dear John letter. Passed it in C2

I'm sure you were gutted it expired, but go you! That's super! Well done indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Does everyone who passes the AC get the same opportunities as the rest or do some never hear further?

Kind of yes and no lol.

Basically you're all ranked in merit order according to your AC score. They'll take the top (for arguments sake) 100 candidates and send them the vetting forms. Once they return them and AC&V get to work on them candidates will be invited to a familiarisation day (to get to play on the PCA course) and then to the actual PCA usually 6-8 weeks after the vetting papers were released which again is done on merit order.

Pass the PCA then you're invited to a medical again in merit order and if you pass that you dot in limbo until your vetting has passed and they start making the calls.

Once the first batch has been processed though to PCA they usually send out the next batch of vetting and the process is repeated.

Everyone will get the same vetting papers and complete the same pcavand medical in the same conditions so in that sense everyone is given the same opportunity however IF (small word, big meaning) they all pass and they recruit enough folk before they get to you it seems to be a case of thanks but no thanks and in that respect you're not given the same opportunity as everyone else. In an ideal world (C1) when they don't have to worry about budgets etc the stages are usually about 5 weeks apart.

I wouldn't worry if anyone scored sub 65, people with higher scores might take forever to pass vetting or mightn't at all, or they fail and have to retake the PCA. That's when lower scores progress and get calls before folk with higher ones.

Hope that answered the query, anymore give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

To follow on the Couch 2 5k running program. Take a look at local running clubs as they do this program for free or for a nominal fee. Google 'Jog Belfast'.

That's how I did it. Running with others makes it easier and keeps you committed and motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Absolutely, I think if you can make it a social thing and less about 'the grind' it helps a ton. With the weather we are having at the moment and results just in - there's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Tricop

Homer01 wrote: »
    To follow on the Couch 2 5k running program. Take a look at local running clubs as they do this program for free or for a nominal fee. Google 'Jog Belfast'.

That's how I did it. Running with others makes it easier and keeps you committed and motivated.

And i would also recommend finding your local Parkrun which is a free 5k timed run each Saturday, 9.30am. You can start walk, mix it up with walk/run until you are doing sub 17 mins lol Slow and steady provress is the key!

Tricop wrote: »
    And i would also recommend finding your local Parkrun which is a free 5k timed run each Saturday, 9.30am. You can start walk, mix it up with walk/run until you are doing sub 17 mins lol Slow and steady provress is the key!

Sub 17 haha, reckon I could do that on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Also... If anyone is a bit nerdy like me, there's a 0-5k running app where you get chased by zombies. It's just like the walking dead. On the app store, it costs about £2.

Manygigglesmuchfun

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

Also... If anyone is a bit nerdy like me, there's a 0-5k running app where you get chased by zombies. It's just like the walking dead. On the app store, it costs about £2.

Manygigglesmuchfun

Amazing! Right up my street!!! Thanks chum...

blueboat wrote: »
    Sub 17 haha, reckon I could do that on my bike.

17 minutes!!!!! *wails* I havent a hope in hell here lol even when I was younger and fitter I couldn't have done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

LadyABC wrote: »
    17 minutes!!!!! *wails* I havent a hope in hell here lol even when I was younger and fitter I couldn't have done that!

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

I wouldn't advise the C25K apps as I believe they're terrible for anyone beginning. They start off fine but increase rapidly. The one I had a few years ago was 1 minute 30 seconds running and 40 seconds break, which continued for 5k. I found going to ActiveNI website and signing up for the C25K in my local park was best as I had people to run against and their program was set out better. I found it easy enough to run the 5k after about 6 weeks.

If anyone is looking to cut a few pounds with fun cardio I would suggest downloading Bas Rutten boxing or MMA workouts (they're free) and shadow box or buy a punch bag. Going 10 rounds which takes 28 minutes and trust me, you'll be dripping in sweat. (majority of boxercise classes will follow that as well)

I'd also recommend the nutribullet and having a super shake in the morning.

My shake would be:

1x Banana (fiber, vitamins and insulin spike)
    1x scoop protein (muscle repair)
    handful of spinach (high in protein, fiber and vitamins)
    1x teaspoon almond butter (healthy fats and fiber)
    3x teaspoon L-Glutamine (muscle repair, growth and stops muscle breakdown)
    topped off with non sweetened almond milk

• Advertisement

Manygigglesmuchfun

BUT!!! what happens if you get caught on a bad day??

You're taking a huge gamble seeing as you are starting in GV soon. And also, where do these zombies go whenever you complete your run without them catching you?

Onto the next victim I suspect.....

Pics??

Where are Rick and Darryl when you need em, eh?

You're taking a huge gamble seeing as you are starting in GV soon. And also, where do these zombies go whenever you complete your run without them catching you?

BUT!!! what happens if you get caught on a bad day??

blueboat wrote:
    Where are Rick and Darryl when you need em, eh?

It's class!! There's an episode version where each session is 20-30 mins long. You run at your own speed, and as the zombies find you, you speed up. It uses Google maps of the area your running to tell you were to go. That one has a monthly payment of £2, or get the year sub for £15 - it's brilliant. Definitely do it. It's called Zombies,Run!

The same guys also brought out a 6week training program for a 5k under the same principle. I have it too. Couldn't recommend them enough.

It's class!! There's an episode version where each session is 20-30 mins long. You run at your own speed, and as the zombies find you, you speed up. It uses Google maps of the area your running to tell you were to go. That one has a monthly payment of £2, or get the year sub for £15 - it's brilliant. Definitely do it. It's called Zombies,Run!

The same guys also brought out a 6week training program for a 5k under the same principle. I have it too. Couldn't recommend them enough.

it sounds too extreme for me Delilah. Do the zombies have access to this "google maps" also?

If so count me out.

it sounds too extreme for me Delilah. Do the zombies have access to this "google maps" also?

Well, they haven't reached my flat just yet.

I like the new forum layout! Snazzy! Yeah I think I'm going to drag my butt to park run. Going to be the slowest person there no doubt but diet going well so far and have shifted lots of water weight so far, anytime I want something naughty I just come on here and suddenly the temptation feeling disappears as my gut drops with fear of the PCA lol

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TheCub

That was a nice night for a run!!!

Hope the training is going well guys :)

Anyone received any news of a date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JD2020

With the PCA's for 1509 hopefully coming up soon I was wondering how long the PCA session actually lasts? Getting time off in the summer that hasn't been pre-booked well in advance is a bit of a no no where I work. If I only needed to be away for a couple of hours I could get out for an 'appointment'.
    As a last resort I will have to pull a sicky but hopefully It won't come to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

1.5/2hours

Advertisement