Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mkelly123

Starting to get nervous and jumpy now, PCA is coming up soon and just hoping I can pass.

For last month I have been running 4 nights a week, running just under 2 miles in under 14 minutes.

Also been doing weights every evening along with sit ups etc.

I have seen people say its not that difficult if your reasonably fit but I just feel nervous knowing the clock is ticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

I'm the same, I started doing too much and ran 5k 4 times a week, now I'm trying to repair my shin splints. Gutted as I really feel I have no time for an injury but I guess I ran before I could walk.

Just trying to think positively as I know I can do this

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TheCub

D4z wrote: »
    I'm the same, I started doing too much and ran 5k 4 times a week, now I'm trying to repair my shin splints. Gutted as I really feel I have no time for an injury but I guess I ran before I could walk.

Just trying to think positively as I know I can do this

I'm the same, I've shin splints at the moment.

Would recommend the pool if you want to keep the cardio up, its a lot easier on the joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Just back from the familiarisation! Was really useful and would recommend going. Nice to meet some others too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

When you go for your actual PCA, do you do it alone or does everyone watch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Birchwood11

You go in as one person is just finished and just doing the push and pull. No-one watching you except the guy who will be making sure you do everything right

mkelly123 wrote: »
    Starting to get nervous and jumpy now, PCA is coming up soon and just hoping I can pass.

For last month I have been running 4 nights a week, running just under 2 miles in under 14 minutes.

Also been doing weights every evening along with sit ups etc.

I have seen people say its not that difficult if your reasonably fit but I just feel nervous knowing the clock is ticking.

With that level of fitness you have literally no worries when it comes to being able to pass the PCA. Just take your time on the bits that people make stupid mistakes on, and you'll be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 united9421

Hello all! I'm new to this forum so I'm not entirely sure if this has been asked before. I've started and nearly finished my OL and sent off my vetting forms, (fingers crossed)! But still haven't received anything about the PCA or a familiarisation date. Anybody else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

united9421 wrote: »
    Hello all! I'm new to this forum so I'm not entirely sure if this has been asked before. I've started and nearly finished my OL and sent off my vetting forms, (fingers crossed)! But still haven't received anything about the PCA or a familiarisation date. Anybody else in the same boat?

I would ring them seems odd you got your OL but no pca date check your spam folder !!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Tricop

Made it through PCA this morning....tougher than thought it would be esp from a 'standing start'. But no mistakes, with steady pace seen it well through. Comisserations to those in the 1st half with me who didnt make it thru this this! Hopefully medical/date, etc now mo es as quick as other stages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

Tricop wrote: »
    Made it through PCA this morning....tougher than thought it would be esp from a 'standing start'. But no mistakes, with steady pace seen it well through. Comisserations to those in the 1st half with me who didnt make it thru this this! Hopefully medical/date, etc now mo es as quick as other stages!

Well done tricop!! I felt the same, a lot harder than it looks lol

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/online_learning_and_pca?nocache=incoming-845375#incoming-845375

Check this FOI out guys on the PCA.

This FOI says that 309 candidates were being processed (first round of letters). Most of which should have completed the PCA by now (not including the few who may have deferred).

According to the clarity at the bottom of the page, 154 failed on the first attempt (49%). This seems like a staggeringly high first attempt fail rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

TheCub wrote: »
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/online_learning_and_pca?nocache=incoming-845375#incoming-845375

This FOI says that 309 candidates were being processed (first round of letters). Most of which should have completed the PCA by now (not including the few who may have deferred).

According to the clarity at the bottom of the page, 154 failed on the first attempt (49%). This seems like a staggeringly high first attempt fail rate...

That is high even without the push/pull. I wonder what breakdown looks like: age & sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

It could be that candidates are relying on the fact that they will get a second chance and aren't pushing themselves as hard as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

I wonder how many fail on incorrectly obeying instruction as opposed to physical competence. High regardless.

Its such a high percentage without the push/pull test...

2/10 Women pass compared to 9/10 men according to this article in 2015. That's with the push/pull.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/psni-uturn-on-fitness-test-police-change-policy-on-physical-checks-for-female-candidates-31117024.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

It could be that candidates are relying on the fact that they will get a second chance and aren't pushing themselves as hard as they should.

That's a really, really, really, bad plan. Although I hope more people do it as it will help those of us who actually want it :)

Homer01 wrote: »
    That's a really, really, really, bad plan. Although I hope more people do it as it will help those of us who actually want it :)

I know, but I can imagine some people out there would use the first go as a tester of how hard they need to push.

I wouldn't risk it though, first time I did it I pushed so hard on the first 2 laps I could barely run on the 3rd but managed to pass.

I had attended the familarisation session which made me realise how potentially difficult it would be. I presume many of those who failed didnt take up the opportunity to attend that session and then it would take a real big effort to complete it successfully 1st time if you hadnt seen it before!!

Tricop wrote: »
    I had attended the familarisation session which made me realise how potentially difficult it would be. I presume many of those who failed didnt take up the opportunity to attend that session and then it would take a real big effort to complete it successfully 1st time if you hadnt seen it before!!

Yeah, seeing it in person does give you a better idea of the course and of how difficult it will be, I don't think the video conveys just how hard it is.

• Advertisement

Just a pity it doesnt help move those who passed 1st time up the merit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

Are you allowed to try out the wall during the familiarisation?

Momc82 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to try out the wall during the familiarisation?
    Yes....permitted to do it all...except run it or time yourself. Highly recommend going to it if PCA coming up! Even those who just go and do PCA and fail it, they do have 2nd opportunity but they will only have done it once as opposed to as many times as you want/can do in familarisation! And it still means 2 trips anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

Thanks Tricop.

The Familiarisation session was brilliant. The PCA would be a lot harder if you didn't attend IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mkelly123

Have to agree with the above, even if you go there and don't try anything still beneifcal as it allows you to see the actual layout and length, height of certain objects.

My PCA was over 2 hour drive from my house and I attended the session prior. I listened to how to course was done and only thing I tried was the Wall twice and also dragging the bag, I just wanted to see first hand of how the course was layed out and room for movement between each object.

It paid of for me as when I went into my PCA I knew exactly what I had to do and also gives you good hints on where people make the most mistakes which costs you time. I passed with about 30 seconds to spare.

mkelly123 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the above, even if you go there and don't try anything still beneifcal as it allows you to see the actual layout and length, height of certain objects.

My PCA was over 2 hour drive from my house and I attended the session prior. I listened to how to course was done and only thing I tried was the Wall twice and also dragging the bag, I just wanted to see first hand of how the course was layed out and room for movement between each object.

It paid of for me as when I went into my PCA I knew exactly what I had to do and also gives you good hints on where people make the most mistakes which costs you time. I passed with about 30 seconds to spare.

How did you find the PCA and What level of fitness would you have? That's a good time.

From seeing it at the Far session it seems that accuracy is key to avoid time penaltys which could be costly. I didn't mind the wall at all, but I think being careful in the things where you have to duck is important, very easy to raise the back or head a second too quick and you've knocked over a pole. Equally the jump needs to be treated with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Couldn't recommend the familiarization sessions enough.. Found them a great help and got some great advice from the instructors and other attendees.

My fitness was definitely not the best, I have never been a good runner but even if you do a bit it will help. I was doing 30min jogs/runs at 6mph on the running machine varying the speed in the last 10 mins up to 9mph and back down. I found it very difficult at times but the effort helped.

I finished the PCA with over 40s spare. Saying that though, I went flat out and luckily didn't make any mistakes. Afterwards i felt awful but it was worth it to know i'd passed.

Best advice i can give..

Go to the Familiarization..

When crawling, definitely go on hands and knees (i hit the bar on the familiarization day by going hands and feet)
    Dont stand until hands touch the mat.

When running over the steps touch your hand to each or the top step, and the same going down the other side, it will keep you under the bar. (im 5ft 11")

Take your time on the balance beam its not to stable but can be done in 3 or 4 steps.

Wall is straight forward. (have a few practices at the familiarization day)

Cones same as above.

Kettlebells, swing them for a bit of help turning.

Drag bag, i practiced which line marking on the floor i needed to run to before letting go, it can slide on the floor and still counts. When pulling it back i ran on the right hand side and pulled with my left hand so i could let go and run straight around the cone.

Running to start finish, Just sprint as fast as you can and try to remember why your there. Suffer afterwards knowing you've tried your best and hopefully passed.

Sorry for the long post just hope this can help someone.

Good luck!

Anyone else have their PCA coming up soon?

• Advertisement

PCA passed:) done mine yesterday first thing in the morning. Great to meet some of you guys. Well done to those who passed and for those who didn't get It hopefully you get it next time!

Couple of tips to those doing it.

Your lungs will be burning after you come out. This is normal lol

Make sure to swing the kettle bells around the cones completely don't take them over the top of the cone otherwise it's "back".

Go fast and be accurate. It's completely doable inside the time limit.

All the best to anyone else completing the PCA.

Advertisement