Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarenbridge/Rahoon road at rush hour

Options
  • 30-11-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I recently moved to co Galway and will start working near Rahoon rd next week.

Could anyone tell me what is the best way to get there at 9 am from Clarenbridge and how long it will take? Google maps and other sites give the shortest way but don't take traffic jams into consideration and unfortunately my car was at the garage up to today so I didn't get a chance to do some trial run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Give yourself about 1 hr. Which ever way you come be it through briarhill or by the dublin road you will be dealing with the worst of Galway traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

hi awanderer,

Your very limited to the routes you can take, you will have to use the quincentennial bridge.From Past experience this is pretty good route but the dublin road can be very busy so i would avoid it. but galway lacks outer bypass, so you have to use certain routes.
    Here is the route: http://goo.gl/maps/Hgkcy

i will post the other route tomorrow if other board haven't reigned in with there route

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

At least 45 mins will be required probably closer to an hour as you will hit bad traffic all along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Lundar. wrote: »
    hi awanderer,

Your very limited to the routes you can take, you will have to use the quincentennial bridge.From Past experience this is pretty good route but the dublin road can be very busy so i would avoid it. but galway lacks outer bypass, so you have to use certain routes.
    Here is the route: http://goo.gl/maps/Hgkcy

i will post the other route tomorrow if other board haven't reigned in with there route

Thanks a lot.

I was wondering, which roads are the most busy at that time and if going up, by Briarhill, would be better or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

OP I think it maybe a case of trial and error. Generally when i am coming from oranmore/clarenbridge side i come through the dublin road.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I must admit that I am a bit worried. I didn't expect that traffic would be such a problem when I took the job. I never ever drove in traffic and the idea of doing it on unknown roads isn't tempting. Hopefully, after a few weeks, I'll be able to work early or late shifts and avoid the traffic:o. Who am I to complain, I have a job after all:).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I do pretty much the same route every morning; Kilcolgan to NUIG.
    • Leave at 0730 arrive at 0800
    • Leave at 0745 arrive at 0830
    • Leave at 0800 arrive at 0900 at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

awanderer wrote: »
    I never ever drove in traffic and the idea of doing it on unknown roads isn't tempting.

So given that you just moved here, why on earth did you move to Clarenbridge, given that you're working on the other side of the river?

Do you have an option to move closer to work?

I do pretty much the same route every morning; Kilcolgan to NUIG.
    • Leave at 0730 arrive at 0800
    • Leave at 0745 arrive at 0830
    • Leave at 0800 arrive at 0900 at the earliest

Thanks, that is very handy to know.
    So given that you just moved here, why on earth did you move to Clarenbridge, given that you're working on the other side of the river?

Do you have an option to move closer to work?

I live about 20 minutes from Clarenbridge, I asked about Clarenbridge/Rahoon as I have to go through Clarenbridge whichever way I go and my problem was, once I am in Clarenbridge what do I do?

It is indeed not ideal. My OH's job however is 50 minutes drive in the opposite direction and every mile closer from my job is a mile farther from his.

It is indeed not ideal. My OH's job however is 50 minutes drive in the opposite direction and every mile closer from my job is a mile farther from his.

If you live 20 minutes from clarenbridge then you need to add that to the calculations above. At least 75 minutes so for the journey increasing to about 90.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    If you live 20 minutes from clarenbridge then you need to add that to the calculations above. At least 75 minutes so for the journey increasing to about 90.

From the other posts, I calculated 80 minutes both way (20 minutes to Clarenbridge, one hour from Clarenbridge to my job). As I said it is far from ideal but better than not working:(.

I was told that after 3 weeks, I would be able to work shifts, if I can start very early in the morning or late in the evening I am hoping that I will be able to spend much less time commuting.

At the moment we live in a beautiful spot and hope we won't have to move but we might have have to reconsider if the commuting became too much for me.

From the other posts, I calculated 80 minutes both way (20 minutes to Clarenbridge, one hour from Clarenbridge to my job). As I said it is far from ideal but better than not working:(.

I was told that after 3 weeks, I would be able to work shifts, if I can start very early in the morning or late in the evening I am hoping that I will be able to spend much less time commuting.

At the moment we live in a beautiful spot and hope we won't have to move but we might have have to reconsider if the commuting became too much for me.

Well i would estimate 50 mins with no traffic. You need to add a lot of allowances for rush hour traffic. Leave yourself plenty of time until you get a feel for things. Your commute will improve if you can move shifts to off peak traffic times

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Just aim to be going through Clarenbridge no later than 0740.
    You'll have a reasonable commute and save yourself 2.5 hours per week of sitting in traffic.

Advertisement