Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

I was there today too.

I was most concerned about the stair aspect so it was good to give it a go and see which technique worked best, as with the tunnel.

Onwards to the real thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

Thanks muffins

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Good luck to all you guys headin to do PCA! Just give it your all cos its less than 4 minutes that can land yous your dream job!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Babybuns

Good luck to all you guys headin to do PCA! Just give it your all cos its less than 4 minutes that can land yous your dream job!

How do you hear about the familiarisation days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Muffins5520

Babybuns wrote: »

How do you hear about the familiarisation days

An email with your PCA date and Familirisation date

What score bracket are you guys that are fishing the pca in,going by the FOI how many more people are they going to appoint because 8 intakes and 40-50 in a intake is big numbers

What score bracket are you guys that are fishing the pca in,going by the FOI how many more people are they going to appoint because 8 intakes and 40-50 in a intake is big numbers

Anybody on here in the group that finished online at the start of the month?

How do you go about asking for these foi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Quick question, on the day of the test is there any sort of warmup pre-test or is it a case of a few static stretches outside the hall lol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Quick question, on the day of the test is there any sort of warmup pre-test or is it a case of a few static stretches outside the hall lol?

Think the pti said you can only warm up in the corridor outside

Timetravel wrote: »
    Think the pti said you can only warm up in the corridor outside

Yea this is true, though the nerves make ya run up and down to the loos!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

For those of you about to do the PCA, I just wanted to re-share a previous post of mine (Post #2,852) with some tips. Hope they help:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057094180/191?

The previous page (190) has a great post from Tackleberry as well! :)

Good luck everybody!!!!

Interesting reading on both posts - thanks for pointing this out C3POPO! 

Can't wait to get it done and over with.  The familiarisation day was invaluable and have a very good idea in my head of which techniques suit me best.  Now all I have to do is put it into practice!

Can't wait to get it done and over with.  The familiarisation day was invaluable and have a very good idea in my head of which techniques suit me best.  Now all I have to do is put it into practice!

That is a great idea! Have a plan in your head on how you will tackle each obstacle and run through it your head before you do the actual test. Once they say "three, two, one GO" you will get total tunnel vision and there is no time to think, you just charge on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

C3POPO wrote: »
    That is a great idea! Have a plan in your head on how you will tackle each obstacle and run through it your head before you do the actual test. Once they say "three, two, one GO" you will get total tunnel vision and there is no time to think, you just charge on :)

I did that is campaign 1. It's really good to have run through mentally in the weeks beforehand, even though the PTI is there to direct you, having a 'mental map' of the course really helps you to maintain orientation and cuts down on valuable seconds if you were to wait/slow down for direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

[font=Arial","sans-serif]Hi guys, unfortunately I was unable to get to the familiarisation day and will do doing the PCA soon. Is the youtube video from 2015 still up to date? Is it the same layout and obstacles etc? I think it may help if I try to memorise the course beforehand. Thanks and good luck to everyone, let’s smash it![/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

MayDupname wrote: »
    [font=Arial","sans-serif]Hi guys, unfortunately I was unable to get to the familiarisation day and will do doing the PCA soon. Is the youtube video from 2015 still up to date? Is it the same layout and obstacles etc? I think it may help if I try to memorise the course beforehand. Thanks and good luck to everyone, let’s smash it![/font]

I never went to the one for my campaign. No sweat. On the day they show you around the course and you get a small amount of time to try out any aspects you are worried about, you just aren't allowed to run the whole thing in order.

My advice; chill out. It's easily achievable and your main goal should be not to make any mistakes as these cost you time. I recently redid mine for the first time in over a year and smashed it, with zero training in between the two (it's pretty hard to work out after a shift!). The online video is still accurate so by all means watch it but don't get too focussed on it or you'll lose track of the bigger picture

Passed PCA, to say I'm relieved is an understatement. Good luck to everyone still waiting to do it.

• Advertisement

Brilliant - well done!  Just out of curiosity, do they give you your time when it's done?

Passed PCA, to say I'm relieved is an understatement. Good luck to everyone still waiting to do it.

Im so so happy for ya! Was your time good?
    Hopefully medical date soon too!

Brilliant - well done!  Just out of curiosity, do they give you your time when it's done?

Thanks buddy and no they torture you and make you wait until you are leaving the site before you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Congrats mate :)

Mines is VERY soon too, excited and nervous. How long did the whole thing last?

Congrats mate :)

Mines is VERY soon too, excited and nervous. How long did the whole thing last?

About an hour and a half for me but a batch of us who had completed it were allowed to leave whilst others were still waiting to do it.

Goodluck with it, you'll be grand though, I was quite nervous before hand and during but surprised myself with the time I achieved.

So even if you feel you are doing a horrible job of it, don't give up just keep pushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Well done JC!

Have to say I'm really looking forward to it.  I want to remain positive but I don't want to be over-confident and mess it up! Good luck with your forthcoming medical :)

Timetravel wrote: »
    Well done JC!

Cheers :-)

Congrats Johannes_Cabal - it's a great feeling to get that pass! Well done! :) What was your time?

• Advertisement

Have to say I'm really looking forward to it.  I want to remain positive but I don't want to be over-confident and mess it up! Good luck with your forthcoming medical :)

It is a good experience, just give it your all, I tried to go as fast as possible on the sprint sections and take my time with the actual obstacles and by the 3rd lap I felt like I was walking.

Advertisement