Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Does a fit, strong cop equal a great cop? Is it all about the brawn and nothing else?

If a candidate passes PCA after retest should that hinder them in some way? Bear in mind the mainland forces give you three attempts to pass their fitness test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sydnor87

If you meet the requirements after a retest there should be no issue, you've done what you needed to qualify.

I do think the merit list should be more flexible however, to allow someone who passed the PCA first time to move above those who didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Anyome know what the notice for a retest is?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pottergirl16

swl33t wrote: »
    Anyome know what the notice for a retest is?

Do you mean if you have failed? Or if it has expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Expired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

So pleased to get my PCA done and dusted :D

Had I passed on the first attempt then I wouldn't have met some really great folk at the sessions. Glad they all passed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Smilo89

Homer01 wrote: »

Had I passed on the first attempt then I wouldn't have met some really great folk at the sessions. Glad they all passed too :)
    Well done Homer01 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Congrats homer, real happy to hear that you passed. How did it feel for you this time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Totally agree Homer!! A lovely bunch of potential colleagues!

• Advertisement

blueboat wrote: »
    Congrats homer, real happy to hear that you passed. How did it feel for you this time round?

Thanks blueboat. Definitely felt stronger. Lap 3 on my first attempt was just awful but didn't feel anywhere as bad this time. Improved on previous time by a good 30 seconds so well pleased. I followed a simple training plan and it clearly paid off.

My advice to future PCA takers is if you don't pass first time make sure to attend the support sessions as they really help. I think all those that attended the sessions passed.

Felt a bit bad for those who got the skinny envelope as I've been that person and it's no fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Well done homer!

Thanks blueboat. Definitely felt stronger. Lap 3 on my first attempt was just awful but didn't feel anywhere as bad this time. Improved on previous time by a good 30 seconds so well pleased. I followed a simple training plan and it clearly paid off.

My advice to future PCA takers is if you don't pass first time make sure to attend the support sessions as they really help. I think all those that attended the sessions passed.

Felt a bit bad for those who got the skinny envelope as I've been that person and it's no fun :(

Again totally agree with Homer! I passed yesterday to at the retest but defo the sessions really helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

Can't agree more with the guys about the support sessions. Totally makes a difference. I got my time down by 45 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Just as a matter of interest how many roughly seemed to be receiving second failures?

Remember a previous FOI staying only 4 people had failed at PCA stage which I just can't believe is true.

Just as a matter of interest how many roughly seemed to be receiving second failures?

Remember a previous FOI staying only 4 people had failed at PCA stage which I just can't believe is true.

I think in our bunch yesterday 4 at the most failed!

Hard to tell; maybe 5 or 6 didn't pass yesterday. There's another session to catch those that deferred their original date.

Also quite a few folk never returned after their initial test. Maybe time for another FOI!

I think in our bunch yesterday 4 at the most failed!

Probably more accurate; I was still in shock at passing lol

Probably more accurate; I was still in shock at passing lol

Homer I don't think I'll ever get over the shock of it!!!!

Interesting, thanks for the replies.

I remember seeing in the past that 1 in 4 people exited at the PCA stage but that was back in the push/pull days. Then when a FOI from a few months back said that only 4 had failed their PCAs was quite interested to know if that was true too.

Gives hope to lower scorers when you see that people have failed/failed to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Nice one Homer01! Congratulations :):)

What did you feel made the difference between your first session and this one? Were you just fitter overall or did they give your tips on technique that helped with the time? What was the training programme that they gave you - are you allowed to share it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Delightscience

Congrats Homer!! They use the bleep test as a tool to see how fit you are and also as a training method. They advise interval sprints and to follow the programme they set out in the original guidance document

C3POPO wrote: »
    Nice one Homer01! Congratulations :):)

What did you feel made the difference between your first session and this one? Were you just fitter overall or did they give your tips on technique that helped with the time? What was the training programme that they gave you - are you allowed to share it?

I definitely trained harder but the sessions helped improved confidence and settle nerves.

Each session involved a beep test. This helps them and you get an idea of your fitness level. PT said we should all be aiming for 6.5.
    I personally noticed big improvements each time I took it.
    Then we got a good bit of time to practice on the course and speak with the PT's.

Finally we got two timed laps of the PCA followed by push/pull. This is the gold in the session. It allows you to see your time improve each time and allow you try different techniques without fear of failure.

The whole atmosphere in the sessions is very relaxed and helpful.

I do think it would be beneficial to offer these type of sessions pre PCA.

Dust off this thread for those heading that direction. Loads of good info in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

Well done to the guys on getting the progression emails I'm sure it's a great relief ! Been a good while since I completed my PCA now for 1509 (ac score early 60s) but just want to give my 2 pence worth while I'm chilling (yea right... lol) waiting on the call. I wouldn't consider myself fit in the slightest but got stuck into the running coming up to the PCA, it definately got me through it. I think I was around 20 secs under the pass mark and gave it my all. Came out of it on the verge of throwing up but it is maximal after all. My advice would be to get stuck into the cardio asap and you'll get through it no bother, if I can do it anyone can! Good luck everyone!

Worth a bump as some of us will probably be getting PCA dates in the next few weeks. Everyone training?l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Timetravel wrote: »
    Worth a bump as some of us will probably be getting PCA dates in the next few weeks. Everyone training?l

Hard to pull oneself out of bed to go for a morning run these cold mornings but hating my current job makes it alot easier. :D

Would i be right in thinking they will wait to see who doesnt return vetting forms before sending out PCA dates?

Would i be right in thinking they will wait to see who doesnt return vetting forms before sending out PCA dates?

Probably about right.

• Advertisement

If you were in two minds about it the vetting forms could definitely put you off taking it further

Advertisement